Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which router?
  • Prophet2
    Free Member

I currently have a BT Homehub 3.0, with BT Infinity, it is now time to upgrade the router to cope with the demands of multiple devices!

The BT Homehub v5 is an obvious option, but I was hoping to get some input to what else is a possibility. The kids steam lots of online videos each evening via wifi so the router takes quite a hammering.

Looking at online reviews there seems to be a wealth of choice and numerous Top 10s that don’t seem to have a common consensus on the best routers 😯

So any help would be gratefully received!

Drac

The HH 5 works fantastic I’d be sweet talking BT into giving you a new router.

jezzep

YeP I did this I just told them they should supply one for free since it is required for infinity, well that’s what I told them 😉

BR
    Jerry

Cougar

“I’d like a new router for free, this one’s pish.”

“Sorry sir, we can’t send out free routers.”

“Well, it’s unusable in its current state so I’d like to cancel my contract.”

“Where would you like it sending?”

… is how I’d imagine that conversation to go.

IA

The HH 5 works fantastic

Well, apart from the well documented (even on here) 5ghz/2.4ghz issues. And even when it works, if you want faster/longer range wifi, or other features like attaching a HDD to use for remote time machine backups, printer server or anything. Or more advanced traffic shaping control/bandwidth limiting etc.

I’ve got an asus DSL-AC68U – it’s much better than the HH5*

*it’s also much more expensive, but it’s about as good as you get.

IA

Oh, noticed you said

” wealth of choice and numerous Top 10s “

There aren’t that many choices for a VDSL modem which you need for an all-in-one box. Which it occurs you don’t necessarily need as if you have a HH3 and infinity you must have the separate VDSL modem, so you could use any router. The DSL-AC68U is a VDSL one, they do an equivalent with a very similar name that’s just the router part.

Drac

Well, apart from the well documented (even on here) 5ghz/2.4ghz issues

That are so very easy to fix as documented on here.

And even when it works, if you want faster/longer range wifi, or other features like attaching a HDD to use for remote time machine backups, printer server or anything. Or more advanced traffic shaping control/bandwidth limiting etc.

Given the OP never mentioned any of those I don’t see the issue.

IA

That are so very easy to fix as documented on here.

The fix only really works if you’re happy to manually hop networks to get the faster available or let the machine do it automatically and suffer the lower speeds. Which brings me to..

Given the OP never mentioned any of those I don’t see the issue.

He might care about the faster longer range wifi. Only might though as it depends on the devices used…

I’ve 70Mbs infinity, 2.4Ghz generally won’t saturate that, on the HH5 even on 5Ghz you need to be right beside it. With the asus on a modern .11AC device (ipad air 2) I can get full bandwidth anywhere in the house now, with the HH5 there were places with no signal at all and the average was in the 10-30 range.

You share bandwidth among the devices on wifi, so the more you have the more there is to go around. With the limited range of the 5Gig band on the HH5 this was more of an issue.

Of course if all the OPs devices are old/cheap they won’t have fast wifi anyway, and if reception/speeds aren’t an issue on the HH3 they’ll be fine on a 5 I’m sure.

FWIW I have a HH4, a HH5 (actually I’ve had 2, as I wasn’t happy with the performance of the first so got BT to send a second), the Asus, and I borrowed other routers from work to try out before I splashed out on the Asus – I’m not just blindly recommending what I have.

If the OP wants just a router (and use the current VDSL modem) this is worth a read:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

willard

I got a TP-Link one for when I finally got FTTC. It seems to work well, does ADSL and VDSL and can do 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz, has QoS, other features…

I like it. I just wish it had a better login UI, with HTTPS access.

Edit: one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TD-W9980-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B00NEQZ12Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443170436&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+VDSL+router

Prophet2
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys. One question, I have a BT Openreach box that the grey cable goes to from the wall socket, with another cable then routing to the Homehub.

I take it that this is the modem, would this now become redundant looking at some of the routers that have been suggested?

All the wireless devices that are used in the house are less than all less than 18months old, mix of Android and iOS, all uptodate with the latest OS releases.

IA

Yeah the open reach box is the VDSL modem.

To add to the above – the HH5 is “fine” and you can probably get one for free. It’s not a bad option. But the third party options are measurably and noticeably (for me) better, albeit for a cost.

Drac

But the third party options are measurably and noticeably (for me) better, albeit for a cost.

Yup pay for a quality one and it will be better but as you say at a price. HH5 works well for home use of the average user.

Bimbler
    Free Member
    H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Suggestion a bit out of left field here but I’ve always had better luck using a separate wifi access point rather than the frankly awful wifi that is shoehorned into a router.
    Just recently installed an XClaim Xi3 in the house and the performance is excellent. House is an ancient stone building with massively thick stone walls and the layout is long and thin so coverage can be an issue. The AP supports PoE (Power over Ethernet) and comes with a PoE injector so you can install it anywhere using only a single cable. Installed mine on the ceiling of the central hallway and I have a good strong connection everywhere. AP is designed to support up to 100 clients concurrently so it handles home usage easily which is handy considering all the tablets, phones, laptops, smart tv’s, games consoles etc. in the house.

Here’s a video review… http://youtu.be/jiDzh59sYz4

Alphabet

I’ve tested a few routers with my BT Infinity as I can borrow them from work. The HH5 works great and as it was ‘free’ from BT I decided it wasn’t worth spending money on another router.

If money is not a consideration than the best I found of the ones I tested was the Vigor 2860 which is about £230 for the wifi version. We use these at work and they are a great bit of kit.

CraigW
    Free Member

Got a TP-Link WD-9980 here, works fine. Has the VDSL modem built in, so no need for a separate box. Seems decent wifi signal (2.4GHz), covers most of the house. Also has 5GHz wifi, but I’ve not bothered with that.
    Plenty of options to configure it how you like.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which router?’ is closed to new replies.