• This topic has 149 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • How high do you think fuel prices will have to reach before…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘there’re 700,000 cars in Beijing..
    that’s a fact,
    It’s a thing we can’t deny
    Like I’ll love you ’til I die’

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Was there ever a consensus on how many bicycles there are in Beijing?

hora
    Free Member

Supply will get to a point where the US military ringfences and ‘defends’ it. So I don’t think arguing over Children and Grandchildrens resource means anything.

BTW, how are you getting to your trails this weekend? I imagine you ride local and don’t visit anywhere far.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘there’re 9,000,000 bicycles in Beijing..

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’m taking the train 4 stops down the line to the Long Mynd hora. Though as someone said before, “do you have to live in a cave before you can criticise resource usage?

TheBrick
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Ok 2yrs ago petrol was circa80p a litre?

Miles off. petrol 90 p, derv 99 p.

D0NK – Member
    A major change in our transport system (and energy sources in general) is needed to get out of our reliance on fossil fuels. It would be shame if all that ended up happening was a switch to electric cars.

As that idiot hammond needs pointing out to him, electric cars don’t fix congestion or death on the roads or greater seperation of communities etc etc

Agreed.

hora – Member
    Your post is called GCSE/A level Philosophy.

So he /she has managed to show the ridiculousness of your argument with with such a basic counter argument but yet you still persevere?

Let suppose the government cut the tax so that fuel is now 80 p a L again. Now what. It’s a finite resource, it will go up again but in the mean time the government has has lost a large amount of income. That tax will have to be regained somewhere, but spread over the entire population rather than weighted towards people who use more fuel.

Uncapped growth of anything is impossible. There can not be more and more transport going more and more places. Add in the fact that that there is less and less of the stuff used to fuel this transport and something has to give. So rather throwing a hissy fit and saying it’s not fair you need to get on with it and work out how your life and business need to be adjusted. The more creative the clever you are the greater level of your success. Thing don’t stay the same.

yossarian
    Free Member

the bottom line is that some people just don’t have the bollocks to say ‘f-ck it I don’t care’

hora
    Free Member

Oh I do care. I just don’t get the ‘I will do my bit’. Great. However don’t believe that your story will be along the lines of a Vodafone or Coca Cola TV ad ‘where the message spreads with smiles and joined arms’.

When the oil runs out there will be alot of fighting and death.

Edukator
    Free Member

You are doing your bit to pollute and consume beyond what you could Hora which surely is proof enough you don’t care. Doing your bit is neither difficult nor expensive. In fact if you look at the cost benefit of most of the things you could do you’d be quids in in under 15years.

There will be fighting and death in those places that haven’t prepared for a future without cheap oil.

crazy-legs

Unless all the planes and tanks are parked up uselessly cos there’s no fuel to put in them… 😉

Is it me or is it much quieter on the roads now? I drove in this morning and one of the roads in particular is usually chock full at that time. There was hardly anything there! Motorway seemed quieter too, I was doing 65mph and I was far from the slowest car there, quite a few sitting there at <60mph even though it was pretty clear.

hora
    Free Member

You are doing your bit to pollute and consume beyond what you could Hora

Now you are assuming and completely missing my point.

Instead of looking inward for efficiency savings of every aspect our Government needs more revenue to simply keep government departments turning.

How soon before the Government launches a future campaign for local communities to ‘take control of their streets’ i.e clean your own streets (but still asks for increased council tax?).

Keeping fuel tax high is helping to support waste in Government.

crazy-legs – it could be half-term in your area?

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is about this arguemnt is that it’s not a personal one.

If I say that consuming too much is bad, then go and consume too much – it doesn’t mean that what I said was wrong, does it? It makes me weak and feeble, for sure, but it doesn’t invalidate what I said.

Or to put it another way, if I say something is good and I strive towards it, I may fail. However the aim is still good.

crazy-legs

crazy-legs – it could be half-term in your area?

That was last week, the roads really were empty then! Maybe there’s a few schools off though.

hora
    Free Member

If I say that consuming too much is bad

There are people on this forum that have done/are doing circa 30,000 miles a year for their jobs. Crackers. I wouldn’t even be able to ride at the weekend.

I drive at weekends. Fuel costs don’t limit me. What limits me is quality time. I also buy secondhand bike bits where possible and secondhand cars so I’m not immediately part of the ‘buy new every year’ clan that perpetuates waste.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m assuming nothing Hora, your lifestyle is one of the best documented on the Interweb.

Once again you put the onus on the government when it’s you youself can do something but won’t. It’s not thme it’s you; you are part of the problem and you could stop being part of the problem. When you have done soemthing and are no longer a part of the problem, then is the time to start pressuring you local authorities to cut waste. I’ve raised the energy efficiency issue in public buildings at political meeting and recieved commitments to do something – and things are being done. For many people all that is required is a convincing argument such as “you’ll save money, pollute less and have soemthing positive to report in the local rag”.

