Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Who owns an Orbea Laufey?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Im thinking of buying one! Tell me about yours.

orena45

Are you the same Ed that posted on the Rallon FB group yesterday?  If so, then you know that I love mine!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3g_kDYHGAL/

edward2000
    Free Member

That’ll be me!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yup. I’ve got three! The older one is 27+ and I love it. One of my favorite bikes and I used it for anything, nothing I wouldn’t ride on it.
    It’s fun and great in the corners. Strong too given what it’s put up with. The new ones are
    29 only with bigger tyres. I just built mine up but haven’t had a chance to ride it yet. Looks great, it’s pretty long and slack… more so than last years one. I’ll get a ride next week on it but I think it’s going to be a keeper.

andyecc
    Free Member

I have ordered one and can’t wait!
    Probably won’t be here until the New Year unfortunately
    Geometry and spec looks perfect

pigyn
    Free Member

Just had our first stock one arrive, not seen it since the launch event. Looks great, possibly the best 1.1-1.5k bike around. If I didn’t have a new custom painted Pipedream it may well have been added to the staff ride rosta! 😂

orena45

It really is a fun bike, the new one. Got mine as a winter alternative to my Rallon and my first hardtail for a few years. I was intending on getting the mid spec but my LBS had the base spec in early and I figured seeing as it’s main role is for some winter thrashing and the base spec was still pretty decent, there wasn’t much point for me spending more. It actually came with an upgrade on the cassette and rear mech to XT which was a surprise.

Been genuinely impressed with the Recon fork actually and the stock Orbea branded kit does the job fine. The only upgrade I want to make really is the brakes. The sub-Deore level brakes aren’t bad but do need two finger braking to get half decent power so I’ll get some Deores on it at some point.

My large bike comes in at 31lbs with a Rimpact insert in the rear so it’s not overly light but neither are the forks or wheelset on it. Certainly plenty of room to save weight if I wanted but it rides so well that I’m not bothered. Feels really confident downhill and there’s nothing I wouldn’t ride it down that I’d take my Rallon on.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4-A1rDHe1X/?igshid=1p5c2f6hm4h85

tuboflard

Thread bump! I was (and am) looking seriously at a Norco Torrent but the Orbea Laufey with a Fox 36 has caught my eye as an alternative. I understand that it might not be as rowdy but it still looks like a very capable bike and if Doug is prepared ride one on pretty much anything that’s good enough for me.

I’m struggling to find anywhere that has them in stock. Are they likely to be out of stock now until 2021 bikes are launched and should I hold out for one of these or can you still get hold of one if I look hard enough?

parkesie
    Free Member

My lbs has/had 1 in stock but currently can’t get more due to lockdown. Looks a great fun bike.

IdleJon

I’m struggling to find anywhere that has them in stock.

I’ve had one on order since before Xmas. It’s currently showing a delivery date of mid-June, and is apparently in the paint shop. However, because I work in the industry and get staff rates, I’m low down the queue it seems, so that might get pushed back. Although dates for customers are also showing as June-ish.

Orbea tend to build to orders, so I’d be surprised if there were many Laufeys lurking around in shops.

tuboflard

Orbea tend to build to orders, so I’d be surprised if there were many Laufeys lurking around in shops.

Thanks @IdleJon, given that they’re not even allowing orders to be placed on their website for the LTD version (the one you can upgrade to the 36 on) I’m not hopeful anytime soon that I’ll be able to get one. Maybe back to plan A.

IdleJon

given that they’re not even allowing orders to be placed on their website for the LTD version (the one you can upgrade to the 36 on)

I’ll have a look tomorrow if I remember…

bob_summers

nd is apparently in the paint shop

The factory would have been closed for weeks as it wasn’t classed as essential activity. Non-essential have been going back over the last week – whether that applies to Orbea I don’t know

scandal42
    Free Member

They do look awesome for the money.

pigyn
    Free Member

Looks like new orders not available on the top two levels, which likely means a lack of parts as they ARE taking new orders on the base spec. So they have frames.

I have a large green M10 in stock at Pedals in Edinburgh if anyone is looking 🤟

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hello! I´ve had the last 3 generations of the Laufey (since it was the Loki) and loved them. I´ve guided on them and would happily ride them on anything. Just a really nice geometry. The new one is brilliant (read disclaimer below). It is the bike I would buy if I had to buy a bike with my own money. It´s around 65º head angle now, 29″ wheels and looks great. It feels really solid. I´ve got two to share with the guide team, there is a black one and there is a sort of metallic greeny one which is AMAZING. I haven´t seen the gulf one in person but really, get the green. I´ve ordered my Rallon in the same colour. I´d love to get the orange Fox 36´s on it, I´m going to see if it´s possible because that will look amazing.

