Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which rear shock RP23 or RPL
  • Scottlacey
    Free Member

I've just come from a hardtail to a superlight with a Float R Rear Shock and am noticing a lot of bob. I would like to change it and am initially thinking of getting a RPL which can be locked out but the RP23 seems to be the top of the range and is only £10 more to buy with something called boost valve.
    Does anybody have any experience of these preferably both???

Scottlacey
    Free Member

anybody?

convert

I don't know enough about the rp23 that I've just become an owner of on a new frame to give you info. You could get your existing float pushed by tf tuned to better suit you and the frame – i.e. more pro pedal.

My experience of single pivots against other linkage systems (dw & vpp) when riding some before buying my latest bike is that they need plenty of pro pedal if you like getting out of the saddle much – a trade off for a simple and easy to maintain frame I guess.

I've had a single pivot with a 2004 rpl shock with lock out before and wouldn't go back – you loose one of the benefits of owning a fs, namely the extra grip of active suspension on scrabbly uphill stuff. The idea of flicking in a heavy pro pedal mode is more appealing to me. Mine had a remote for the lockout (they might all have that) and I was forever flicking it on in descents which was unnerving. My mate has a superlight with your shock and doesn't find it an issue, but he is a spinner on the climbs and has a light touch.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Ok convert, cheers for that, Food for thought i guess.

grumm
    Free Member

What size shock are you after?

Scottlacey
    Free Member

200 by 50 i think but i would have to check. It would be for a santacruz superlight.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Why grum have you got something for sale?

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah don't think it's the right size though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn't use a lockout on a fs bike unless it was some kind of racy thing. It's just wrong. Pro-pedal or equivalent is good, and the RP23 has good adjustability. However they do come set up differently for different bikes. You may find that if you get one with a 50mm stroke from say a 4inch bike and you put it on a 5 inch bike, the damping might not be enough.. and vice versa.

retro83
    Free Member

I've just come from a hardtail to a superlight with a Float R Rear Shock and am noticing a lot of bob

Last few years Float R usually have ProPedal don't they?

Assuming you've set the pressures up correctly it might be worth giving TFTuned or Mojo a call, see if they think it'd be beneficial to change the ProPedal tuning on your shock.

convert

I agree about the s/h rp23 thing. Apparently the one on my 5 spot is very lightly damped whilst the one on an Orange 5 is damped to within an inch of its life by comparison to get a similar (ish) bike feel.

No idea where that leaves the aftermarket purchaser, apart from getting it pushed etc from new as part of the purchase process.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

The float R that's on the frame at the moment came with it. I bought it of a guy after Xmas and at a guess i would say he must be least 1.5 stone lighter than me.
    I suppose my decision has to be either send the float R to be serviced which I'm guessing will cost me £100 or rutland cyling are selling the latest rp23 with boost for £260 or for £290 mojo will set it up for my weight??

I think i will be disappointed if i pay £100 to get the r pushed and it comes back to me and i still get lots of bob when i pedal so maybe its whether i pay the extra £40 and get it from mojo?

Scottlacey
    Free Member

sorry, yes it does have pro pedal (the float R)

takisawa2

RP23 is a big improvement over the older 'R.
    Mine spends most of the time with PP on, but I like it to ride quite firm.
    My old Spesh with the brain shock was better.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

just ordered the rp23 from mojo 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which rear shock RP23 or RPL’ is closed to new replies.