Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 249 total)
  • Who was banned today?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Given that Tolstoy and Dickens both used the word ‘mincing’ in their works – in ways that reflect the current use which is not sexual – I’m happy describing my riding style as occasionally mincing.

“from my years of living” – a fantastic phrase that gives gravitas and deeper meaning to whatever a young man says. Most excellent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

think drac hits the nail on the head in a pub or with mates you know your mate is not racist or homophobic so if a comment is made you can laugh it off – se ewhy some comedians can be offensive and not offend [you knwo they dont mean it] Guardain [intentional] readers but chubby brown does for example.

if you want to judge people by their online persona – by and large a fiction

I find this an odd defence – you can be sued for what you say online and I think it is very sad [though common apparently] that people would need to create a controversial or facade persona on the internet – it is anonymous FFS at least be yourself given the reduced consequences for doing this – no one actually knows you so why choose to be a knob?.

Lifer
    Free Member

Grumpy Mark – Nail, Head.

El-bent
    Free Member

If you think you know GRF based on what he posts on forums, then…

… you don’t know GRF.

homophobic – it’s the last thing he is. He does like to wind-up prissy straights though.

Well clearly we didn’t know he was a fun loving legging pulling individual, just as he clearly didn’t know how some people would react to his posts. The point is since he is the distributor of certain biking products, he should keep his fun loving leg pulling to people he actually knows, instead of coming onto an internet mountain biking forum and gracing it with his witty banter, causing offence and damaging his business reputation in the process.

EDIT: What Mark said.

coffeeking
    Free Member
    winterfold
    Free Member

Some might say that one of the joys of the Internet is that you can behave as though you are in a pub with your mates but it is in public.

Pity the poor old publisher who has to deal with it.

mark – got an answer on when MTFU, mincing, jeycore etc stops being banter and starts being homophobic? I want to be very careful that my insults are on the acceptable side of the homophobic/not homophobic line (Singletrack version).

TooTall – gay didnt mean gay then either. We all know what people are implying when they type it (mincing).

backhander
    Free Member

Though that is also info I have gained from my years of living.

Says the;

16 year old mountain biker from Leeds

Classic! PWNED
    Also, funny that a 16 year old is calling grown adults “softies”

Drac

Some might say that one of the joys of the Internet is that you can behave as though you are in a pub with your mates but it is in public.

Evidently not everywhere on the internet and not everywhere in every pub can you behave the same.

mark – got an answer on when MTFU, mincing, jeycore etc

Mincing refers to be effeminate which does not mean being gay

MTFU – just means toughen up

However, it’s the context we also take into consideration insulting people is not tolerated no matt what word you use. If you receive a warning your going to far it’s a good idea to stop and not carrying on.

slowrider
    Free Member

I bet everyone who has taken offence uses SPD’s. Jeyers.

scaredypants

Mincing refers to be effeminate which does not mean being gay

steady, “his” mighty sword of anti-misogyny is always ready

winterfold
    Free Member

Drac – thank you for the clarification – so if I tell you to “MTFU you mincing jeyer” then it would be OK if eg the context was “I poo my pants on 2 foot drops” but not if it was “Anyone fancy a ride up Fairmile Bottom on Saturday?”

I’m glad that’s clear.

I’ll leave it now.

Happy Riding!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pub is an abbreviation of public so when you are in a public house with your mates you are in public.
    HTH

sputnik
    Free Member

This G.R.F certainly is obsessed with gayness:
    G.R.F stands for Gaylord Rock Focker according to his profile 🙄

winterfold
    Free Member

Thanks for that pedantry there Junkyard it is good to know standards are monitored in every corner of the Interwebz

I know I said I was going to leave it, but couldn’t resist highlighting this as an example of the acceptable side of homophobia, er, gay, sorry, jey innuendo

http://www.singletrackworld.com/blogs/2009/09/el-scorchio-notio/

Drac

I’m sorry I’m missing something there the author said he didn’t want to wake up next to Mark, have you seen Mark? I’m sure you’d understand why if so.

damo2576
    Free Member

Err it’s not homophobic to not want to share a bed with a friend/another man?

