Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • whos got a retro mtb ?
  • Pierre

1987, if Retrobike is to be followed!

nigelb001
    Free Member

Wrong, its pre 1997.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a 1987 Muddy Fox Courier that I was given that needs some TLC..

Once I’ve got my shedup and running, I plan to try and revive it.

jamj1974

Does anyone have any recommendations for wide’ish non-OS flat bars? Currently running risers on my ’95 Cindercone and would like to go back to flat – largely for aesthetic reasons…

J

nigelb001
    Free Member

My Mongoose Amplifier 2. Its a nice bike to ride and I get it out from time to time, though nothing too demanding. The rear sus is nowhere near modern bikes for travel and comfort. Strange how things change, the Amplifier 2 was the bike that Leigh Donovan won the Downhill Campionships on in 1995.

Frame on this one is rare American build 1995 version, though forks and brakes are from 1998. Spec of this bike changes from time to time, it now sports a Noleen Carbon Crosslink fork from 1999.

redthunder
    Free Member

Wrong, its pre 1997.

2000/2001 Spesh Stumpy HT

Two years to go :-). But then again this is a different forum 🙂

Stumpy HT by SGMTB, on Flickr

neilm
    Free Member

Dave Lloyd CATS WISKAS I built up a few years ago. It was more fun finding the parts and building the bike than it was riding and breaking them. Sold to fund a more sturdy machine… which I also broke

Nice bike, and hard to find. I’m currently looking for a CATS to add to my ‘stable’.

This is the latest build, a 1992 Roberts DB, with SRAM 2x 10 setup. It rides extremely well and I’m really pleased with it.

neninja
    Free Member

Not as retro as some of the bikes above but do ride a 2000 Kona Muli Mula. It’s the nicest hardtail I’ve ridden – don’t know if it’s the frame or the geometry but it just feels right.

(I have changed the original tyres though now and the saddle, otherwise it’s totally original spec)

fasthaggis

I have one like this

ajantom

’98 Indy Fab Deluxe SS.
    Retro here, but in the ‘new’ section on retrobike 😆

crazy-legs

Not sure if I’ve posted on this thread when it first started but I’ve got a 1997 Saracen Kili Ultra Ti with full XTR (actually later generation XTR, the gunmetal grey stuff).

Looking at selling it now, unsure of what it’s worth. Someone once offered me £400 for the straight blade Ti rigid forks alone though so I’m hoping the bike might be worth a reasonable amount to a retro bike fan. It’s in immaculate condition.

davieg
    Free Member

1988 Muddy Fox Courier, the Lavender coloured one with a U brake handily placed under the chain stays. Two years of paper rounds and milk rounds to pay for it. So desperate to get my first MTB, I bought a 21.5″ Frame. I ride small / medium framed bikes today!

Must retrieve the Courier from my Folks loft and see if I can run it as an SS / Commuter.

nedrapier

Nope. Mine missed the cut-off by 2 years.

tonyd

94 Cinder Cone, no pics I’m afraid but it looks just like most other Cinder Cones! Was all original when I bought it, except for the saddle. I’ve ‘upgraded’ a few bits but still have all the original parts, including the C:\ tyres.

To be honest I’m surprised that’s considered retro, maybe I’m getting old!

redthunder
    Free Member

Nope. Mine missed the cut-off by 2 years.

I’m running with 2000

Kato

1998 Kona Kula. Old? Yes. Retro? Nearly…

Still ride it all the time with a smile on my face though. It’s the only bike I’ve never wanted to sell and I never will

franksinatra

Had this since new (1993/4 ish)

Still the bike I would first grab if the garage was burning down.

Has been paper round bike, race bike, touring bike, 21 gears, single speed, courier bike, towing bike, and various other uses.

Currently single speed, slick tyres, mud guarded commuter bike.

Will revert to towing duties for Centre Parcs this weekend

CIMG3341 by cathrowp, on Flickr

nigelb001
    Free Member

94 Cinder Cone……
    To be honest I’m surprised that’s considered retro, maybe I’m getting old!

You have to remember that 1994 was quite early in the development of mountain bikes. Bouncy forks and rear suspension and other decent parts had only been around for a few years. 1994 probably equates timewise to the 30’s/40’s in motor car development and we would certainly consider those retro.

We’re all getting older! 😉

russ295
    Free Member

Sorry no pics but a mint late’ish 90’s rockhopper. Rigid forks, nitanium tubing. Bit of a single speed project but I still have all the original bits.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Needs a bigger chainring, It was all I had.

messiah
    Free Member

dukeduvet

Picture 106 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

Kona Kilauea ’97, great fun

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stickers under clear grips! Retro-AWSumZ!

I had Onza stickers under clear Ules for a while, before switching to Yeti grips.

