Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Why does my chain keep riding up the sprocket
  • thepodge
    Free Member

My chain runs perfectly smoothly through the chain tensioner and around the sprocket when on the work stand but as soon as I put any resistance through it the chain rides up on the sprocket and slips.

Its as if the distance between the chain links is increasing meaning each link is too long to fit between the sprocket teeth.

I’ve adjusted the chain line from perfect to miles out and it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

The chain is a brand new sram 9 speed, maybe not the best SS chain but being brand new I can’t see it being an issue.

The alfine sprocket is second hand but looks like it has quite a lot of life left in it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Is the sprocket designed for a 1-8th chain? As a SS chain and a 9speed are different thicknesses. This would cause the problem.

thepodge
    Free Member

Er… Never thought about that. Also I have no idea if the Alfine sprocket is designed for one or the other.

Honest question. why would the width make any difference when it seems to be the length causing the problem?

Stoner
    Free Member

as above, id say that the 9spd chain which is designed to ride up as soon as it receives side load from a sprocket tooth, with a 1/8th tooth probably is the cause.

I recently swapped my 9spd chain off the SS for a SS specific chain as I was getting problems when honking the pedals – the rear triangle was deforming sufficiently for the chain side plates to engage with the sprocket and derail even when the surly tugnut was tight as a banjo string.

Stoner
    Free Member

its not the length. All normal sprockets and chainrings are designed around a 1/2″ pitch. It looks like length because the chain link is riding up the tooth out of the valley.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

If the sprocket is too wide for the chain to fit in the chain it will ride up the sprocket trying to throw it off. You should have a little play (side to side) if the chain is the correct fit. If it’s a 9speed chain in a SS/1-8th sprocket it will have no play

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

SS chain for the win!

thepodge
    Free Member

having run no end of bodged ss and fixies with whatever old bits I had in the spares box I was a bit surprised the new chain didn’t work but I’ll give a proper ss chain a go.

any recommendations?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Izumi chain! Used on track bikes cheap and strong!!

thepodge
    Free Member

ace, thanks for all that

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m back.

Just fitted a sram PC-1 1/8th chain and its made no difference at all.

Any more suggestions?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

worn sprocket

Stoner
    Free Member

^ if it really is slipping up over the teeth thats the only thing left to explain it.

How old/knackered is it?

dadandlad
    Free Member

Just had exactly the same problem,fit new chain jumping and slipping adjusted cable tension to no avail.
    Had another look this evening discovered wheel not sat in dropouts correctly.
    Put bike on floor released quick release, retightend and gears now perfect.
    Feel like a right wally but pleased its cured

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m thinking it could be the sprocket as well, cant be anything else really can it? Hopefully JRA can sort me out.

Dadandlad, I’ve done similar silly things in the past but this time i know its all sat properly.

dobo
    Free Member

if its not the sprocket the only other thing i think it could be is that your chain alignment is slightly out and your sproket is a bit fusy and throwing it off.

if it always throws outwards then try spacing it outwards, if it always throws inwards then try spacing it inwards. probably only need to adjust it a few mm at a time.
    worth a bit of trial and error before you splash on a sproket.

though it does sound like the sproket is the issue.

dadandlad
    Free Member

Dadandlad, I’ve done similar silly things in the past but this time i know its all sat properly.

Spent two rides trying to sort it out 😳

thepodge
    Free Member

dobo, from my first post

I’ve adjusted the chain line from perfect to miles out and it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

nicko74

If the sprocket’s worn, is it reversible like Rohloff ones?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve mailed a couple of local places to see if they can sort me out with a new one and fit it as its a bit of a bugger

thepodge
    Free Member

new sprocket seems to have done the trick so far

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Why does my chain keep riding up the sprocket’ is closed to new replies.