• This topic has 63 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Who had the chilliest commute this morning?
  • nickc

I saw minus 8.7 on the way to Warrington from Manchester on the Garmin, my thumbs have only just come back to life.

lunge

-5 on my commute from bedroom to spare room via a walk round the block with the dog. That’s in the midlands.
    -2 last night when I went out for a run…in shorts.

StuF

It was -3 on my way home last night. Luckily not in the office today

Dickyboy

-6 but nice & toasty on the train 🙂 hopefully the climb up a 40m chimney I’ve got to survey today won’t be too bracing

grimep
    Free Member

My fingers were burning as I grimly Bromptoned to the station, heard someone say it was -6C

Going to need a gloves upgrade

tomhoward

A balmy -5 in Leeds this morning.

toby1

No formal confirmation, but yr.no says -4 with a windchill of -9. It was cold, but didn’t feel too bad and it’s been dry for a while so frosty, but no ice.

nickc

You were “knees out” in this weather? Madness 🤣

longdog
    Free Member

-6.5c this morning in Angus, was -9c yesterday. A balmy -5c in the coast at Arbroath 😎

DickBarton

-6 around Stirling…crept up to -3 at the Hillfoots…glad my commute was a school drop off then back home to work!

Kramer
    Free Member

-6 in the car this morning.

Studded tyres arrived yesterday, will probably sit in the garage until next year now, but having previously come off on black ice last year, it’ll be nice to have them for next winter so I won’t have to resort to the car again.

fossy

Said minus 7 on my phone when in work (Manchester) so probably colder on the way in. Studded tyres though, and a few rear wheel slips and some two wheel drifting going round corners on sheet ice. My face cheeks were burning – the only exposed bit of skin.

Shimano MW7’s nice and toasty. Just slightly cold toes as I got near work.

elray89
    Free Member

Outdoor thermometer was reading -8  at my house when I left in the shady back garden. I posted about dropper post freezage yesterday – ride the MTB again today as prefer the idea of bigger tires in icy conditions. Didn’t have time to change my cable last night and same thing had happened, was out the saddle all the way to work haha. At least I wasn’t cold.

But yeah it is so cold. It is lovely though, everything is really still and quiet – frozen in time!

fossy

It was minus 3 on the way home last night at 5pm.  If you are getting studded tyres, can I recommend fitting them to spare wheels on your commuter. Means you aren’t running the tyres when it’s not icy – I used to commute all winter on ice tyres – they are very draggy.  I now have spare wheels, so it’s a quick swap if I suddenly awake to ice.

The wheels have been on two weeks, but I’ll probably swap back at the weekend given next weeks balmy forecast.

mert
    Free Member

-12 for me, it’s warmed up nicely since earlier in the week.

jam-bo

it was snowing as I walked up the garden this morning. sunny now.

ac282

-4 on the way into Cambridge. Beautiful morning. Much better than the usual +2-5 with drizzle.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

-6. I’m in Surrey, and therefore not used to cold weather.

Duggan

-5 here, I’m WfH and wanted to go out and get a coffee early doors at 6am as a bracing start to the day but had a home workout scheduled so performed some sub-standard press-ups, squats and planks in my living room instead.

Weighing up whether it will be safe to go for a run later or if it’ll be an ice rink and maybe turbo instead.

nedrapier

Possibly my 3 y.o. son on the MacRide. -2, only a mile a a bit, well togged-up with 2 joined-up pushchair muffs over the bars from knees to shoulders. But he’s out front and not pedalling. Pretty certain he was fine, but there’s always some nagging doubt!

Rivett
    Free Member

-4 on the way in but warm fingers in Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves,,

lovewookie

-7 this morning on my way to my Wetherspoons breakfast….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It was a bit cold leaving the bedroom but the office was nice and warm as that is the room with the hot tank in.

Daffy

-8 here in the south Cotswolds/east Bristol at 06:00.  With the wind chill, it was -11

stevious

-4 at the house this morning then dropping to -8 at the youngest’s nursery. Fairly extreme temperature inversion for a drop of ~100m

Klunk
    Free Member

not a commute, but was -8 in places on this morning little jaunt,  super fast trails though 🙂

jp-t853

East Cumbria

a875f967-f092-4019-a813-5526d0a0c7d9

simondbarnes

No commute but it was below -8c at 8 o’clock 🥶 (I also clearly need to up my thermometer game!)

InCollage_20240118_080558855

hatter

The boy to school on the cargo bike this morning, it was around -5 and cold enough to give me a proper crispy ice beard by the time I got home.

MoreCashThanDash

Minus 5 when I arrived at the station.

Felt colder as I waited on an exposed platform for a train running 20 minutes late.

jwt
    Free Member

-8 in south lakes

-4 in Barrow in Furness

IdleJon

-6 as I drove into work this morning, having given myself a break from the cycle commute because of dickhead driving, I watched a bloke on an ebike riding slowly up a main road wearing a t-shirt.

I also saw a woman driving down a main road with her windscreen completely iced up and poking her head out of her side-window to see. (I refer back to my comment about dickhead driving.)

branes

Slightly OT…balmy -3C dog walk in the Midlands this morning. At last the Decathlon boots that I got for Christmas are bang on – grip hasn’t been the best in the mud for the last few weeks, but as you’d hope they really did keep my feet warm today.

zippykona

-4 in Epsom. First ride with my hippo hands. They are brilliant. My arms were freezing but hands toasty.

franksinatra

-5C on the ride in to Selkirk today. I love this weather, proper winter. 

nickc

They are brilliant. My arms were freezing but hands toasty.

I definitely needed those  this morning, I could barely use the brakes, changing gear wasn’t happening at all.

scotroutes

#prayfortheshandydrinkers

neila

-7.5 according to the Garmin on my ride in to work from Dursley this morning at 06:45.

IdleJon

#prayfortheshandydrinkers

Yeah, we know, -6 is summer’s day in Scotland, blue is the default complexion of a Scotsman, you need factor 50 just to get from blue to white…

I live closer to the arctic than the equator. It’s not my fault you choose to live near Lapland. 😀

Houns

-7°C, may have been too much for my heated windscreen 

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.