Kato

russ295 – Member
    Sorry no pics but a mint late’ish 90’s rockhopper. Rigid forks, nitanium tubing. Bit of a single speed project but I still have all the original bits.

I had one of those. A silver ’98 Comp FS with Ritchey tubes. It was ace! Have it away and wish I hadn’t

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my 1994 first gen orange p7, full rigid, xt throughout, nickle finish, sat in a damp cave gathering dust. wonder if orange do re-issue sticker sets for it?

my uncle may still have my ’87 or ’88 fisher hookooekoo.

logical
    Free Member

No pictures yet (closely guarded project)
    But I have a 97 GT Zaskar Le
    I also have a 96 Saracen Tufftrax, a Raleigh Mtrax 1000 and a Trek 850.
    Messiah is right though. Finding the parts is more fun than riding 🙂

franksinatra

my uncle may still have my ’87 or ’88 fisher hookooekoo

I had a later version hookooekoo, around 1995 or so. It was properly rubbish.

edit, 1997 model.

sputnik
    Free Member

Just kidding, here is my 1996 Orange P7 ( carbon bar and post , Mavic UST wheels and mix of XT &XTR ).

asterix
    Free Member

This is mu 1996 Cannondale M900

used regularly these days, full XT, 2 x 10, Chris King H/set, 23 lbs 🙂

nigelb001
    Free Member

Ooh! like that M900!

reev
    Free Member

Just outside the cutoff point for me, the spare parts bike is a 2001 GT iDrive 6.

xcneil
    Free Member

Yeah 26″ here 😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

Not the greatest pic, and a bit out of date, but…..1998 steel Stumpy….

Comes out for commuting and woodland pootles when it’s dry n dusty 🙂

walleater

My ’92 Rocky Mountain Vertex:

neilm
    Free Member

Finding the parts is more fun than riding

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

The whole purpose of the build is to ride the bike, otherwise you just end up with a museum in your shed / garage. If that’s what floats your boat, fine, but talking to a few frame builders, their feeling is that is not why they built the frames in the first place.

Getting a bit too serious here, but it’s something I feel strongly about.

Find em, build em, ride em.

plutonia
    Free Member

Marin Muirwoods 1997. 17″ Tange Triple butted cromoly Frame. Should be double butted Tange for the year so not sure if it is triple butted or the wromg sticker is on it! The frame serial number is for an Eldridge Grade of same year that was tipple butted, so mibbe its that frame with Muirwoods colours. Frame Weighs 5.3 ibs. Manitou Spyder 99 fork. Shiman m590 Hollowtch 2 triple chainset, Mavic 317 wheels on xt hubs,alivio rear mech, Deore DX front mech. Hg50 7 speed Cassette. Original Marin alloy seatpost and FSA Orbit XL2 Headset. Stem and Bars are alloy Halfords and nowt to right home about but light enough and no problems so far. Seat, tyres,pedals,V Brakes and 7 speed Gripshift MRX Shifters are from Rockrider 5.0 that I broke when started Marin build and all work ok. Total weight is just under 28ibs. Great all round bike unless trails get really rough. Would like a better fork cos no damping on Spyder but apart from that it’s all good and works fine. If i use original cromoly forks it weighs just 26 ibs.

noteeth
    Free Member

Bontrager Races x 4, dating from ’93-’97.

Not that I really think of ’em as being ‘retro’ (despite the 1 inch headsets, quill stems, thumbies & Rock Shox Judys…) – just lovely handling bikes.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork from 1993. Still in occasional use by my Dad, hence the big “comfy” saddle. It’s a great bike, so quick and capable even with those skinny flexible forks.

Also got a 1997 Proflex 853, but the rear shock’s ruined so it’s in bits at the moment.

My old Proflex by J, on Flickr

robnav
    Free Member

ive got a couple of old skool sunn radicals from 98/99. single top tube and twin top tube. restored and raced the twin top tube one for a few years on and off and rode it in morzine and done a few uplifts on it here until i found a crack in it. its been repaired and refurbed and kitted out with some more modern kit now but its been put on light duties as i dont want to hurt it again 😆 the older version doesnt get much use at all to be honest, needs the brakes servicing to really get the best out of it and ive never got round to it. there are pics on pinkbike in my album [arkwright] if anyone wants to put them up for me as i don`t know how to post them . also got an old sunn b-mix that had a hard life as a single speed commuter up until ten years ago and is now in semi retirement, just used for trips to center parcs and a very rare commute.

dallas95
    Free Member

Alpinestars cro-mega from 1991. I refurb’ed it a couple of years ago and use it on dry sunny days. Still a very capable trail bike and an excellent climber. It’s just a bit hardcore on the descents with the rigid forks.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘whos got a retro mtb ?’ is closed to new replies.