Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which padlock?
  • the_kenburg

Hi
    I’m upgrading my home bike security and wanted the Hive Mind opinion on padlocks. I’m upgrading to a Pragmasis Torc Maxi ground anchor, and while I’m at it adding another chain (probably the 13mm) and lock. I could get the Squire SS50CS padlock or the Roundlock padlock. Interested in your experiences with either. Budget is a little tight, so while I would love to get the 22mm chain with a Squire SS100CS-R1 that isn’t an option.
    I do have insurance through Cycleplan (for what it’s worth) and I think either of these locks will meet their criteria.

ton

i got a pragmasis roundloc bundle with a 22mm chain. wow it is very robust.

Northwind

The roundlock is really clever- much more limited than a padlock in what it can actually lock, but it works superbly with suitable chains. The pin is completely surrounded by the chain so it’s basically uncuttable. Fantastic value. It’s a little fiddlier to fit, though.

The squire is pretty much a benchmark and has been for ages, but it won’t work with 16mm chains, so you’re basically paying a lot for an excellent padlock that can only be used with a probably inferior chain. Doesn’t make sense to me. You need to go up to the 65 I think to get the larger capacity and that’s bloody expensive.

(can you use their d-lock with the 13mm? It’s a nice bit of kit)

If you can possibly stretch to the 16mm chain, the difference between boltcroppable and not is massive. it’s also much more resistant to grinder attacks, being 50% more metal to cut. You might be able to save money on length- people always tend to wrap a loop of chain around bikes, but you can also secure it at one end, pass it through, and then just loop and lock the end around the bike- I had 3 bikes locked to an anchor with a 1m chain.

(you also get more options with the 16mm chain- I have a couple of cheap Onguard Brute d-locks which fit through the chainlinks, so I can lock things through-and-to the chain. The Brute’s underrated because they don’t stand up well to weather, so they always get downmarked for that- and fair enough, but used inside they’re a very cheap, very solid lump of metal

the_kenburg

That’s given me other options to explore. I like the idea of adding a d lock maybe…
    Current chain is 1.4m and just stretches through two frames so I could go a bit shorter than the standard 2m that Pragmasis offer.

rickmeister

Read teh comments from Steve at Pragmasis. Seems the Roundlock is pretty good and upgraded

the_kenburg

So I bit the bullet. I ordered a Torc Maxi ground anchor, the 16mm chain and a roundlock from Pragmasis. That was a weighty box when it turned up!

The ground anchor looks to be a solid bit of kit, but the chain is a level up again. It’s super hefty, and the roundlock is a really good fit for it I think. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I guess the only way I’ll know how good it is will be when some scrote has a go at it.

Good service from Pragmasis as well, which is always a plus.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I had 3 bikes locked to an anchor with a 1m chain.

Blimey, that’s impressive.

I got pissed off with my first two Pragmasis chains being too short. Alas I followed the dude (Steve?) ‘s advice and went for 2m lengths. One 13mm and one 16mm. Pain in the arse.
    Once the kids got decent bikes I ordered a 4m chain and squire padlock. Much better for locking all 4 bikes to the van axle or a hefty tree.

Also bought a 11mm chain too for out and about

dirtyboy

Whilst all this physical security is great, make sure to use alarms/cctv/smoke cloak/trip mines as a good mate of mine relied on big chains/ground anchor etc and they cut the frames to get the bikes.

Multilayered security and low profile is key.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.