Despite the question mark thats a statement not a question

Mattie_H
    Free Member

pastcaring – Member
    this forum is funny, open hostility and bullying are tolerated but someone obviously taking the piss isn’t?

if people reported him for taking the piss, maybe i should of reported the R.lepecha for abusing southerners and people who grew up on council estates? but found his adolescent indignation rather funny!

there was some great come backs from others and was a funny thread. beats what tyre for… any day!

PC gone mad!

‘PC gone mad’ = capacity for independent critical thought gone AWOL

wwaswas

‘PC gone mad’

I’d prefer ‘PC living with mental health issues’, please.

winterfold
    Free Member

And the picture caption?

clubber
    Free Member

100!

Lifer
    Free Member

winterfold – Member
    And the picture caption?

Is innuendo

Drac

And the picture caption?

What about it?

Like already mentioned it’s an innuendo, maybe if it had said “Don’t bend down in front of me I’m not gay, even though I wear SPDs and GRF believes that makes me gay.” You’d have a point.

stevemtb
    Free Member

My pals and I are guilty as most for the typical round the table banter that no one actually means.

Problem is when it gets out of hand. We were down in Cardiff for the Scotland vs Wales footie friendly and witnessed a guy in a kilt & Scotland top seriously abusing a young turkish lad in a takeaway with what I’m guessing he thought was funny racist ‘banter’. What was actually coming out his mouth was a disgrace and the young lad looked pretty shaken up. The rest of the Scottish guys (us included) kicked him out the shop and told him he was out of order. Didn’t stop the insults though.

Very easy for someone to think they are still being funny when other people have stopped laughing a long time ago.

I never took any offence at the linked post but then again, I tend to ride flats!!

pastcaring
    Free Member

so if i call someone a brown nose is that racist or homophobic ? 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What was actually coming out his mouth was a disgrace and the young lad looked pretty shaken up. The rest of the Scottish guys (us included) kicked him out the shop and told him he was out of order. Didn’t stop the insults though

Yeah, all you Jocks are really racist

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thanks for that pedantry there Junkyard

it is not pedantry your point was poor – you were clearly suggesting the internet is a public place unlike a public house – not that good a point is it? Thanks for taking it on the chin though and having a laugh about a poor choice of phrase rather than having a pop at me BIG RESPECTS INNIT 🙄

winterfold
    Free Member

Yes jey innuendo – so that’s ok then – so if we think Are You Being Served good were probably alright

Junkyard sorry – how about “it’s like a snug bar in the pub with only your mates or your local where everyone talks shit and noone cares”

Anyway it was Marks metaphor so if it’s a shit one I was onlytrying to carry it through

Mark – I’ve just got GRF’s side of the story. It’s quite different to your’s , unsurprisingly. I wonder where the truth lies…

doug_basqueMTB.com

I am dissapointed to see a picture of me apparently taking advantage of Mark under a large cross at the top of a mountain in the mist has made it onto this thread as evidence. 😳 I would like to point out that I am wearing flats and baggies.

That is all I have to say.

wwaswas

I am wearing flats and baggies

heels just don’t work at altitude, do they?

nicko74

FWIW (I’m not one of the most regular forumites, so perhaps not much)
    a) it’s not ‘our’ forum, it’s STW’s forum – they make the rules, and while being a Premier member does mean you pay them for various bits and bobs on the site, they *still* make the rules. So while we could shout double standards if we so wished, it ultimately doesn’t matter, cause they pay for the server space.
    b) I’ve read enough wrong stuff on the internet that it doesn’t bother me, but not knowing G.R.F even as a stw member before seeing the thread in question, it did take me by surprise. It may have been a tongue-in-cheek piece of trolling (there was a lot of effort put in if it was), but either way, it comes back to point a).

