Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Who decided to use fog lights as indicators??
  • MaxWall
    Free Member

I know there are many grumpy old men and women on here who quite rightly object to the mis-use of Car fog lights.

So, who decided that it would be a good idea when a car is indicating to turn right or left to also activate the corresponding fog light as well?? Seems like utter madness to me, adding more light into the faces of approaching cars and pedestrians sending out confusing signals or am I just missing the point??

Gary_C

Apparently its supposed to illuminate the corner you are turning into better.

stumpy01

Yeah, supposed to light up the corner you are going round better.

I was followed by an e-class Merc that had 'flashing' fog lights until I realised what was going on.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have never heard of that. Are you sure?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Illegal unless the law has been changed – only amber lights are allowed to flash – not white or red ones.

Sure its not just a faulty earth?

stumpy01

They don't flash – they stay on for the duration of the turn.

MaxWall
    Free Member

The fog light doesn't flash it just stays on whilst the indicator is flashing

Gary_C

TJ,apparently the corresponding foglight comes on & stays on 'constant' until the relevant indicator cancels.I've seen a new Merc E class doing just that.

EDIT:oops,too slow…..(bit like my riding atm)

stumpy01
    MaxWall
    Free Member

Saw a new Golf today with the same set up as these uber clever seeing round corners Mercs!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Crikey hadnt heard of that one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – from the OP I thought they were flashing.

footflaps

That Benzworld forum is worse than here – seen the responses the guy got….

waynekerr
    Free Member

I saw this in the States about 10 years ago, I thought it worked well.

MaxWall
    Free Member

Benzworld forum sure looks like a great place for info, or a complete slating for for being a complete numpty through no fault of you own!! Must be worth buying a merc just for the banter??

bruneep

With that attitude you wouldn't be getting much help here in the future.

ha ha! they should try on here to see attitude 😉

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

could have a field day on that forum!

Gary_C

Perhaps the Benzworld forum is populated by banned stw'ers? 😉

crazy-legs

It's not just Merc's, even our works Vauxhall has it. Supposed to light up the corner more clearly, it comes on automatically when you turn the wheel more than a certain amount when driving below a certain speed.

MaxWall
    Free Member

What next?? Will the Boot open automatically when a car comes within 50 yards of a Tesco at less than 30mph?

Mat

New Mondeo has it too

falkirk-mark

Did citroen not have lights that turned with the steering in the sixties?

Gary_C

Did citroen not have lights that turned with the steering in the sixties?

The old Citroen DS iirc,the 'full beam' lights did just that.

TheFopster
    Free Member

The Benz is the cheap version! The Vauxhall system (and others, I expect) is the proper one – it doesn't use the fogs, there is an extra lamp in the headlights and it points sideways. My car has it and it works brilliantly. Automatically disabled above about 20 mph so you don't accidentally wake up people in the middle lane on the motorway…

On tight bends on country lanes it's fab.

And for the real geeks… They (Vauxhall) are working on a system linked to 3D sat nav. It will raise the lamps when you're at the bottom of a dip to light the other side, and dip them at the top of a hill to stop dazzling drivers coming the other way. And they have a steel frame too for additional flex. Probably.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

its supposed to illuminate the corner you are turning into better.

Wouldn't it be better for them to stay on all the time then ? ………… so that all your "corners" are nicely illuminated like.

Of course it would take away the, "I want want a Merc with those clever illuminated corners" gimmick.

VooDoochild
    Free Member

The DS's lights actually "turned" into the corner following the cars steering. The newfangled "cornering lights" just go on and off.
    The lights on a Mercedes only work at low speeds under 40KM/H and shine in the direction the car is going. When e.g. the wheels turn right and the car goes forward, the right foglight comes on. When the car is then stopped and put in reverse they change from right to left. Although it "sheds some light" on what you're doing it make you look like a real knob.

How I know this?

'cause I own a merc and had this "feature" switched off at the dealer. 😳

Fog lights have no doubt been done to death, but………

(slating will ensue)

I like to use my front fogs. When I just have sidelights on, they make you more noticeable without the need for full headlights. And when using headlights, they simply illuminate your close up vision/peripherals better.

They don't dazzle oncoming drivers and I have no issue with approaching drivers using theirs.

Why folk feel they need to bang their rears on at the slightest hint of mist is beyond me though. Can you see the car in front? Yes, then I can bloody well see you from behind you numpty.

fruitbat

My Fiat Bravo has it too. I'm fed up with folk telling me I've only got one fog light working!

It also has another very annoying feature – If you're driving vigorously and you do a bit of heavy braking the hazard warning lights start to flash. It's very distracting and can really break one's concentration.

Two examples of EU tomfoolery.

zaskar
    Free Member

I've seen the standard dim dips move as you turn on some new cars but not fog lamps!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

using fog lights when it is not foggy – front or rear is illegal IIRC

My guess is that the ones on the merc are not fog lights but driving lights

TandemJeremy – Member
    TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

using fog lights when it is not foggy – front or rear is illegal IIRC

My guess is that the ones on the merc are not fog lights but driving lights

So is smoking weed, driving over the speed limit, riding bikes on footpaths, and up until the last decade or so shagging your missus up the arse.

Meh……

stucol
    Free Member

I see a flaw in these new fangled "see round corner lights".

What if you scandy flick it into the corner ? Can the lights react quickly enough ?

Oh and my Pug bleeps very annoyingly when you apply the handbrake at speed.

Yet more dumbing down of drivers abilities.

I shudder to think if this kind of unnecessary crap ever appears on MTB's.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and up until the last decade or so shagging your missus up the arse.

Well it might not be "technically" illegal, but I think that if you were caught, TJ would be well within his rights to deck you.

Lol ernie

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*sniggers*

Brycey
    Free Member

My missus's Clio Sport has extra lights that looks round corners; they're braw. She's not as modern in relation to the other issue.

VooDoochild
    Free Member

……when you apply the handbrake at speed.

Merc driving people don't do that sort of things very often sir. 😐

aracer
    Free Member

So is … riding bikes on footpaths

No it's not.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So is … riding bikes on footpaths

I think you needed to be more "specific" ArtistFormerlyKnownAs.

It shall be unlawful for a person on a footpath or bridleway to remain mounted on a bicycle when passing or overtaking any person on foot, and a person contravening this subsection shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds.

Oh ffs

Pedants back in your corner – you got my point

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Who decided to use fog lights as indicators??’ is closed to new replies.