Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which pickup for £3k?
  • mechmonkey
    Free Member

Have got an urge to get a pickup and got £3k to spend. Which one do I go for.

I need it for work, either loaded up or towing the trailer. Need it to get me where I’m going which is often into forestry or through fields and after a few punctures, scuffed bunpers and getting the inside of the car caked in mud, oil and grease since I started my new job, I need something more rugged. Do cover a decent mileage on tarmac too so would be nice if it didn’t guzzle fuel.

Do I look for an over priced, hyped up Hilux. Try to find a Defender that I can rely on(for that money?gd luck). Get an L200 and spend a fortune on parts. What about a Ford Ranger, not really heard much about them to be honest but perhaps a bit too rudimental. Don’t even want to consider anything Isuzu or the likes. Or the Navara???aaaaaahhhhhhhhh too many options and not enough knowledge. Can you guys guide me as to what you reckon is the best option please.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

think you’ll struggle on this budget unless you’re going to get your hands oily. have you considered a van? Similarly wipe-clean cabin and rugged load area.

cozz
    Free Member

ranger

def will be rubbish at 3K
    hilux will be old and battered
    navara engine will be about to go bang

br
    Free Member

There isn’t a lot around at sub £3k, just look on ebay/gumtree/autotrader and try and find one locally with 12m MOT.

See my other thread about Double Cabs.

hora
    Free Member

Do not assume TopGear/bombproof hilux’s exist.

Their car wasnt driven for 5, 000 miles inbetween ‘tests’. It was a tv show. ‘Does it start’? Was their goal not run. Cold starts, reliabilty etc.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Ranger seems to be where things keep coming back too, I just cant seem to get excited about them though. Think I need o wait for one to come up local and take it for a drive. Although if I can find a reasonable condition, sub 80k miles L200 I think I might take a punt on it as I just like it a bit better.

Going to set up a watch on ebay and gumtree see what comes up.

There is a 2000 L200 on the bay at the moment with 67k on the clock and new BFG tyres which might just fall into my price bracket. Shame about the hideous graphics but if its a good motor clicky

See my other thread about Double Cabs.

Had a wee read of that, useful thanks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

look at single cabs – they are ~MUCH cheaper ime.

why in gods name would you consider a defender and not an isuzu ?

the isuzu tf is probably your best bet for <3k imo – and thats from a defender(well a ninety) owner and fan

trail_rat
    Free Member

ps – those are not nearly new BFG tires unless the new ones were fitted after the photos – that looks like 4 odd tires – big no no on 4x4s ….

and they all look well worn.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If you like landrovers have one but if you want it to work daily its prob best to avoid 3k ones
    I like my 110 but it only does about 4000 miles a year and still eats
    More parts/money than anything I’ve ever had

I do know a few people who use them for work
    But mostly ones with warranty still

PePPeR

I’m glad someone else stood up for the Isuzu we ran three on our fleet and they were all better than the L200’s and navaras which cost us a fortune in engine repairs…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which pickup for £3k?’ is closed to new replies.