Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Who wears 'clear' glasses?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

With rainy season in Asia in full flow, who wears clear glasses when sunglasses aren’t needed?

Does it hamper or improve visibility when the rain’s sideways?

Do you wear them for keeping the mud out of your eyes or are there other benefits?

Thanks

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Got a cheap pair from Aldi, great for just keeping the crud out of the eyes.

Northwind

I wear them most of the time- cheap Bolle BL10 safety glasses, coated with Nikwax Visorproof to avoid steaming and help water roll off. But they don’t work well in heavy rain, ironically, water on the lens is worse than water in the eyes imo

Mud wise, they’re very useful but you do still end up with obscured vision obviously. No substitute for a massive mudguard, I love my Shockboards. (mud canoe, my mate calls them)

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve worn clear lenses in the past, but my current pair have yellow lenses that seem to be ideal in all conditions other than really bright.

I can’t ride with no glasses on at all – my eyes start raining.

prawny

I tend to ride early in the mornings so I wear clear lenses most of the time. I almost never go out on the bike without something on my eyes.

muzzle
    Free Member

I always wear them in all weathers – I wear contact lenses so I like to keep mud, grit etc out of my eyes as much as I can. They’re also good protection from insects and low-hanging branches in the woods.

I don’t have a visibility problem with them in the rain, but I do find that they can steam up once I stop moving, particularly if I’ve got a sweat on.

burko73

cheap bolle safety glasses from tinternet. also do a very light tint – esp.

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/c/249435/1/bolle-spider-range.html

just the job for on the bike in muddy conditions.

weeksy

great for stopping mud, not so useful in the rain from a viewing perspective.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

deWalt from Screwfix. Cheap, good fit, work well.

richpips
    Free Member

I wore them on the HTR to keep insects and muck out of my eyes.

They weren’t so clever in the rain, but I kept them on.

headpotdog
    Free Member

These days I only use clear glasses on the road bike where they’re pretty much essential, in my opinion.

On the mountain bike though, I just find them to be a distraction. Mud & rain sticks to the lenses and stops me from seeing rocks, ruts & other stuff on the trail.

The best solution I’ve found is to get a Neoguard or Fender Bender fitted to the forks and a Crud Catcher on the downtube and this pretty much takes care of stuff coming from the ground up. Nothing will stop sideways rain from being a problem, but when it’s coming head on, a decent helmet visor helps a bit I guess.

atlaz
    Free Member

On dim rainy days I have some glasses with yellow lenses. For patchy rainy days, I swap the lenses over to blue. Clear ones I don’t tend to use.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Do yellow and blue tints make a difference? Over here (Thailand), it’s either sunglasses or, as this evening, swimming goggles would have been appropriate.

For a fiver-ish, those Bolle look great.

atlaz
    Free Member

In dingy-grey rain the yellows SEEM to improve the contrast and make vision a little better. However when it’s bright and raining they’re pretty blinding so some blue ones do a similar job but block some glare.

Could be bullshit though and all be psychological 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

Wear clear glasses most of the time especially this time of year during the evening when there are lots of insects about

Have never been a fan of tinted lenses there’s always something wrong with them when dodging in and out of the trees

Northwind

Personal thing probably but I don’t like tints at all, they just make things look a bit weird, which affects how I ride. Blue/grey tints especially!

dazh

Always worn glasses of some sort since I got a pine needle lodged in my eye in Wales. Not sure about any improvement in vision, but the yellow glasses just make it look like it’s sunny instead of grey so it doesn’t feel as miserable.

rocketman
    Free Member

but the yellow glasses just make it look like it’s sunny instead of grey so it doesn’t feel as miserable.

Used to have some ‘happy’ glasses with an orange tint. Made even the most miserable day look like sun-baked Spain

grim taking them off though

MrNice
    Free Member

I always wear glasses of some sort. Getting mud out of the eye without also removing my contacts is tricky. Photochromic lenses are fantastic for days with patchy sun (or in and out of trees) and I’m about to get some with a higher light transmission rate for overcast days.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Year round in the UK.

In the Alps (or on sunny days in the UK(!) I also wear orange lenses.

