Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Which steel xc hardtail for racing?
  • coopersport1
    Free Member

Think it'll be Pace vs R8 at the moment, or keep the 456 Ti and loose the TALAS for something lighter 🙄

taxi25
    Free Member

how about keep the 456 and alter the build a little? perhaps a shorter fork. Or race on it as is?

I raced mine ( pretty slowly, but that was me not the bike ) Wound the talas down to about 110mm fitted a 110mm stem, with x/c wheels and light tyres it was spot on 23lb. You could go lighter 22lb would be pretty easy.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Well if anyone is interested i will be selling a Dekerf Team SL frame.Its a 21" Team SL.Will be cleaning it up this week for photo's.In the meantime here's some photo's when it was built.Sorry to butt into thread!
    Thanx Max

Norton
    Free Member

Another vote for the Scapin – my Nope frame weighs 3.5 lb and is just that, a no compromise steel XC frame. I can't think of anyone else who does this.

Northwind

Have you got a frame weight for the R8? Orange have been very cagey on this… And when you consider it'll live or die by its weight that seems a bit suspicious to me…

br
    Free Member

Put a carbon rigid fork on the 456Ti?

How tall are you – maybe look at a 29er?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Crikey ..which is bigger 5 bar gate or the Dekerf???

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I was looking at someone's Genesis 853 frame today. Looked really skinny and lightweight – xc racing looks and angles about it.

Could be an option?

corroded
    Free Member

I'd rule out a Blizzard – fairly weighty for an 853 frame and shortish top tube. (Didn't stop my third place in a 24hr race though!). Given the choice I'd go for a Scapin for racing.

cy

A Soul would be pretty good in my opinion if you definitely want steel. Only the Scapin would be lighter out of the frames mentioned, and with 100mm forks it's ace racey geometry (same as the Soda Kate Potter races at World Cups and the World Champs). Despite what's claimed about steel frame weights, we've measured a few and nothing comes within 1/3lb of a Soul apart from a Rock Lobster, and the RL has some 'interesting' handling characteristics if the last one I tried is anything to go by.

sssimon
    Free Member

my 853 genesis was lighter frame only than my soul if only by a few grammes cy

turner fan, email me some details, pics and a price on the dekerf although I reckon it's maybe too big (top tub, seat tube and head tub would let me know)

Kuntoilija
    Free Member

What is so "interesting" (bad) in Rock Lobsters handling ?

sssimon
    Free Member

I'm guessing the big high bb, short top tube, steep head angle and the flex that is always waiting to bite you

(not a fan!)

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Which steel xc hardtail for racing?’ is closed to new replies.