Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Why can't everyone play nice on here ?
  • oldfart

I should know better but reading the Zesty /Spicy thread made me think peace brothers n sisters life’s precious and too short ! 😀 Just out of interest i’ve had my Spicy a year now and as i’ve said before i love it and how it climbs so well with that much travel never ceases to amaze me .As for heading in a downward direction well WHOOO HOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Decided on the Spicy as my other choice of Meta 5 was having big probs with cracking frames and until i read this thread never heard of Lapierre problems .So will now give mine the once over to double check .Mind seeing as i weigh about as much as a wet fart and ride like a girl i can’t see any problems .(famous last words ? hope not ! ) 8)

Bagstard
    Free Member

Ride like a girl! Rachael Atherton? 😀

neninja
    Free Member

There does seem to be a fair bit of testosterone and chest beating from time to time.

Shame really as most folk on here seem sound (if a little niche)

rOcKeTdOg

if not here, where would all the massive egos fit?, the internerd isn’t THAT big!

wwaswas

I thought it had calmed down a bit now TJ and Al had called a truce.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I seem to have a talent for getting into stupid rows over nothing. I am not the only one by a long way either.

scaredypants

I reckon it’d be pretty boring without some of the banter
    (could do without some of the “epic battles” mind 😉 )

anyhow, at least you got something helpful out of the thread oldfart, in amongst the rest (haven’t read it at all)

daznal
    Free Member

Mmm checked the spelling and punctuation,couldn’t find any thing to comment on there,not even a pic to pull apart.Only the fact that you’ve bought a bike that translates to “the peter” gives me any thing to smile about.

Sad day

wwaswas

will be back to full BATTLE-KNOBLORD strength soon.

bit of bracing with a spoon in appropriate places and you’ll be fine.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I seem to have a talent for getting into stupid rows over nothing

That’s the most sensible thing I’ve ever seen you write 😉

…even if I have been dragged in more than once 😳

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m re-grouping but will be back to full BATTLE-KNOBLORD strength soon.

Sounds like that could be quite a short but hard process.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oi

Tortoise face. How dare you say that. Step outside now!

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Agree wholeheartedly. Different strokes for different folks.

Some folk around here could start a fight in an empty house. Keyboard heroes.

Would like to see more funnies and a bit less bickering. Left stw alone for ages because I got fed up with it, came back recently, no change. 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Step outside now!

can we at least wait until it stops raining??

PS do you mind if I take your quote and start a whole new thread? I thing it will be the most uplifting one on STW EVER

ThePilot
    Free Member

+1
    Some people’s aggressive attitudes really get on my nerves. I’ve noticed more and more posts where people have asked for advice or are thinking out loud or trying to work something and they’ve got a load of nasty, petty comments (as well as some useful replies of course).
    I do think it’s a great site most of the time though with mostly nice people.

oldfart

I always thought the unwritten rule on t’internet was don’t let yer mouth write cheques that your fists can’t cash ! :lol:Guess that will need changing when cheques are phased out !!!!Maybe don’t say things on a keyboard that you wouldn’t to someone’s face !

SBrock
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I’m re-grouping but will be back to full BATTLE-KNOBLORD strength soon.

At least you admit your a Knob – respect to you!

kaesae
    Free Member

Perhaps it is simply the digital manifestation of sexual frustration, the causes of which are Wee Cocks and Big Fannies ❓

😯 🙁 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There are a number of reasons for the arguments I believe

Often nuance is lost due to the nature of text based chat. That leads to misunderstandings and people getting irate

There are folk like me who find it very hard to let something lie – either a need to get the last word or a need to keep explaining. There are a good few of us and when two clash then the debate goes on for ever.

There there is the “internet policeman” who feels its their duty to correct things that folk type and will often be very abrupt and rude in doing so. They believe it is justifiable to put people down.

Then there is the funny guy whos humour simply does not work. What they think is a funny comment comes over as snippy and bitchy.

Some folk believe that you should act and react as you would in real life, not saying anything you wouldn’t to someones face, others think “its just the internet” and fire away. A recipe for clashes.

The vast majority of folk on here are decent people. Its often the limitations of a text based debate and the lack of social mores for internet debates that lead to the arguments.

I’ve mentioned before the way real life mountain bikers are completely opposite to STW mountain bikers.

I go to races and chat to other people in the pits or campsite, or even while racing, and everyone gets on.
    I meet people in the Wyre Forest and, as locals, we always invite visitors to tag on to our group so we can show them around.

You only have to make some innocent comment or observation on STW for someone to come back with an indignant disproportional reply…

“I prefer bridleways to trail centres”
    “What’s wrong with trail centres, no one’s forcing you to ride them”

“I find that on a single speed I have to attack short hills and use inertia to get up them, while geared riders change down to a lower gear and crawl up them.”
    “So you think you’re a riding god, overtaking all geared riders up every hill on your single speed.”

It’s a bit like pedestrians who will shuffle around each other in a crowded sopping centre, politely letting other people through when it causes them no inconvenience, then start pushing in and tooting their horn as soon as they get outside and get in their cars.

I can’t see any way of avoiding them, I suppose the best bet is to make a note of who the STW horn tooters are and wind them up whenever possible.

aracer
    Free Member

You missed out that some of us just enjoy an argument 😉 (doing it on here, helps make us more chilled in real life)

oldfart

TJ how elequently put sir ! (go on flame me for spelling can’t be arsed to check it ! )

JtotheP68
    Free Member

I go on a lot of music/musicians forums and they are generally far more respectful with each other and helpful if you have a question. Singletrackworld stands out, in my view, in that there is a sizable number of members on here who just come across as complete cocks and wish to force there objectionable views and smart arse put downs on everyone else.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer – there is a difference between debate and argument 😉

MTQG – actually I think you find that even the real numpties on here are decent in person. there is only a couple of folk I would actively avoid and I have met many great folk thru here.

aracer
    Free Member

I go on a lot of music/musicians forums and they are generally far more respectful with each other and helpful if you have a question.

