Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Who knows about BMXs then?
  • rockandrollmark

…cos all I know is that my first bike was a Burner, but after progressing to a 24” Peugeot at the age of nine I was always rubbish on a BMX and every time I tried to jump them I’d fall off the back.

Now that I’m over 40 I figure it’s either try BMXing or get a Porsche.

One of these has come up local to me for significantly less than the wheelnut of a Boxster. As I say, I know nothing about BMXs. Is this in fact a children’s bike, or are all 20” BMXs broadly the same size?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/kids-bikes/voodoo-zaka-bmx-bike—20in-wheel-204146.html

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Don’t waste your money. It’s a bmx shaped object that will fall apart. You’ll need to spend more to get anything vaguely suitable for adult bmx use.

riklegge

You can pick up a bmx pretty cheaply second hand but it’s worth spending enough to make sure you get something that can take adult sized incompetence!

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable can give better pointers than me, but I’d tend to look out for a respected brand (eg Wethepeople or similar), a chromolly frame and proper 3 piece cranks. I’ve previously managed to pick up a WTP Crysis via ebay for sub £100 although covid tax might have raised that a bit now.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Something like this would be great:

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/bmx-bikes/street-park-bmx-bikes/kink-gap-2020-bmx-bike

Look for 20″ wheels, part or full chromoly frame.

sharkattack

You’ll have more fun in a Porsche

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I really wouldnt bother

oldnick

What do you want to do on your BMX?
    My boys used to race so I got a race cruiser (24″ wheels) and it was great for pump tracks, skate parks and the like given that the old fart riding it preferred carving bowls to leaping off multi-storey car parks and the like.
    If you go race BMX then they are sized by length, plenty of good info out there.
    Bikes are constantly being sold on Facebook marketplace race BMX pages.
    Stunt BMX? No idea, sorry.

sillyoldman

If you were looping out on 80s BMXs then it’ll be worse on today’s as chainstay lengths that used to be 15+” are now 13.5” or so.

The trail orientated bikes would be best and least unfamiliar compared to super short and super steep street bikes (which make up most of the market). Fit do 2XL options in the TRL model, but they’re pretty scarce. https://www.deadsailorbmx.co.uk/product/fit-2021-trl-2xl-bmx-bike/

If you want to spend less, you’ll be stuck with shorter bikes and you’ll struggle to do better than this one in the classifieds – aftermarket quality everything, 21” TT so although the HT is steep and CS short, there’s some reasonable front end room.

Latest Classified Ads

flyingmonkeycorps

I bloody love my BMX after picking one up just pre lockdown, but I wouldn’t touch that Voodoo with a bargepole.

Full cromo frame is definitely worth looking out for but can be expensive. Decent cranks an absolute must. Longish top tube (mine is 21.3″ I think) is fairly essential also. Chainstay length is preference – longer is more stable which I quite like, modern bikes seem to be super short. If I didn’t occasionally use mine to ride to a spot or park I’d probably go brakeless, but having a rear is handy.

rockandrollmark

This is also useful info. In my total ignorance I’d assumed you either had super-trick race machines and <everything_else> and that it was all much of a muchness. I might offend a bunch of people by saying this, but I just didn’t think there could be that much “tech” in a BMX and certainly hadn’t considered that there’d be a BMX equivalent of a BSO

Thanks for the tips on TT lengths, CroMo and brands. There are some WeThePeoples for sale near me for a bit more than that Voodoo but still a lot less than a pair of tyres for the Porsche.

Really at the moment all I’m looking for is something to practice manuals and a little bit of what I believe the kids call ‘Jibbing’ but I guess much like learning to mountain bike on an Apollo, I’m probably much more likely to stick at it if I’m not riding a gate.

iamtheresurrection

I know very little about BMX, other than I bought a lovely Fly last year to scratch a 30 year itch. Everything hurts, especially the forearms and my back.

Everything feels unfamiliar. Sadly.

I wish I’d bought a jump bike – which I’d have been equally crap on but at least it would have felt something vaguely familiar.

My Fly looks class though 😉

sharkattack

Go to a skatepark and ask a kid for a shot on his bmx. If he doesn’t start screaming “stranger danger!” and riding away from you, then you can spend 5 minutes dropping into trannys with your chin way over the front axle. My guess is you’ll go home and start looking for a Cayman.

certainly hadn’t considered that there’d be a BMX equivalent of a BSO

God, yes. The vast majority of 20″ bikes that resemble BMX’s are absolute scrap.

If you want to cruise around popping mannys and hitting jumps try a 26″ DJ bike.

leeroysilk
    Free Member

It’s hard to describe just how twitchy a BMX can be if you’re not used to them. 74.5deg head angles and 13.5” back ends are pretty the norm now. A trail bike or even a race BMX would feel more stable.
    If you’re willing to invest the time there’s nothing quite like a BMX, if time (or patience) isn’t really an option I’d consider the Porsche 😉
    Something you could try before you buy, some tracks hire out bikes, could be worth looking into.

rOcKeTdOg

Got a 21″ Saracen amplitude for sale, great condition proper mid life crisis bike.

