Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Why are there no serious Garmin alternatives?
  • kermit
    Free Member

I’d really quite like something like the Edge 1030 with the ability to recommend MTB routes based on how much other riders have ridden them in the past, but I just can’t bring myself to actually spend any more money with Garmin after nightmare experiences with an Edge 800 and their appalling customer services.

Having looked around for alternatives and realised that there really aren’t any at all, it got me thinking that I’ve never previously tried to buy anything at all which didn’t have at least one competitor!

Anyone have any thoughts as to why there aren’t any real competitors for the high end Garmin devices?

scotroutes

Cos it’s hard.

akira

Hammerhead Karoo might be alternative but only pre production tests so far, real world opinions should be appearing soon.

kermit
    Free Member

@scotroutes so are lots of things! Can you think of any other area of consumer goods where there is no competition?

kermit
    Free Member

@akira, thanks for that. Just signed up to their mailing list.

TiRed

They have an established market far outside cycling. Hence there is an enormous amount of cross-over technology, research and development. I doubt cycle computers are a serious profit item for them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Bryton, Mio, Lezyne, Polar and Cateye make bike GPS systems.

I think the issue is that the software development is quite expensive compared to the number of units they sell, so whilst many can make the hardware, the interface always lets them down.

I have troubles with my garmin 810 too (random switching off, unreliable phone connection/upload).

I think next time I’m just going to use a simple GPS with breadcrumb type trail (to save digging a phone out of my pocket every junction), and just use a phone for more detailed mapping when necessary.

wors

Wahoo? My garmin died and to be honest, i can’t be bothered replacing it. I just slip my phone in my pocket to record the ride.

whitestone
    Free Member

Garmin were doing GPS units such as marine and military before they got into cycling, I used a Forerunner 301 before I got a cycling specific unit for example. Wikipedia states the company was founded in 1989 so had units available when Strava started (2009) so that extended their influence.

As to competitors – Wahoo? I only know of one person with an Elemnt, superficially it looks similar to a Garmin 520

simon_g

Smartphones get vast amounts of R&D thrown at them as they’re sold in massive numbers. Cycling is fairly niche and the market just gets smaller and smaller as you go up the range for these devices. Lots of people are happy to log rides using their phone or a basic GPS device. A smaller number are happy with something you can chuck a GPX on to follow. An even smaller number want all the advanced mapping, sensors, etc stuff.

Garmin do car/truck satnavs, marine and aviation stuff, and offerings for just about any sport that could use GPS. Thus they can spread a lot of the development cost around between these. It’s also why the cycling ones can be a bit compromised as they’re minimising what needs to be made specially for it.

Everyone wants a tiny waterproof unit with super accurate GPS, a huge battery, a screen that’s clear in all kinds of lighting conditions, and a fast processor to make it super responsive when dealing with huge chunks of mapping data. And they want to pay next to nothing for it.

TiRed

I think next time I’m just going to use a simple GPS with breadcrumb type trail

My 810 has all the same drop out issues. My 200, by contrast, is great for breadcrumb trail following.

brakes
    Free Member

And they want to pay next to nothing for it.

not true. people pay for Garmins and they’re not cheap.
    I know a few people who have Wahoos and are more than happy ex-Garmin customers.

fifeandy
    Free Member

And they want to pay next to nothing for it.

Don’t think that’s true at all. What I do expect, is for the cost of an 800/810, both the hardware and firmware should be pretty much bulletproof, which sadly they are not.
    Well documented issues like the infamous corroded USB port really shouldn’t happen, and how they thought the same design for the 810 was acceptable I have no idea.

But there’s still no real alternative, so we keep feeding their profits for mediocre (they have a lot of positives to balance the negatives) devices.

kermit
    Free Member

I get the notion of using a phone (not least because that’s what I do at the moment) and realise that yes, there are plenty of competitors at the lower end.