Chris-S
    Free Member

So what are the odds on GRF placing any ads with STW ?????

and in turn STW accepting them ?????????????

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

god, old people take this interwebs buisness far too seriously.

it doesnt take a genius to realise that due to the progression of the english language alot these insults dont mean the same thing they meant 1 or 2 years ago. for example, when i call my homosexual freind a gaf i am not referencing his homosexuality, just his effeminate manner, and that would go for anybody, gay, straight, male or female.

theres a south park episode called fags i think, it explains it perfectly.

xiphon
    Free Member

Trekster – Member
    xiphon – Member
    Just read that dog/spd thread in question – are people really that sensitive??

CharlieMungus – Member
    I really can’t see how people don’t see what was posted as offensive

Never been the on the receiving end of bullying

Fortunately I have skin sufficiently thick to withstand keyboard warriors. Although I’m sure a keyboard could give me concussion if beaten with it sufficiently hard.

Don’t take the interwebs so seriously (especially STW), you might hurt yourself.

Take care xx

Oh, and I ride a bright f-ckin’ pink bike – the most common question I’m asked is about my sexuality LOL

Mark

Winterfold, Every email that I’ve received and sent has been CC’d in to Carlton at Bikebiz. I believe they are contemplating a story. I’ve only posted direct quotes from his emails including the many threats of, ‘You geuninely can go f— yourself and you’d better do it quick before I do it for you.’ which generally formed the sign-offs to all his emails to us if I had to. His emails have been abusive and threatening but by and large empty of substance and so we are at the moment not planning on taking any further action.

He isn’t banned anymore and I’ve invited him to come back and explain that he was only joking to everyone – he’s even free to post copies of our email conversations if he would like to. I have no problem with being quoted.

I’m tempted to publish the entire thread of email correspondence. Frankly it’s only out of respect for the rest of his staff and the potential consequences it may have on them that i’ve chosen not to do that so far. His abusive actions and the threats he’s made against us should not reflect on the employees of his company or the brands that he represents in the UK.

Kuco

You geuninely can go f— yourself and you’d better do it quick before I do it for you.

And I thought he was being homophobic, but he really just wanted to get closer to Mark 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m in full support of this – he’s made his bed, now he must lie in it.

Unfortunately for the brands he represents, he’s now been crossed of my potential sales list.

The brands are welcome to find a new distributor (to whom I’d then become a customer of), that’s the great think about a free market…

Simple.

nickf
    Free Member

His abusive actions and the threats he’s made against us should not reflect on the employees of his company or the brands that he represents in the UK.

But they do, don’t they? No-one wants to deal with a d***-head, even (perhaps especially) if they purport to be ‘wacky’/’zany’/’hilarious’ types who “love a good wind-up” and are “the life and soul of the party”.

And if he trots out the TJ Defence*, he’s even more of an arse than I thought. Which, frankly, would be very difficult.

*Sorry TJ, but it neatly describes the situation. No offence intended.

Drac

I wouldn’t post them Mark, you’d have to ban yourself for swearing.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Angry-pirate – Member
    god, old people take this interwebs buisness far too seriously.

it doesnt take a genius to realise that due to the progression of the english language alot these insults dont mean the same thing they meant 1 or 2 years ago. for example, when i call my homosexual freind a gaf i am not referencing his homosexuality, just his effeminate manner, and that would go for anybody, gay, straight, male or female.

theres a south park episode called fags i think, it explains it perfectly.

Try telling this to the kids struggling to make sense of their sexuality and hearing the word gay slung around in the playground as an insult all the time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

just e-mail them to all P members as a special treat for our loyalty.

What he said an no need to have ago about age either TBH, I am not sure we fought battles [ litterally] for homosexuality to be accepted – see section 28- so that you could use the insult liberally to anyone.
    the constant association withanything gay as mincing, effeminate and soft is tiresome tbh. yor defence that you insult many is also an intersting one. What is wrong with being effeminate BTW oh wise young one?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 249 total)

The topic ‘Who was banned today?’ is closed to new replies.