Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • who here has never seen Star Wars?
  • Cougar

I’ve got this as my (computer!) wallpaper at the mo, guess that makes me a full paid-up Star Wars geek then

That’s fantastic.

mogrim

However in order for that to apply to Star Wars you’d have to accept the bullsht explanation given in the first film, which to be fair is best forgotten. Or come up with something even more wacky.

A fair point, well made 🙂 (I admit mentioning Clarke was trolling you a bit…)

Though most people, including me, would classify Star Wars as a science fiction film, even if it doesn’t fit your narrow definition. I’m guessing SF for you is “hard” SF, leaving space opera and the like out in the cold.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well not necessarily – I consider Ian M Banks to be scifi even though it’s space opera in nature. Because it’s about what would happen if we became so good at making machines to do stuff that we could do whatever the hell we felt like.

I just don’t see any science in Star Wars.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not even the light sabres?

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope.

They are simply weapons. The fact that they glow and buzz instead of go cling clang is not significant. They are made into potent weapons by use of a mystical magical force.. if that’s not fantasy I dunno what is 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Geek.

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Aww, you’re making me blush!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That’s just the midi-chlorians getting agitated.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wrong!

A lightsaber IS scientific….

The weapon consisted of a blade of pure plasma energy emitted from the hilt and suspended in a force containment field. The field contained the immense heat of the plasma, protecting the wielder, and allowed the blade to keep its shape. The hilt was almost always self-fabricated by the wielder to match his or her specific needs, preferences and style. Due to the weightlessness of plasma and the strong gyroscopic effect generated by it, lightsabers required a great deal of strength and dexterity to wield, and was extremely difficult—and dangerous—for the untrained to attempt using.
    😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Wrong!

A lightsaber IS scientific….

Blah blah blah blah blah geek geek geek geek blah blah blah nerd nerd blah blah blah blah geek geek geek geek blah blah blah nerd nerd blah blah blah blah geek geek geek geek blah blah blah nerd nerd blah blah blah blah geek geek geek geek blah blah blah nerd nerd blah blah blah blah geek geek geek geek blah blah blah nerd nerd blah blah blah blah geek geek geek geek blah blah blah nerd nerd blah blah blah blah geek geek geek geek blah blah blah nerd nerd

rocketman
    Free Member

Starwars was a huge event when it came out

^^ this

up until Star Wars we’d had The Towering Inferno and then Jaws. Everyone in the cinema stood up and cheered when the shark got blown up and when Star Wars finished, the lights came on, everyone looked at everyone else and stayed where they were to watch it again. We hadn’t seen anything like it before it was a truly amazing experience.

Cougar

We’re not really dissecting the definition of the term “sci-fi” are we?

(Whilst simultaneously calling other people geeks? Paging Alanis Morissette…)

molgrips
    Free Member

Cougar, subtle difference between critical analysis and geekery 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

everyone looked at everyone else and stayed where they were to watch it again. We hadn’t seen anything like it before it was a truly amazing experience.

Wow – jumped straight to the last page and that has almost made me want to see it !

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m not reading the whole thread I just want to know if anyone’s been so upset by any remarks that they’ve been sick?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s still not as good as Star Trek though.

Kirk getting off with a different coloured alien lass in every other episode…brilliant.

He’d knock ‘Lord’ Vader right out!

Cougar

Cougar, subtle difference between critical analysis and geekery

How geeky do you have to be to recognise that?

(sorry, I’ll stop now 🙂 )

cookies

as my mum said when she had watched stars wars for the first time…

“There’s goodies and badies and a lot of flying about”…

summed it up pretty well.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I’ve never seen clone wars – does that count?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

when Star Wars finished, the lights came on, everyone looked at everyone else and stayed where they were to watch it again. We hadn’t seen anything like it before it was a truly amazing experience

I too remember quite vividly, aged 10, queueing around the block in order to go and see it with my best friend. The next week we did it again. Then again. I don’t recall ever having to queue for any other film, ever. There were press reports everywhere of the queues, news reports on the telly. It really was a truly massive event at the time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It really was a truly massive event at the time.

For nerds it was anyway.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t think I was a nerd at 10.

But it was an event for nerds by the time Episode One came around. And yes I DID go to watch it at midnight on the night it came out but I wasn’t ready for all the nerds dressed as SW characters. I had just been out with a mate, got pissed and thought it would be a good idea. Just like the film itself, it wasn’t.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

think

Good qualifier there fanny 😛

(I’m only teasing of course. Not my cup of tea, but then many here would deride my film choices too.)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No offence taken – I like all sorts of film

Science AND Fiction

(Okay, so that Blues Brothers paraphrase doesn’t work here does it)? 😆

yoda
    Free Member

😉

Cougar

Okay, so that Blues Brothers paraphrase doesn’t work here does it

If it’s any help, I recognised the misquote before you lampshaded it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I should have left it shouldn’t I? Just trying too damn hard.

nicko74

I’ve not seen Point Break. A mate on Thursday said he wouldn’t talk to me again until I had… 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

The Matrix – great film, planned as the first part of a trilogy, spawned a couple of gash sequels

I cannot believe they wrote all that as a coherent plot in one go I assumed they made the first one it was a success and they just cashed in with some mumbo jumbo and nice effects.
    I stand corrected and hate it more now I know this

noteeth
    Free Member

Star Wars had a massive impact on me as a kid… not ashamed to say that I still love the original films.

emsz
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0BIazf-7j4[/video]

tinribz
    Free Member

Always was a Star Trek fan had never thought much of Star Wars (had seen New Hope years ago) till our youngest got in to lego Starwars recently.

So started watching and have to say I really enjoyed them. Prefer the Anakin ones TBO (Jar Jar Binks aside).

Sword fighting, hot women, spaceships, robots, guns.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBnFrtwPiok&feature=related[/video]

Whats not to like?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjGgHFUAF0&feature=related[/video]

Sniff.

GW
    Free Member

hot women, spaceships, robots, guns.

beedy beedy beedy..

tinribz
    Free Member

This is what I remember:

Cougar

Ah, Col. Wilma Deering. Television’s second sexiest Wilma.

GW
    Free Member

I thought everyone preferred Betty Rubble to Fred’s missus

Cougar

Sure, I’d go with Betty, but I’d be thinking of Wilma.

</GratuitousPopCultureReference>

kimbers

starwars was a success inspite of the fact that it was scifi, how anyone can say its not science enough, it has hyperspace, lasers, spaceships etc etc just because it doesnt dwell on the physics doesnt make it less sci-fi,
    it also has a fair dose of fantasy and you can see the 7samurai/ western influence

it is a shame that a lot of people dismiss sci-fi out of hand especially literature, there are some awesome scifi authors out there and its a great mechanism to explore humanity and other complex issues
    heinlien, dick, asimov, voenegut, gibson to banks, reynolds etc etc
    ask most people what planet of the apes is about and they will say monkeys 🙁
    fwiw i love pretty much all scifi and fantasy; trek , starwars, comics lotr the list is endless but i also love great films and books of any genre and it seems sad that people would exclude so much good stuff just because they dont like scifi (saying that i wont watch romcoms, reality tv or the films of goldie hawn)

id thoroughly reccomend the london film and comic con in june for a fiver it cant be beat…

psa aliens starting on film4 right now

Cougar

Ah, they’d be the Galactic Knights.

(*cough* so I’ve heard. You’d never catch me at an event like that.)

truebloodmtb
    Free Member

me or startrek

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘who here has never seen Star Wars?’ is closed to new replies.