The single feature I really like the look of on the Edge 1030 is the ability to just turn it on anywhere and tell it to take me for a ride along the most popular local trails.

I know all of the information is available out there somewhere on the web, but it’s generally a complete pain in the arse to pull it all together into a GPX file, and that assumes you know you’re going to be riding in the first place!

As an example, if I’m going to a meeting somewhere I know has decent riding nearby, I might often chuck my bike in the car and go for a ride on the way home. The Edge 1030 would potentially let me take the bike to any meeting and do that, even if I didn’t know the terrain at all.

I just can’t bring myself to spend with Garmin again!!!!

johnnystorm

The Wahoo Elemnt isn’t an alternative to a Garmin Edge. The battery life, rrp and reliability will seem very alien to a Garmin user. 😉

Seriously, the Elemnt is ace and set up etc through your phone is a breeze. For mtb riding the basic maps are maybe a bit too basic but you’ll get there.

No regrets switching over from me.

scotroutes

The Edge series does seem to be particularly flakey.

My Oregon just works.

scud
    Free Member

I follow the Trans- Continental FB page and interestingly riders most of the riders there were singing the praises of the Wahoo Elemnt over Garmin as a more reliable GPS for daily use.

I have 510 and touch wood it’s been good but do wish Garmin could get it together to be reliable, have good battery life and good mapping, seems you can only pick two

benp1

I bought my Oregon for geocaching and walking, had it before I even got into biking. I only use it for routes or recording a long ride, not for ‘training’

nwallace
    Free Member

I also follow the transcontinental and noticed the same. (you may have seen my post asking about them)

The downfalls of the Lezyne I bought as a “cheap” back up to my seemingly dying 510 I’ve found so far are:

Routes have to be loaded through phone, and only one at a time.
    – No use when your battery runs out
    – No use at the start of most MTB rides in Scotland
    – No use at the start of a fair whack of road rides in Scotland
    — because there’s never a data signal or WiFi when you need one

Following a route with cues you’d better not miss a waypoint otherwise you’re just going to be told how far away the start is
    – so it doesn’t deal with that like a Garmin does

User Interface is a bit clumsy
    The Start button is also the down button when you’re in a menu, and the top left and top right scroll through screens.
    – I’ve also found this extra clumsy when working left handed. (Where as the button based interface on my Fenix watch works great left handed)

There is only 1 zoom level when following the breadcrumb trail, which thankfully you can do even when the cue’s are trying to tell you to go back to the start.

Obviously it doesn’t do the trail finding; that sounds like something someone needs to write as a killer app first, or an extension to trail forks?

also as I’ve been using it with the 510 at the same time I noticed if the Lezyne picked up my HRM before the 510 then the 510 wouldn’t connect to the HRM, but if the 510 went first then both would connect to it.

I’m also suspect of the elevation, as it got 1500 on an Audax last weekend while the Garmin got 2700; the official was just short of 2400m (no AAA points)

I’ve got an Elemnt Bolt on my wish list

and of course I’ve gone way off topic 😳

Bez

I think the level of competition for Garmin depends on what you’re trying to do with it. If you’re fitness focused and want to track ride stats, do Strava, that sort of stuff, then there’s a ton of competition out there and some of it (Wahoo being the obvious example) looks like it’s beating Garmin for this type of use.

If you want navigation, things are different. I had high hopes for Wahoo but in the end I was disappointed and reluctantly went back to Garmin.

Wahoo: Navigation Nailed or Failed?

The “it’s hard” excuse doesn’t wash. Garmin haven’t really learned anything over the last 10-15 years, they’ve just added a few bells and whistles (some, like touchscreens, being rather questionable) and tried to lock everyone into Garmin Connect. It’s not the difficulty of the engineering (software or hardware) that’s the issue, it’s Garmin’s apparent attitude to its customers and its reluctance to evolve with a more open market and a more connected ecosystem.