I’m trying to produce convincing arguments here – such as I cobbled together a solar water heater from the biggest Velux I could buy, 25m of 18mm copper pipe and a tank with a heat exchanger. It cost about 1100e. It works by thermosyphon so requires no pumps or electronics. It feeds the washing machine direct and serves as a pre-heater for a conventional electric tank when the water isn’t hot enough for a shower. Result: a 70% reduction in the energy used to produce hot water or a saving of about 100e a year.

You could do it too.

binners

Possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on here. Hora you’ve outdone yourself

I also buy secondhand bike bits* where possible and secondhand cars**

* Compulsively. Every single day. There is at least one diesel-gobbling Post Office delivery van kept on stand-by to ferry my bought-and-sold bike parts around the country, daily.

** Every other week

so I’m not immediately part of the ‘buy new every year’ clan that perpetuates waste

I’m speechless. Thats a genius comment. Even for someone with your monumental lack of self-awareness.I think everyone on the forum needs to collectively stand up and give you a round of applause for that statement. Absolutely priceless!

😀

hora
    Free Member

your lifestyle is one of the best documented on the Interweb

I assume you mean secondhand kit. Its hardly lifestyle more a throwback to a poor childhood becoming habit 😉

You could do it too

My house has cavity wall and loft insulation. I also use gas/power sparingly. I also buy reclaimed etc where possible as I naturally hate waste and ‘churn’.

Saying all this if I was minted I’d live on a mountain of coke, drive a Quattroporte and have more hookers than Berlusconi.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

*stands to applause*

hora
    Free Member

Slow claps mansonsoul back whilst nodding slowly. 😉

Anyone got a 50mm OS stem that they want to sell?

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m assuming nothing Hora, your lifestyle is one of the best documented on the Interweb.

I know it’s easy to jump on the internet bandwagon but that made me lol.

hora
    Free Member

I’m concerned about what I’m going to have for my tea and this Woman is worried about other things on another level 🙁

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/pictures/photos-10819/pictures-japan-earthquake-of-tsunami-rescue/1

WackoAK
    Free Member

more hookers than Berlusconi Charlie Sheen.

FTFY

hora
    Free Member

😆 I wonder who really would win that competition? I mean Berluaconi can’t just come out and boast about his life of largesse can he?

The dioty ol bugga

Junkyard
    Free Member

BTW, how are you getting to your trails this weekend? I imagine you ride local and don’t visit anywhere far.

you keepo trotting this hirse shit out over an over again everything alive is not carbon neutral why do you keep pointing out that alive peole use resources everyone knows this. It adds nothing to your argument

Now you are assuming and completely missing my point.

why not articualte it clearly then?

Keeping fuel tax high is helping to support waste in Government.

Oh FFS that is idiotic even by your lamentably high standards
    As molgrips says aiming ot reduce your use and trying to do your bit is far better than not giving a shit /or acting becuase of what china or India may or may not do

verses

What policy is China doing again to avoid ‘our mistakes’?

I like this one of theirs, but I guess it’d not be a vote winner over here…

stevemtb
    Free Member

Unless all the planes and tanks are parked up uselessly cos there’s no fuel to put in them…

I think this is a massive pointer to what is going to happen…..

One of the big economies will make a move on existing oil before they run out so they can try to control the supply.

How long is it going to be before the fuel producing countries save most of it for themselves and use a small supply to control their allies?

It’s all well and good doing what we can now but I seriously can’t see the dwindling oil situation ending any way other than seriously badly.

The nuclear situation in Japan is looking like making other countries switch from nuclear (not saying nuclear power is a good thing here) and what are they going to switch to if not natural resources?

Back to the original topic, people got jobs where they could when fuel prices were cheaper. They probably got homes in nice areas based on fuel prices. People may have made a mistake getting these homes and jobs but who could have expected fuel prices to rise this much, this quickly. It’s all happened too when there are very few jobs and the ecomony is in a mess so unless we all give up our jobs so the companies can employ those closest to home a lot of people will be getting into financial difficulty.

DaRC_L

Just to counter the media hype about Japan’s nuclear situation read this from The Register

Frank Herbert was pondering the oil crisis a long time ago in The Dragon In the Sea

The Chinese one child policy may well have a destabilising effect on society given that they all want it to be a boy. In the west I thought our birth rate was declining which is why the gov’t said we needed immigration to pay for our pensions…

molgrips
    Free Member

One of the big economies will make a move on existing oil before they run out so they can try to control the supply

No major economy is going to use world domination by force as their only plan in the event of oil becoming scarce. Not least because waging war takes a lot of oil.

Edukator
    Free Member

That report in the Register is starting to look very silly in the light of overnight events.

hora
    Free Member

Japan is the worlds third biggest oil consumer. Interesting to see what happens there.

My fear is what if one of these reactors becomes a Chenobyl especially so close to Tokyo? Awful.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘How high do you think fuel prices will have to reach before…’ is closed to new replies.