Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why does having a ‘couple of spares’ lead to building a new bike?
  • Vortexracing

Right, I’ve got some On-one carbon forks that don’t appear to be selling on here. So instead of waiting or trying fleabay, I suddenly see a thread on SS and think,I don’t have one of those.

I have some spare wheels, and a seat post and saddle, so i start thinking maybe I could build a cheapish SS rigid and before you know it i’m on Merlin/CRC/Wiggle looking for bits to finish it.

Question is :-

Anybody else need very little excuse to building bikes, and how the hell can having a set of forks suddenly be a perfect excuse to build another bike?

How wide spread is this addiction?

billybob
    Free Member

i’m sure all the excuse you need is a spare nipple.

Vortexracing

Do you mean

Jenga
    Free Member

I’ve got as spare set of wheels, bars, stem and saddle and have been thinking that I don’t need much to build those up into a full bike.

schroedingers-cat
    Free Member

never happens to me with bikes but I’ve got at least one guitar that started out as a spare pair of pickups…….

daveevs
    Free Member

Built two bikes from spares and have just sold one on. Tidy!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

That disease made me make an second bike (hardtail) for those rides that didn’t need a full sus or rides with family where a full sus would look, well, daft.

Soon the hardtail started getting ridden more and more and so needed blinger bits etc.

keeping 2 bikes is an expensive habit. It rarely stops with just your spare bits or cast offs fro your main bike.

Rikoshea
    Free Member

I had a spare pair of forks, thought i’d put them on my Inbred ss, My mate was selling some disc brakes, i could sell the frame, get a slot drop and maybe build an Alfine rear end and use it for commuting/Sits etc when all turns to sh!t.sold the Inbred whole.

I ended up with a Ti Van Nic SS frame
    Hope/Mavic front Wheel
    Alfine/Mavic Rear
    Stylo Cranks
    Marzocchi Marathon race forks
    Easton/Smica finishing kit.
    The only things i used off my original idea was a saddle and the bloody forks i had spare to start with, Although i am about 1400 quid lighter i suppose!!
    So much for a cheap upgrade.

Oh, and based on this, it should be a lovely dry summer this year ;0)

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Coolhandluke, i have spent today clearing out the garage to fit some more wall hooks for the fleet, 6 of the buggers in there now and you can bet they all need a chain at the same time an all!

flatback
    Free Member

get your wife in to cycling then fit all your slightly used stuff to her bike and keep buying new for yourself!!

Vortexracing

She won’t have any of it.

it looks like all the new builds are going to have to be for me 🙂

If i build this SS/rigid coolhand this will be 5 !

and of course they are all NEEDED

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why does having a ‘couple of spares’ lead to building a new bike?’ is closed to new replies.