Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • which xs full-suspension mtb?
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

for my wife.

She’s 5’1″, which is only 1 bike-size smaller than average*, but we can’t find a bike that’ll fit her.

(*average height for a uk woman being 5’4″)

requirements:

approx 100m travel (longer travel bikes tend to ‘stand’ taller, we’ll consider them, but in our experience more travel = less standover)

not pink, not even a little bit.

not called something like ‘luscious’ or ‘dream-fairy’ or other such nonsense.

threaded bb, because.

so, what’s out there?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Merlin had some titchy wee BMC’s they were flogging off v cheap.

transporter13
    Free Member

New or 2nd hand

Pretty sure the Giant trance comes in xs (14.5)
    Small kona of some sort…my 9 year old daughter rides one which is 15″ (4’11”)

mjsmke

Whyte T129? I’m only 5ft5 with short legs/longer torso and feel very comfortable on their T130.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) ta, i’ll have a look at Merlin.

2) yes, new or 2nd hand.

3) thing is, 14″ or 15″ frames are so tall, there isn’t enough room on top for a go-go-gadget seatpost.

good stuff though, keep them coming!

edit:

4) thanks, but sorry, no 29ers. We tried, but the handlebars were waaaay too high – even with flat bars/slammed upside down stem. And, at 5’5″, you’re taller than average.

transporter13
    Free Member

Consider downsizing cranks?
    150mm will allow extra dropper height..as will a slimmer seat and thicker pedals….sounds silly but it all helps.
    I put one of those cheap droppers on a carrera detonate 24″ wheel bike for my son…140mm cranks..slim seat etc and he could use the dropper properly at 4’6″. The bike is a 15″ frame btw

RobHilton
    Free Member

Check out 4x/dual/slopestyle bikes – can be v pricey new, but old stock or 2nd hand can make affordable. They’re tiny and **** great fun 🙂

Banshee Rampant, Intense Tazer, Foes 2:1, Spesh sx, Transition double, pivot m4x are some of the most desirable

Have 2 rampants and am always lusting after the others in that list 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

Cranks are taken care of, she’s got some 140’s we had made for her.

(part of the reason why we need a threaded bb – you can’t fit square taper cranks in a press fit frame)

Good call though, you’ve clearly faced a similar struggle!

rudyard197
    Free Member

When we were looking for my GF (5ft 1) the one that stood out was the Kona Process. They have loads of stand over. They also do a women specific which was not “girly”.

peabrain
    Free Member

I know an 8 year old who rides the Norco Fluid 6.3. Not a tall 8 year old either – less than 4’5″

transporter13
    Free Member

Peabrain….deffo not the 4.3?

peabrain
    Free Member

deffo not the 24″ version – I know a kid with one of those too 🙂

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

As Rob Hilton suggested, look at full suss 4x/DS bikes. I’ve been using a Meta4x as my do everything bike, and at 5’6″ its still on the small side for me. Its done scottish and welsh trail centers, mini DH and Brighton to Guildford (approx 40 miles) rides.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Offspring #01 recently got a Giant Stance in XS. He is under 5’and it seems to suit him well enough. Would have thought the other Giant frames would be about the same dimensions in XS. Can’t say i am fan of press fit BB either but that is what you are going to get from the majority of companies i think.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Irony overload.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) the Trek fuel Jr is a good spot, although it seems we have to buy it before we can try it…

2) i’d seen the Norco Fluid, it looks almost perfect, but there’s no uk stock of the XS.

3) Kona, right, good spot. we’ll check them out.

4) no 29ers, they just don’t work at that size.

5) no 4x/slopestyles bikes, they’re too heavy, and the geometry is weird. (sorry, yes ‘we’ will consider them, but with very little/no demo available this will likely be a purchase in the dark…)

6) There are some xs Giant options, but all the ones i’ve seen have a press-fit BB, which would mean my wife won’t be able to use cranks that fit (165’s are miles too long). if the cranks don’t fit her, the bike doesn’t fit her.

so. Trek, Kona, hunt the Norco. good, thanks everyone!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

If the cranks are the only thing stopping you there are many adapters on the market.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘which xs full-suspension mtb?’ is closed to new replies.