Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whinlatter or Grizedale?
  • shanta
    Free Member

Got a weekend in the Lakes soon and just wondered which is the better trail? Also, never been to the Lakes before so are there any sights/atractions worth a look?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A massive amount of amazing mountain biking

Whinlatter trail more fun, BW’s round Grizedale good trails

robgclarkson
    Free Member

if you’re doing the trail centers, then Whinlatter.. if you’re going ‘wild’, then Grizdale…

failedengineer

Whinlatter’s much better. However, there’s some excellent natural stuff in Grizedale (some of the best in the Lakes, IMO)and you can use parts of the Grizedale North Face trail to climb to the top.

shanta
    Free Member

Is that stuff in the pics waymarked or do you have a GPX i can use?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The book is very good

number18
    Free Member

I love Whinlatter and I’ve been quite a few times. I’ve only been to Grizedale once and it seemed tame when sticking to the way-marked trails.

How easy is it to come up with a decent route of natural riding from Grizedale if you haven’t been before?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A basic grizedale of sorts, the guide book has some good routes in it
    https://www.strava.com/activities/234916251

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is that stuff in the pics waymarked

Of sorts

biglee1

Theres a few bits of the trails closed at whinlatter at the moment, the blue isnt opening until easter, because of felling work. Theres diversions on but just so you dont fly up and be disappointed cos bits are shut 😀

postierich
    Free Member

I despair sometimes!

Do this route

https://www.strava.com/activities/245459088

martinhutch

I despair sometimes!

Why? Not everyone grew up with a map in their hand, or is lucky enough to have gained the confidence to use it – that’s why waymarked trail centres are so popular.

I’d also recommend buying the guide – it not only has written directions, but route plans overlaid on 1:50,000 OS Maps, so is a great introduction to navigation in the hills using OS symbols. If you buy a 1:25000 map to accompany it, that’s even better, especially if you take a wrong turn…

There are at least three or four good ‘natural’ routes in the Grizedale area in the guide. Pick one, enjoy.

boxelder

Weekend? Do both.
    Grizedale Saturday – ask in the shop at the visitor centre for other ‘natural’ trails. Sunday – drive up to Whinlatter. Nice drive, and a couple of hours riding. the blue ‘Quercus’ trail is preatty much shut. The two together will give a flavour of the Lakes and Whinlatter/Keswick is 30 mins from the M6 (wherever home is).
    Once that’s out of your system you may want to explore what else the Lakes have to offer (which is a lifetime of good times….). For alternatives to Whinlatter, drop in to Keswick Bikes and they’ll give you the gen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also Biketreks do shop rides
    http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/content/the-biketreks-shop-rides.aspx
    and have some maps marked with routes to buy for Ambleside (though you still need to be able to follow a map)
    There are also plenty of guides around who will take you out for a day if you are not confident.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter or Grizedale?’ is closed to new replies.