So the disclaimer. I loved the old 27+ one and rode it a LOT. The new one arrived just before lockdown and I´ve not done a lot of trail riding on it. I´ve done lots of playing about the garden and you get a feel for it, plus the few trails I´ve ridden. Lets just say I´m excited for when lockdown ends!

Orbea are partially back to work. I got an email saying the factory was open again. Then today I got an whatsapp from someone in the office with a photo of them all working in masks. Poor bastards, it must be horrible working in a mask all day. I´m pretty sure that supply will be totally screwed for parts and everything. It must be a logistical nightmare. That´s the extent of my knowledge. I´m friends with the guys there and have a relationship but I don´t work there or anything and I´m not normally privilege to more information than a bike shop would be for example. I was at the launch for the bike which gives me some info on the frame details etc if anyone wants to ask questions I might be able to answer depending how my memory is. (Lockdown in spain = too many beers!)

tuboflard

Cheers @doug_BasqueMTB.com, I did your Backcountry Pyrenees trip last year (Tim with the green RocketMAX) so you might remember my riding ability (inadequate in my view) depending on the rate of beer consumption. I’m after something different to the RocketMAX which is still fun on more techy trails in the Peak whilst still being able to put some miles in if I feel like it.

Anyway, fingers crossed that your lockdown ends soon and they you’re back to work soon too. Lucky that we’re still able to ride local which is making this bearable. Hope to be back out on one of your trips soon.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Tim, sorry I didn´t reply! I do remember of course, lovely bike. I think you´re barking up the right tree with a hardtail, I know I love the contrast with my hardtail after riding the bigger bikes for a bit.

Hopefully we are all out the other side of this soon and it would of course be great to see you out here again!

tuboflard

Cheers Doug!

schmung
    Free Member

Bit late to the party, but I’ve ordered myself one of these. Base spec with the marz forks on it. I’ll slap my old zees on it and should be good to go. Interested to see what all the 29 fuss is about

IdleJon

I got mine three days ago, after a six month wait. It was worth it.

Very fast. The 34s are very plush, the XT 4pots are brilliant stoppers. The back end is very stiff and wide enough to give me heel strikes on both sides of the bike, not just the RH side where it normally happens for me. But not too harsh to detract from the ride.

I’ve had two rides on local red graded smoother stuff (with plenty of tougher unofficial stuff in the same woods), and one ride on steeper, looser, tougher local stuff. The bike is only a few seconds slower than my 150mm Intense on the less tech trails.

Not convinced about the tyres but I haven’t tubelessed them yet. 😁

orena45

After 900 miles, I’ve put up my thoughts on the Laufey H30 on my blog. Might be of interest to anyone looking at these

Laufey H30 on me blerg

andydunne12
    Free Member

Has anyone rode an laufey and an On-one scandal?
    Quite similar bikes or am I wrong?

Northwind

Definite similarities. Thing is, Orbea is sold by a pretty awesome company that’s part of a huge worker’s collective. Whereas the Scandal’s sold by On One, prize bellends and known thieves. So there’s that.

IdleJon

I’m still enjoying mine, and it sill feels like my new bike despite having done almost a thousand miles since I got it last May. I can’t argue with anything I originally wrote about it above (or orena45’s blog). One of the guys I was out with last night was asking why he hasn’t seen my Intense for a while – it’s a mixture of the Orbea being so good and poor weather over the winter. I wouldn’t be concerned about this being my only MTB.

(I rode to work the short way this morning, on the Orbea for a change, meaning to take it to the MTB trails on the way home. Unfortunately, it’s been pouring since I got here, so the dusty trails of last night might be replaced with something distinctly slippier..)

andydunne12
    Free Member

Definite similarities. Thing is, Orbea is sold by a pretty awesome company that’s part of a huge worker’s collective. Whereas the Scandal’s sold by On One, prize bellends and known thieves. So there’s that.

Are Planet x so bad? If it is true, it’s nice knowing I handed them 1000 euro.
    Like my scandal though 🤔😁

steve2012
    Free Member

Just ordered my first new bike in c.10 years. Previous bike is very dated Orbea, to be replaced by Laufey H10, arriving Monday. Excited is an understatement!!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

@steve2012 How are you finding the Laufey H10? It’s on my list…

edward2000
    Free Member

OP here. I purchased a Laufey for the wife probably about a year ago now from Cyclewise. As she’s now pregnant we’ve decided to sell it as she didn’t really use it much anyway. So if you’re interested it’s on eBay, currently at a bargain of a price. I’d honestly keep if for myself if it was the right size. It seems like one of those bikes which is greater than the sum of it’s parts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254981485900?hash=item3b5e14b54c:g:rE4AAOSwkyJgoSMy

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Who owns an Orbea Laufey?’ is closed to new replies.