Mugboo

I bought an as new Saracen Amplitude Wave for my lad for Xmas and it feels pretty good. I expected it to feel more scary than it does. I’m 50 and am in the process of sorting the brakes out so they work, the easy little tricks from my days involved brakes rather than feet.

I’ll be happy if I can just relearn endo turns, front and back hops and endo’s into rolling backwards. I think my ‘aerial’ days are behind me…

I have a Saracen Amplitude CR3 jump bike for pump tracks which I bought for £300 as new from the classified on here and it does make a huge difference compared with my enduro bike at a place like LUBP. I’ve stopped taking the enduro there as I think I gain more from the jump bike.

joebristol

Every now and then I have a think about this – but a guy I know who is very decent on a mountain bike says that bmx’ dare crazy and try to kill you. His son bmx’s and he spends a lot of time at bmx / pump tracks. I’d look at either the 24” bmx type thing just about this post or a 26” wheel dirt jump bike. Both will be brilliant fun on a pump track but less likely to break you!

thebibbles

I got the kids a couple of Wethepeople bikes for Christmas and I did look at a 22inch version for myself but then settled on getting a dirt jump bike instead. I’m glad I did as that feels small enough for my 6’5” body to cling to at the skate park.

nwmlarge
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

I have a spare 24″ bmx in my cellar if you want something a bit bigger.

SirHC

I’d be looking at a 24/26″ dj/4x bike, bmx’s will feel very odd after many years mtb’ing.
    Tried riding one round the local pump track, was terrible, felt like i was either going to go through the front or loop out.

blakec
    Free Member

Is it to help with this

bikeing for over 40’s

On a related note I have a 2009 wethepeople 4 season I am about to put up for sale for £100. if you are based near sussex. as I have just went down the dirt jump route as well as it feels more comfortable

page 22-23 on the link
    go to page 22

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Check out this thread OP.

Tip: Avoid Halfords, Winstanleys, Chain Reaction, Wiggle, Mafia Bikes and Collective bikes.

Try to buy from and support a real BMX shop.

Some real BMX shops to get you going.

Alans BMX, Wigan
    Entity BMX, Poole
    Dead Sailor, Truro
    Waller BMX, Sheffield
    Crucial BMX, Bristol
    Customer Riders, Online
    Volt BMX, London
    Substance, Glasgow
    Mode BMX, Derby

I’d like to suggest the Source, but in these crazy times some of the smaller shops would be more appreciative of your business.

thepodge
    Free Member

In August I tried to buy a wheel from Waller BMX as they were the only people in the UK with stock showing (website said they had 2 of them), got the typical “we need to order it from our supplier”, chased it a few weeks later and then a few weeks after that, refunded in October. 7th January I get told they actually have them in stock now. Be wary of what you’re buying from them.

Halfords I order stuff and can collect it 24 hours later.

awkwardkid
    Free Member

Do it. I ride my BMX’s more than any other bike. I’ve a race bike and a street bike and the skills its teaching my kids means they are already better than i ever was some 30yrs ago. I’ve just gone brakeless and its scary but i’m learning more about riding than i ever have. If your tall you’ll be better on a frame with a longer top tube. My race bike is 21.5′ and the street bike is 21′. I’m 6ft and this works for me. You can go bigger and they do look like gates but if you’re a big’un why not.
    Go ride
    (oh… get the Porsche as well. Just outed my E46 M3 and its on my list)

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d also say to ignore all the people saying you’ll hate it, it’s too small, too twitchy, you’ll hurt yourself… You might, but you might also love it and find it a really convenient way to get in some pissing about on bikes time.

Also remember that you don’t have to go big! My main spots (in summer, I’m mostly working on getting fat now) are all pretty low impact with little jumps, drops and steps. It’ll take you a while to adjust, sure, but I reckon it’s well worth it. And if you pick up something second hand (sounds like some good offers in this thread) then the price of entry is pretty low.

Getting a proper decent bunny hop is a great feeling. Learning to grind is next up…

chownie
    Free Member

You won’t regret getting back into BMX. I did a few years ago and it’s just as much fun as when you were a kid. It doesn’t matter if you’re not any good, i’m not great!
    Going second hand is good advice, go full cross-mo if you can and pick the right size frame. I’m 5’11-6′ and ride a 21 inch top tube, my race bmx is 21.25. Avoid the kids bikes like the link you posted. Look at WeThePeople as mentioned, look out for brands like BSD, Total etc. I went with a BSD and i’ve also got an S&M ATF, both amazing bikes, race bike is a GT Speed Series.
    Someone mentioned some shops above, i’ve used Dead Sailor and they’ve been great and might be worth getting in touch with them for advice.
    If you’re on facebook look at the Ride On BMX group for older riders for inspiration and also Over 35’s Freestyle BMX group.
    You’re never too old for 20 inch!

oikeith

Do it, but do avoid that Voodoo or anything Halfords sells! I dusted the BMX off last year to ride dirt jumps in the summer, was great fun and cant wait to do it again!

towpathman

Have been thinking about giving it a go myself for a while, at 6’4 I think I’d want a 24” wheel bike, pickings on eBay have been slim, so I’m still searching.