To be honest, I’d be happy if Garmin simply put a bigger battery in (and stopped pulling unrealistic battery life estimates out of their arse), used a high-contrast screen, and allowed me to get routes on there wirelessly from a phone.

simondbarnes

To be honest, I’d be happy if Garmin simply put a bigger battery in

Edge 1030?

and allowed me to get routes on there wirelessly from a phone.

Thought you could now? You can definitely get Strava routes onto a Garmin from your phone (edge 520 upwards anyway)

edit: tried this? https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/b7efc9ca-5446-4e1c-bc53-474e97f376ac#0

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got an 800, I lost it a few weeks ago (dunno where, could be at SSUK, could be in the house somewhere). TBH I don’t bother looking for it because it was truly rubbish.

Screen isn’t bright enough to see in sunlight even when not wearing sunglasses.
    Screen doesn’t have the resolution to make the (bloody expensive) OS maps useable.
    Menu’s are completely unintuitive (there’s probably 3 different ways to get a route up to follow, none are anything obvious).
    Garmin connect is horrible for route planning.
    The sat-nav function is hopeless, especially if you miss a turn it won’t recalculate just send you back in a loop to where you went wrong, I once rode 20miles in a loop after I rode past a road closed sign only for it to bring me back to it! It also has a magnetic attraction to Reading ring-road, it’s a cycling route finder FFS, surely it can at least avoid roads where cyclings prohibited?

Ride logging – STRAVA does that for free
    Following a pre-made route – pay for STRAVA premium, even as a subscription it’s cheaper than a garmin unless you can make a garmin last 6+ years (without breaking it or the battery life diminishing).
    Maps – OSM has enough detail to navigate, and carry a paper OS map for backup.
    Worried about breaking your phone, buy a tougher case, or buy a <£100 waterproof budget android phone off ebay.

Garmin should have given up on hardware and just released an App, they could have been STRAVA years before with their market position (vs the other strava-esque apps).

Bez

Edge 1030?

*googles*

Jesus, it’s £500! I think I’ll put up with my £100 Touring plus £10 USB battery.

Thought you could now?

I’m probably out of touch. I thought you could only do it via Garmin Connect.

edit: tried this?

Nope, looks quite cute. Thanks. Looking at the compatible devices, the 520 and the Explore 820 edge into broadly-affordable territory. (The 520 has limited storage space which is crap for maps though, right? And the 820 is generally considered rather unreliable?)

simondbarnes

The 520 has limited storage space which is crap for maps though, right? And the 820 is generally considered rather unreliable?

I believe that you are correct with both of those statements sadly (although I don’t have 1st hand experience of the latter)

iomnigel
    Free Member

Giant Neostrack. £150 RRP, 30hour battery life (tested soon on Relentless). No touch screen, breadcrumb navigation, buttons are “clunky”, have to log on phone to link to Bluetooth to download rides. No downsides yet.

Bez

Sounds/looks good (especially the price and the battery life) but the lack of mapping is a shame.

petec
    Free Member

the wahoo elemnt just works. Never had any issues at all with it.

It may not be touch screen or full colour mapping, but is that something you really need? Surely it’s worth not having if you can have something that does work…

nwallace
    Free Member

Don’t see the need for full colour mapping if you’re following a predefined route.

The weakness of breadcrumb trails was demonstrated to me during the audax at a couple of junctions where roads slowly diverged racked up an extra couple of km through wrong slots, although at the Lezyne zoom level it was the braking time rather than the noticing time that was longest.

Can see it being a bigger problem on trails though or worse a big open rideable plateau.

DickBarton

Personally I can’t think of anything worse…a bike computer making recommendations on routes? Part of appeal is to get away from it all so this permanent (or near permanent) connection sounds like witchcraft and voodoo all in 1.

Yer mental suggesting a box on yer bars can do all that!

MoreCashThanDash

My Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is amazing value for money compared to the equivalent Garmin.

