Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Who is best for personal van insurance?
  • escrs
    Free Member

So my VW T5 kombi insurance renewal is due, the van is worth around 15k and im getting stupid quotes of upto 2k! for fully comp and purely domestic use and doing less than 7’000 miles a year

Last year it cost £600! which i wasnt happy about as my 2016 Ford Focus ST3 running 280 bhp and was worth 14k was only £380 to insure and thats with all its mods declared

So who is best for van insurance for dosmestic use only inc the occasional commute (normally ride to one place of work)

Van is lowered on 20in alloys so need an insurer that accepts mods

jam-bo

Nfu for our t5 for the last few years.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve generally always used Brentacre who are brilliant to deal with. Moved to A-Plan (now Howdens?) a couple of years back to take advantage of a multi car deal when I needed to insure a modified Mini as well… Mini is gone but left the van with them. They’re on a par price wise with Brentacre but their customer service is crap in comparison and they bent me over when I needed to cancel the insurance on the Mini which left a pretty sour taste. Renewal time is September I think so I’ll be looking at moving back to Brentacre…

spooky_b329

Adrian Flux for me

richardkennerley

I’m with Howdens, price seems good for a full camper conversion. Customer service was good on initial set up, can’t comment on follow up service as not needed it thankfully. They seem accommodating of mods, gave them a brief run down of the current state then they say any future mods are automatically covered, don’t need to tell them about it.

Yak

Ageas Van now for me for an old T5 Kombi, no mods. £382 fully comp inc breakdown with RAC.  Worth a try, but I don’t know about mods.

sharkattack

Brentacre were always the cheapest for me and also easy to deal with.

I’ll never use Adrian Flux again. They still haven’t sorted out a no fault claim from October 2022 and won’t give up my NCB. I can’t afford to be on our own family car insurance.

Simon

I’m currently with Brentacre for my slightly modded T4 Kombi, domestic use with commuting.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Howdens for me (formerly aplan)

modified t4 (22 years old) with full camper conversion. Was very surprised that it didmn’t increase that much this year

nedrapier

Admiral. £430 for a Viano. Not a camper, but reg’ed as car type, not van type.

Maybe the loss on the VW is driven by thefts? Another element of the scene tax?

nwgiles

Admiral for me on a caddy

ads678

Adrian Flux for me at the moment, but a general ‘compare the market’ search showed that a few other standard insurers were very similar.

That said, insurance for my 2014 Viano, (Car as above) is about £560 I think. I do have speeding points though.

johnnystorm

Aviva for me. Decent price every year, not worth the hassle of the comparison site runaround and easy to contact via chat not sitting around in a queue.

db

Brentacre broker for us. T6 limited miles to 5k, social only, Thatcham tracker, various mods declared e.g. Full camper conversion, alloys, stereo.

c£425 (renewed in March).

hammerandcycle
    Free Member

Purchased a van a couple of weeks ago 0 no claims on this policy was £280 with admiral fully comp, age 2021 ,8k a year social,domestic and commuting, Wife as a named driver.

Twodogs

Admiral for a T6 van (not camper)

Simon

I am old, have full no claims, no points and mine is the best part of £500, which I suspect is to do with having a BD postcode.

surfer
    Free Member

Ours is up for renewal. Been with Adrian Flux last year. This year they increased the price by about 30%! phoned around and got a better deal then went back to AF to see if they could beat it. They did and we are paying around £20 more than last year so result.

Mine is a self converted T6 and I reckon worth around £25 to £30k. The base van would only be worth about £17k so be sure you insurer is insuring it as a camper and will replace like for like.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

Will get some quotes from the recomendations and see what they can do

welshfarmer

Brentacre for my T5 4motion all mods declared and with social and business use. Just had renwal quote and going up from 360 to 440. Given what I have been hearing all over the net I think I may just suck it up. But I may also ask my local broker if they can do anything too.

spooky_b329

I’ll never use Adrian Flux again

Honest question, who do you deal with under a claim?  The underwriter, or the broker? (Flux?)

If its the underwriter I presume you can just ask Flux to exclude that underwriter when renewing?

jaylittle
    Free Member

Brentacre, I like that yhey don’t charge more for mods as long as there’s no significant power or value increase.

olddog

Put it in a comparison site to get a sense of what is available. I did this and ended up with Admiral

allfankledup

I have used Greenacre since we bought the van from @rickmeister some time ago – They don’t mind  a modded van (ours is mapped / lowered etc)  – easy to deal with so far – but tbh we’ve never crashed it so havent applied a litmus test.£300 ish last year

rickmeister

@allfankledup
    *waves*. Nice to hear it’s still rolling!

allfankledup

We looked at changing it out for a newer van – but we decided to invest in keeping the bus on the road. Full respray a few years back – it’s been back in recently for a new tailgate (they rust something chronic) and some tarting up.

Suspension changed for some rather nice coilovers from twin projekt.

Was up to Inversnaid then Glencoe last weekend to support a running race – it rocks – awesome piece of kit and still going strong at just under 180k miles now….

VanInGlencoe

diggery
    Free Member

Brentacre here for a T5 and very happy with them.

They are competitive, good to speak to and responsive on email.  Any changes and I just  mail them and it’s logged.  No additional fees for mods including wheels, suspension, interior or even a reamp.

halifaxpete

Used Greenlight for years to cover my modified Caddy for personal/commercial use, no complaints here.

escrs
    Free Member

Little update, so far ive tried the following and here are the results

Compare the Market £469 and its my current insurer (no renewal quote from them yet) next quote after that is for £1013!

Go compare £464 and again thats my current insurer, next quote is £980

Confused.com £570 and again thats my current insurer, next quote is £978

Adimrial wont touch me, no idea why, its just a genuine Kombi, lowered 20mm on 20in alloys with an upgraded Thatcham approved alarm and immobilzer, valued at 15k, parked on the road in a good area, only used for pleasure, 7000 milles a year, 7 years NCB (didnt have a car for 6 years so lost 15 years NCB)

Greenlight want £500

Ageas wont touch me

Brentacre- waiting for a quote to come back from them

db

£500ish seems like a fair price these days.

brian2
    Free Member

Dial Direct for me. Non conversion Renault Traffic  9yrs NCD, 3pts for an SP30. £370. SDP only, 7k pa. 3rd year with them, seem like nice people. They did try their hand for £450 this year and auto renewal  but a quick “Oi!” phone call calmed them down.

escrs
    Free Member

Dial Direct for me

They just quoted me £1793!!!

DaveP

Admiral multi-car, which accepts vans.  t5.1 170bhp with non-engine mods costs me about £300 per year

escrs
    Free Member

Admiral multi-car, which accepts vans.

They wont even give me a quote!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lowered on 20in alloys so need an insurer that accepts mods

Given the state of the roads this might have something to do with it!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.