Some good advice in this thread, thanks

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Echoing somethings already said, don’t be put off by getting a 20″. If you need a bit of room look for top tubes 21″ plus. For stability, look for longer chain stays. The FIT TRL mentioned earlier is a good bike.(I’m 6’2″, I ride a United TRU with 21.5″ TT / 13.7″ – 14.11″ CS)

With all this Covid malarky going on my MTB hasn’t had a look in for nearly a year. The BMX is simple. No faffing about, get on it, ride, forget all the BS of life. Even better, ride with my kids, explore the local streets and make some good covid memories.

Airing jump boxes, manuals, carving a nice line around the skatepark, bombing the streets and hopping off curbs… it’s all a buzz.

BMX and skating have helped keep me and my young kids happy and sane during Covid. I could get quite deep about how powerful and profound these simple and rewarding activities have been for for us.

Ride for yourself and have fun.

pickle
    Free Member

Definitely this!

Check out this thread OP.

Tip: Avoid Halfords, Winstanleys, Chain Reaction, Wiggle, Mafia Bikes and Collective bikes.

Try to buy from and support a real BMX shop.

Some real BMX shops to get you going.

Alans BMX, Wigan
    Entity BMX, Poole
    Dead Sailor, Truro
    Waller BMX, Sheffield
    Crucial BMX, Bristol
    Customer Riders, Online
    Volt BMX, London
    Substance, Glasgow
    Mode BMX, Derby

I’d like to suggest the Source, but in these crazy times some of the smaller shops would be more appreciative of your business.

ed-
    Free Member

I’m 6’2 41 never BMX. I’ve just got a new MTB bike. Don’t need a Porsche I’m happy with my D size ;-).

I’ve been ridding my local pump track on my hardtail and been loving it. Plus been hitting (very badly) a couple of dirt jumps, so much fun.

I’m also looking at getting a BMX. Maybe I’ll buy it and sell it on quickly but maybe not, it’s cheaper than going to the pub.

Give it a go, I will. Let’s do it

squirrelking
    Free Member

I know very little about BMX, other than I bought a lovely Fly last year to scratch a 30 year itch. Everything hurts, especially the forearms and my back.

Everything feels unfamiliar. Sadly.

I wish I’d bought a jump bike – which I’d have been equally crap on but at least it would have felt something vaguely familiar.

That was exactly my experience, I also royally **** myself on a box jump at Unit23 (front wheel clipped the edge and I swan dived to head). As well as buggering my shoulder and wrist for some time it knocked my confidence to hell. Sadly I never got back to get back on the saddle so to speak and eventually sold it.

I think a lot of my issues were from having nowhere to ride locally and being unfamiliar with the bike. When it was good it was great but you can only fanny about a car park for so long (unless flatland is your thing).

If you have somewhere to ride go for it. Mine was an old Premium Spire I picked up for 90 quid and sold for a similar amount. You’ll either get on with it and be fine or hate it,if you went second hand you won’t lose much if anything.

rockandrollmark

So much useful advice on here. Once again the STW community proves itself. Thanks guys.

I’m definitely thinking BMX rather than dirt jumper. I’ve got one of those in the back of the garage that doesn’t get used much these days. My primary motivation is around learning a new skill and building up techniques that will hopefully transfer to better riding on the trails. Also, given the current lockdown restrictions, being able to just arse about locally rather than hitting the trails will be a bonus.

I’ve already got a few watches and saved searches going on eBay. Usefully, it seems that BMXs haven’t been hit quite so hard by the COVID tax. I’ll keep you all posted on whether it gets traded for a Porsche.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ll add if you try any of the shops in the above list (please do much better than the big web stores) pick up the phone as their websites don’t have all the stock and its worth speaking to people as they quite often have stuff that’s not listed as online.

mccett
    Free Member

For hitting the tracks I would go for a race bmx, you can still tool about on it but the options for size are far greater. Race bmx are sized differently so an adult is on a Pro (nothing to do with skill level). My wethepeople street bmx is a bloody hateful deathtrap of a thing… its in the loft waiting for my 5yr old to ask for it in a few years.
    I used to race about 35 years ago and the bike was one size pretty much so I bought an Inspyre locally off ebay to go to the track with my lad. Got bitten by the bug again and proceeded to drop 2k on a Supercross with box one components and DXR cranks. In these times its my most used bike. If you look at race brands you will see pro sizes from Pro to Pro XXXL (i chose an XXXL at 5’10 coming from MTBs). A very good race one can be had new for a few hundred.
    Another bonus is that a race one will have been cared for a bit more and as someone has said, the prices are very cheap at the minute secondhand.
    I’m just gutted Ive not been able join a club or race since start of covid.
    Good luck, have fun.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Who knows about BMXs then?’ is closed to new replies.