Not sure I even understand the question.

daern
    Free Member

Personally I can’t think of anything worse…a bike computer making recommendations on routes? Part of appeal is to get away from it all so this permanent (or near permanent) connection sounds like witchcraft and voodoo all in 1.

A fair comment, but there are plenty of use cases where pre-planned routes on a computer is an extremely valuable thing:

When doing a long ride and you want to know how many bloody hills you still have to go
    When you are leading a group and would rather not take them down dead-ends, long detours or into peat bogs
    Not having to constantly check the map when riding somewhere unfamiliar

I know that not everyone wants to use one, but for me at least, my Edge 1000 was a revelation and I wouldn’t be without it now for the above reasons and many others too.

And, despite the comments here, I’ve not had too many problems with mine and recent firmware updates have been pretty stable for me. Battery life is ok too.

simondbarnes

My Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is amazing value for money compared to the equivalent Garmin.

Bez posted a link up ^^^ to a long review he wrote and has gone back to a Garmin so clearly don’t work for everyone.

stumpy01

I’m in the same boat – got an Edge 500, which I refuse to replace until there is a viable alternative to Garmin.

The Wahoo Element definitely looks like it’s getting close. There seem to be a few from Bryton, but they don’t seem to be marketed or get much coverage in the UK.

A mate of mine had a Mio a few years ago & sent it back. Apparently it was cak.

whitestone
    Free Member

When doing a long ride and you want to know how many bloody hills you still have to go

Rule #5 or Toughen up princess 😆

When you are leading a group and would rather not take them down dead-ends, long detours or into peat bogs

PPPPP 😉

Not having to constantly check the map when riding somewhere unfamiliar

And how exactly does a map on a screen differ from a paper map in this respect? The paper map gives you a picture of where you are in the landscape (unless you are right on the edge of it) which you can only partly get by scrolling around the screen map. What happens if there’s a blockage on your route that requires a detour and there’s a couple of alternatives and you need to choose the best one? Pretty easy with a paper map as all the info’s there.

Don’t get me wrong, I have two GPS units (one for road, one for off-road) but if I’m somewhere I don’t know particularly well I’ll have the relevant maps in my pack.

petec
    Free Member

Bez posted a link up ^^^ to a long review he wrote and has gone back to a Garmin so clearly don’t work for everyone.

To be fair to Wahoo, Bez’s complaint was over navigation. Nothing else. (as an aside, Bez’s Wahoo is also not the Elemnt, but the Elemnt Bolt. Which is quite a lot smaller. So shows less detail…)

I’ve never noticed the battery drain on my phone either. I know it’s not conclusive proof that there is none, but neither is his blog that there is an issue.

Bez

The loss of detail is due to the firmware choosing to display very little beyond a certain level of zoom, not the physical screen size, but I’d be interested to know if the firmware behaves differently on the larger version (I strongly suspect it doesn’t, but I’d be happy to be corrected).

petec
    Free Member

Don’t know to be honest!The Google group implies it’s the same resolution, but without trying both, who knows?

kermit
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

As a result of a comment here and elsewhere, I’ve just discovered how easy it is to create routes on Strava based off the heatmap and then follow them on my phone.

It would be perfect if I could tell it to turn off road segments and only show MTB trails, but even so, I was able to create a 25 mile circular route which is 90% off road in under 10 minutes, so for now, that gives me pretty much everything I was after! 😀

Sandwich

I don’t rate the Edge Touring for navigation. Stop for lunch. On restart asked if I want to save or discard data then do I want to navigate to the start of the route. WTF. No I want to restart the timer and continue on my preplanned route. How hard can it be to get that right? A fairly basic requirement for an item aimed squarely at the leisure market. Rubbish software and USB1 for map updates. Really? Nearly 4 hours every time I need to run a map update on 150mb cable connection! The whole setup is not fit for purpose.

Fat-boy-fat

What about a satmap?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Why are there no serious Garmin alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.