why bother upgrading cranks to external BB?

Home Forum Bike Forum why bother upgrading cranks to external BB?

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • why bother upgrading cranks to external BB?
  • orangeboy

I like nice stuff I won’t appologise for recommending the rs8 Phil wood combo
    Far prefer that set up to the xx1 I’ve got

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Junkyard – lazarus

its like when folk tell me they can tell forks flex and maxles are stiffer.

TBH I find it hard to see how you can’t feel it- with maxles etc I’m not that bothered, it doesn’t really change how I ride but the braking flex on 32s frinstance is pretty intrusive, you can see it never mind feel it (assuming you’re daft enough to look!)

TuckerUK – Member

See, I’m fairly positive that isn’t true (having seen a guy put a square taper axle in a vice and try to twist it).

Try and twist it with what? You put a lot more force on cranks while riding than you can easily do in a vice.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Everyone has different experiences. For me, square taper was a pain to work on, creaked lots and felt flexy. Ht2 is much easier to work on, doesn’t creak and feels more solid. Now this may be due to the kit I was using or me being a bad mechanic but either way, I would not go back to square taper if you paid me.

Junkyard

braking flex

Perhaps I dont mince as much as you 😉

I may one day try swapping forks to see if I can really feel it as I have never done back to back tests tbh – no that will never happen i dont care that much but i have one on hardtail and one on an orange so its not exactly an even test.

TuckerUK

Try and twist it with what? You put a lot more force on cranks while riding than you can easily do in a vice.

200lbs of body weight on the other crank. You can put any more force on the pedal than you weigh (well, apart from jumping on the pedal of course).

coastkid

Square Taper Phil Wood BBs and Middleburn RS7s are a great set up.

Middleburn stand by their claim that no one has bent a pair of RS7s, including trials riders :wink:.

Phil Wood square taper BBs don`t need any quotes as everyone knows of their preformace 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘why bother upgrading cranks to external BB?’ is closed to new replies.