Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which tablet for my Nan?
  • Speeder

My Nan is getting on a bit (err 95 . . . ish?) but likes to be “online” so she can get/send emails from/to various people and err look at the M&S website I think.

Anyway she’s got an ancient ex Vista powered and rubbish laptop that doesn’t move out of the old office in her house as the battery is so clapped out it won’t last 5 minutes and she’s got an idea that a tablet would be a good idea.

For ease of use my first thought is an iPad but that’s because it’s what I know and I know they’re relatively simple to use and I think that it’d be the easiest learning curve. Can anyone convince me there’s a better (cheaper) alternative?

For reference I’m considering something like an Air 2 or iPad 4 (capacity immaterial as it’ll never get used up) or later as these seems to come in around £150 pre-owned (I’m buying it, I’m not made of money and she’ll never know the difference).

Any experience appreciated.

Gary

PS. If anyone’s got anything similar to the above that they’d be happy to part with for reasonable money, please consider this a stealth wanted add. ;o)

somouk
    Free Member

iPad is a great shout and going for an older one will still be fine for most.

db

Ipad! – my mum and dad both have then and the level of IT support I give them as dropped tremendously since they hardly use the PC any more.

I’m not and apple fan but the Ipads just seem to work. Cost a little more but just go for a basic model min spec or maybe something refurb.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah def an iPad, I often get calls from my Dad about his desktop, WiFi or Sky TV playing up and him needing assistance (thank god for reboots…) but never about his iPad.

fossy

Ipad or Android Tablet (depending upon what you (IT Support) knows best.

We bought the MIL (82) a Amazon Fire 10 – she’s needed no ‘support’ other than when she cant remember where the Facebook icon is (she only views what family are doing). I went Android as the other direct relatives have Android phones – so I wouldn’t be the only person (they have a habit of denying all knowledge of how things like TV’s work).

It’s been fine, the only issues at first were her stabbing the screen too many times without waiting for it to load a second later. We also got a big ‘rubbery’ case as she has use of one hand only, so this made picking it up easier and protecting it from drops.

IHN

Statins?

CraigW
    Free Member

For email and stuff, maybe better with a proper keyboard?
    eg a Chromebook.

kelron
    Free Member

Would it be better to get her something that will be familiar? I don’t have good experiences introducing new technology to older people, sometimes they’ll be happier sticking with what they know even if it doesn’t appear to be the simplest way.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Based on my 70 year old parents and their ability with technology, this is the only tablet they need

Seriously, I got my kid an Amazon Fire tablet and installed Google Play store, i like it

cornholio98
    Free Member

My 96 yo gran has an iPad. Easy to set up and she can email, FaceTime etc to everyone else in the family.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Statins?

I’ll give you that IHN. I tmade me chuckle.

What about a Huawei Mediapad T3? Very good VFM.

johnnystorm

As mentioned above Huawei Mediapads are a bargain on Amazon at the moment.

Huawei MediaPad T3 10″ Tablet(Grey) – (Qualcomm Quad-core 1.4GHz, RAM 2GB, … https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072PTK61S/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_z.LeCb0WFA8BZ

I’ve just taken delivery of the M3 8 Lite this morning, so far seems a great bit of kit.

If she is used to a laptop and touchpad, as mentioned above a Chromebook will be an easy transition and you can get a decent one for your budget.

ASUS Chromebook C223NA-GJ0014 11.6 Inch HD Notebook (Grey) (Intel Celeron N… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HJHMCX2/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_hcMeCbYHEWSS1

Speeder

Thanks all for the advice. I’ll look into the Huawei and yes the statins and fudge made me chuckle.

Anyone got a decent iPad they want to sell? ;o)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which tablet for my Nan?’ is closed to new replies.