But do you discuss things as wide ranging as we do on here, or just stick to music stuff? I don’t suppose which plectrum is best has anything like the potential for emotional involvement that the best way to carry your baby on a bike does.

It’s quite easy to avoid the heated threads if you want, and there is a lot of useful stuff on here. Also notable that people are generally quite happy to lay down arms and help out people they were arguing with earlier. Are you really suggesting that people on here aren’t helpful when you ask a question?

kaesae
    Free Member

Let’s face it ❗ as long as you remember that STW is the online MTB equavalent to a mad house, you’ll be fine 😉

It’s quite easy to avoid the heated threads if you want…

Well, yes, once they’ve become heated it is.
    It’s the way an innocent thread about whether backpacks are better than frame bags can become heated that makes it difficult at times to have a sensible discussion.

JtotheP68
    Free Member

I don’t suppose which plectrum is best has anything like the potential for emotional involvement that the best way to carry your baby on a bike does.

Oh dear, your belittlement of what may, or may not, be discussed on a musicians forum has really just reinforced in my mind everything I just said. I rest my case.

I would also imagine that they would be incredulous at some of the crap that can be talked on here about something as simple as a bicycle tyre or a chain.

Dobbo

There are a number of reasons for the arguments I believe

Often nuance is lost due to the nature of text based chat. That leads to misunderstandings and people getting irate

There are folk like me who find it very hard to let something lie – either a need to get the last word or a need to keep explaining. There are a good few of us and when two clash then the debate goes on for ever.

There there is the “internet policeman” who feels its their duty to correct things that folk type and will often be very abrupt and rude in doing so. They believe it is justifiable to put people down.

Then there is the funny guy whos humour simply does not work. What they think is a funny comment comes over as snippy and bitchy.

Some folk believe that you should act and react as you would in real life, not saying anything you wouldn’t to someones face, others think “its just the internet” and fire away. A recipe for clashes.

The vast majority of folk on here are decent people. Its often the limitations of a text based debate and the lack of social mores for internet debates that lead to the arguments.

Good post and pretty much sums it up with the addition of what aracer said that some just enjoy an argument, not that that’s a major problem!

Oh dear, your belittlement of what may, or may not, be discussed on a musicians forum…

See what I mean ? It’s started already.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Classic example on the event thread. I tried to be helpful but in hindsight was not clear, BWD misunderstood what I was meaning and came down on me like a ton of bricks as he thought I was saying something really stupid.

Not getting at BWD at all – just an example of how things go wrong.

Scamper
    Free Member

Been some Epic threads which although not obviously funny for those directly concerned had some great humour added – the mint sauce keyring, the odd dodgy classifieds seller thread and more recently the poster who got confused by the 7/7 inquest.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Mmm, my thread about TJ’s admission above seems to have vanished into thin air. Is this the start of some forum cleansing?

Curious

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s also a tremendous badge of honour to be banned from…

No it’s not.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh dear, your belittlement of what may, or may not, be discussed on a musicians forum has really just reinforced in my mind everything I just said.

😆 You’re going to have to enlighten me about what you do actually discuss on a musician’s forum, given my complete lack of experience in such matters. Was just trying to pluck (SWIDT?) an example out of the air – do you also react like that on your musician forums?

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s also a tremendous badge of honour to be banned from..

I’m suprised you’ve got enough room for all the badges!!You’re going to have go some to get as many as you’ve had on Boards. 😉

yunki
    Free Member

To a newcomer it is a nob rich environment.

Especially if you’re a bit of a nob yourself..

when I first stumbled into the forum looking for info and advice, I thought that I had mistakenly uncovered some sort of a hornets nest of throwbacks from Tom Browns Schooldays, fine tuning their scornful contempt before entering the House of Commons with all the sniping and jeering and bitching and sneering..

‘Ye gods….!’ thought I.. ‘these scoundrels need taking down a peg or two.. they are blatantly off their faces on their own sense of self importance..’

so I waded in with a few choice opinions of my own..
    within a minute or two I realised that I had become the sneering pillock by association and that others were now finding me to be an arrogant and slimy turd.. so I was in turn attacked.. and then they became the thing they hated.. and were attacked in turn..

it’s a cyclic thing… a self fulfilling prophecy..
    it’s probably the subject of much debate in sociology circles..

wwaswas

It’s also a tremendous badge of honour to be banned from…

but not all people who are banned start ‘Do you know who I am?’ (to which the traditional response is ‘Ask Matron, she’ll rtell you.’) type correspondence with the site owners…

grum
    Free Member

I think it’s a feature of all very busy forums tbh that it gets a bit ‘rowdy’ – I used to go on DogsOnAcid (a drum and bass forum) when it was really busy and there was at least as bad arguments and trolling etc.

It can be harsh on here and the arguments can get annoying (I’m trying my best to stay out of political threads now) but the level of info you get on here is pretty mind-blowing at times, not just bike related either. I’ve met some sound people off here too.

And Junkyard.

Rorschach
    Free Member

but the level of misanthropic BS you get on here is pretty mind-blowing at times, not just bike related either.

Fixed that for you 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Why can't everyone play nice on here ?’ is closed to new replies.