Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Which sport/activities for upper body strength?
  • borwens
    Free Member

Err spanner in the works, climed fr about ten years, reasonably well as in onsight e5/f7b, an ive never been muscular, if you pay much attention loads o the top lads aren't so much muscly as they are carryin zero fat. All my mates that bmx however are absolutely stacked!!! Oh on the plus side never had arm pump in five years o mountain bikin……

aracer
    Free Member

If you want to build muscle doing something fun, then kayaking is definitely way ahead of everything else mentioned. Most things like BMX, climbing etc. aren't actually that good a way of building muscle, as you're not doing the sort of continuous regular working of the muscles – unless you're climbing really hard stuff you shouldn't actually be using your arms that much, and the guys doing harder stuff mostly get their muscles in the gym.

Rowing would be up there, but it's not a very accessible sport given the commitment needed by a typical rowing club, apart from using an ergo which can get almost as boring as doing weights in a gym. Swimming comes close, but IMHO is far more boring than kayaking as you only get to see the same bottom of the pool all the time (unless you do "wild" swimming, which is recommended, but also has accessibility issues). Also not quite as good at building muscle as kayaking as the peak forces are lower – top swimmers also get their physique in the gym, whilst I've got quite decent upper body development just from kayaking with almost no gym work at all.

I would suggest XC skiing / roller skiing given that's the main way I've maintained my upper body muscle whilst I've been doing less paddling, but that's not exactly very accessible either!

juiced
    Free Member

aracer I would disagree with the part about bmxing. If your riding you find yourself constantly using your back, lats, chest, every few yards to keep the bike going. You do not sit down and pedal.

terrahawk
    Free Member

indoor rowing and singlespeeding both work for me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don't think rowing would do much for anything other than the core. If you're building up a lot of upper body strength, you're not doing it right. Climbing doesn't have to be all about muscle. I hear Jamie's a bit on the weedy side anyway, so at least he won't be dragging too much up the wall. It's more about strength. Once you get above a certain grade, you'll realise it's all about the feet, but strength and balance give your feet the platform.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Dirt jumping (or general trail building)? As much time spent moving earth around with a spade as riding.

Macavity
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

I hear Jamie's a bit on the weedy side anyway, so at least he won't be dragging too much up the wall.

T'is true. I am more windsock than man.

Anyways, Graham, mail me if you see this mate.

grahamt1980

emailed you

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Love is in the air…

grahamt1980

hope not, the missus will be pissed

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy:
    Love is in the air.

Strange. Never took you for the jealous type DD.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Genuinely LOL'd 😆

Talk to the hand!

Lifer
    Free Member

Kayaking is would be better for training I reckon, lots of muscles depending on which stroke you practise! And definitely worth getting into, whitewater is fun.

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Which sport/activities for upper body strength?’ is closed to new replies.