Which order ride/run/weights

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which order ride/run/weights
  • mrsfry

In order to get the ‘STW’ body I have signed up for two races. The fist race is May 6K the second is October half marathon.
    I have all the gear eg proper trainers (OMG feels like heaven ) proper weights and my trusty Kona bendy bike. Which order do people exercise in ? I have weight to shift and speed to gain (also need to be able to run more than 10 seconds)

Thank you

FunkyDunc

Run, run, run, then bike, and not weights.

Running is more time efficient than cycling, and IMO running does way more to benefit cycling than cycling does to benefit running

neilwheel

Ride, ride, ride and some Yoga.

Running is only for chasing or being chased.

opusone

I used to be a middlingly serious runner and my advice would be to find places that you like to run and then run in those places as often as you can. Start out running shorter routes, then build up the distance and the speed will follow.

Lots of people go for things like hill sprints or intervals, which I guess have their place but if you don’t enjoy doing them, I wouldn’t bother. I used to do hill sprints because I enjoyed them, but hated intervals so I didn’t do them. I’ve spoken to a lot of people, most of them much better runners than I ever was, who have told me that though they did fartleks, intervals, whatever, they found that simply building up to doing more miles a week was the thing that made a big difference.

I happen to enjoy running uphill off-road, and I’m lucky enough to live somewhere where there’s plenty of that on my doorstep. If it wasn’t for that, I’d never put on my running shoes.

The fist race is May

Don’t envy you training for this…. 😯

mrsfry

Thanks chaps. So i guess large amount of running and everything else just for fun.

May is like miles away so i should be a pro by then 😆

dovebiker

Running is a lot about muscle adaptation, so you need to run a fair bit to get used to it, but it’ll probably hurt a bit at the beginning, so leave time for recovery and rest. The bike can help in terms of cardio-vascular fitness but weights won’t do much, however a regime of stretching and core strength exercises will help immensely.

mrsfry

Thank you. My legs have been burning like mad (running everyday :oops:) think i will give myself two days off a week and use cycling for transport.

Thank you

vickypea

Core strength will help maintain posture and stamina when your legs get tired towards the end of a long run.

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

Instead of weights, consider swimming once a week. It’s very low impact, good for your core and a great calorie burner.

Duffer

To start with, just take it really slowly. My personal mantra is ‘if it feels like hard work, then you’re working too hard’. I just run (slowly) becuase i enjoy it.

You’ll be fine with 6k in may, as long as you put some miles in between now and then. With a bit of training you’ll be able to crack 10 miles without any worry.

Premier Icon grahamt1980
    Subscriber

Sorry but you want to get the stw body?
    Shouldn’t you be eating your body weight in pies and about 10 pints a night!

To answer the actually question, lots of running and riding, wouldn’t worry about the weights unless you have a particular weakness

cheekyboy

Mrs Fry you need BMF !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which order ride/run/weights’ is closed to new replies.