Don’t wear dark lenses anywhere where we’re in dense wood or if it’s not incredibly sunny.

stabilizers

I’ve used UVEX variomatic’s for a while now. They cost a bit more (£70 4yrs ago) but they are quality and adjust to the light. Still going strong. This year they have seen darkest Aberdeenshire to Arizona blue sky’s.

taffy
    Free Member

Ive always workn glasses and franky in the UK i wear a clear lense about half th year (may have a persimon or such in the winter if i know i will only be out in the daylight)

It saves so much crud getting in the old eyes let along branches and so forth, rain can be an issue but ive not had a problem wiht Mumbo/M fram lenses and a glove wiht a bit of terry cloth on the back (right hand for snot left hand for glasses!)

legend
    Free Member

Thanks to a healthy dose of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygium_%28conjunctiva%29 I now wear glasses (or goggles if DHing) all the time. Currently on the pinky lenses that the glasses came with, but will be switching to clear as soon as I know these glasses are definitely working for me.

Keeping water/mud/poo/sticks/road grime and, occasionally, UV out is good.

IanW
    Free Member

Genuinely not wanting to start the usual but I reckon clear glasses are more beneficial than a helmet. Rarely ride without them, b&q safety glasses being the choice at the moment.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I wear em when its muddy instead of bothering with a mudguard. Wore em monday for llandegla and we had rain, I mean proper rain and they were useless. I was so wet no item of clothing could dry them enough to make me be able to see out of them again so they went in my bag. My eyes were better by themselves and just turning my head slightly to avoid the worst spray. I’ve now borrowed the OHs front mudguard to hopefully keep everything away.

atlaz
    Free Member

I reckon clear glasses are more beneficial than a helmet.

Depends on what for. I’m sure they’re better for keeping stuff out of your eyes; everything else is debatable

unovolo
    Free Member

I have some Bolle specs with the ESP coating that I wear pretty much all the time(except in the dark) they work great only downside is they do steam up when stationary either after a big effort or when the humidity is high but i can live with it.

TiRed

I wear Rudy Rydon photochromatics all year. Subtle and fast changing, never had a problem with them being too dark or too light.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Yellow lenses most of the time but clear lenses at night or if it looks like rain don’t find rain drops to much of a prob just take them off quick shake back on most of the drops gone wear smoked lenses once or twice a year when we have summer 😀

iamroughrider
    Free Member

yep.clear or orange aldi/lidl.

scotroutes

I never ride without glasses – but then again, mine are prescription. The Transitions allow something like 95% of light through so they are fine on the darkest day or at night.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Slight hijack, sorry, always wear clear lenses to protect my contact lenses from crud, bought Oakley jawbones but need clear vented lenses for them, anyone got a set?

Haze

Rudy photochromatic here too, very happy.

jacob46
    Free Member

Dewalt safety glasses from screwfix counter. Very comfy. Especially when there free

stewartc
    Free Member

Clear Oakley Radar lenses for Hong Kong, and recently Bali, as I found the transition lenses useless when moving between open (very bright sunlight) and high density forest areas (sudden loss of light).
    At this time of year its also good to combat the very large spiders that like to set their webs up at head height.
    I would never ride without glasses, its up there for importance with wearing a helmet on the trail to me.

Bez

On the road I wear them if it’s night and I’m wearing a helmet. If I’m wearing a cap then the peak usually suffices, unless it’s snowing, when I need something to keep big flakes out.

I never ride off-road without glasses, but again the clears only come out for night.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

I’ve worn them ever since getting poked in the eye by a bunch of pine needles. More often than not i use yellow lenses.

Superficial
    Free Member

Just debating getting some (Oakley Racing Jacket) lenses for using whilst on my MTB. Options are:

1) Clear £35
    2) Yellow £35
    3) Persimmon £45
    4) Transition £75

Currently erring towards clear but have been using Yellow with my Faux-kleys and they’re pretty decent. Opinion on transition lenses seems polarised – so I’m not really convinced I want to try them. Any thoughts from people that have used any of these?

scotroutes

As above. I’ve been using Transitions for about 5 years. They seem pretty much spot on to me. What negatives have you come across?

smartboy
    Free Member

Always wear glasses for all riding I do (7 mile town commute to all-day mtb rides).

Bike sunglasses in bright conditions, yellow most of the time and clear for night rides.

Couple of reasons … My eyes start watering quite a lot when I am over about 15mph, making it tricky to spot the trail clearly. Also stops bugs, mud, water and anything else damaging my eyes.

Made the mistake of using RainX (meant for car windscreens to aid beading and helps water get blown off the screen) on my glasses once. Don’t ride fast enough to get the beading water to blow off and also seemed to increase steam-up when it was raining and I was slowly puffing up steep climbs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Who wears 'clear' glasses?’ is closed to new replies.