• This topic has 44 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aa.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Which one of these three 'retro' frames would you keep (Ibis/Klein/Land Shark)?
  • psychle
    Free Member

I have to downsize my collection/obsession, just too many bikes/frames/bits etc and with a new/first baby on the way, it just has to be done (plus I need to pay for my new Mojo!). Trouble is, I’m attached to every one of my acquisitions and I really can’t decide which ones to part company with… it’s driving me mental trying to choose which ones go 🙁

So…. thought I’d throw it out to the STW massive for their views (and I know plenty of you are going to say ‘sell ’em all!’ 😆 ).

1994 steel Ibis Mojo

IMG_2360 by ten_sim, on Flickr
    Bought mainly as a ‘retro’ sibling to the Mojo HD. Lovely light frame, cool features like the handjob and roadkill possum decal, plus it’s an Ibis (so fits in with my Bow-ti and carbon Mojo). Have done a couple of rides on this one, ’tis nice.

Land Shark softail

IMG_2440 by ten_sim, on Flickr
    Bought purely on a whim (via a low speculative snipe!) from US Ebay, mainly due to the stunning paintjob! Still haven’t built it up, so no idea what it rides like, but I reckon it will be brilliant (hand made, fillet brazed Reynolds 853, how can it be wrong?). The paint really is a work of art on this frame, check out this Flickr set to see what I mean!

1993 Klein Attitude MC1

file:///mnt/sdcard/download/%24(KGrHqR%2C!jgE1uwFdlo7BNhtI3ouJw~~_12 by ten_sim, on Flickr
    Again, bought on a whim (again for a low speculative snipe); have always loved Kleins since I started riding back in the 90’s when these first came out. Garish paintjob, but I quite like it. Again, haven’t built this up and I’ve never owned or ridden one of these, so have no idea what it’ll be like (stiff and harsh is one thing I’ve heard?).

So, these are the three on the chopping block… can you help me make a decision STW? 😕

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

keep them all….. 😉 if not I’d keep the Klein..

psychle
    Free Member

I really can’t… would love to though!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sell them all. you have a new mojo to ride. Why are you attached to them? Its not like you’ve owned them since new, or had many an epic adventure on them. Thats what your new bikes that are fit for riding are for.

psychle
    Free Member

Why are you attached to them?

Because they’re beautiful and unique/special in some way? Bit like an art collection (to me, anyway 😆 )

leggyblonde
    Free Member

keep the Klein

dazzlingboy

Oh I would sell the Klein – right now. To me!!

Seriously, I would keep it – they are getting rarer and were/are a landmark in the move to aluminium bikes. Even better that Gary Klein has now packed up shop and makes telescopes – you’re not likely to ever see a new Klein again*, whereas Ibis still around.

* unless Trek re-liven it but given the direction they’ve gone with Gary Fisher that seems unlikely.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Klein – ibis still exist, never heard of Land Shark adn soft-tails are crap.

*breathes a sigh of relief* I thought you might be selling the bow-ti, I might have to buy it 😛

Dekerf
    Free Member

Depends on your size really…. are they in a large size??

Keep them all as wall art 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Land Shark is the rarest. I’d keep that.

psychle
    Free Member

The Bow-ti will never be sold if I can help it, love that bike! 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

id struggle to chose betwen the ibis and the klein if it were me. ive never heard of a land shark but im not that up on my retro! on a serious note, let me know if you do sell the ibis or klein, you might kick start my retro fetish!!

psychle
    Free Member

Depends on your size really…. are they in a large size??

All a medium or thereabouts.

Keep them all as wall art

Can’t be done, the cold hard cash (and a serious reduction in the collection to appease my wife!) is needed instead.

aP
    Free Member

Land Shark +1

tang
    Free Member

landshark out of that lot.

piha
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to keep the steel Ibis as it fits in nicely with the HD/Ti Ibi’s, doesn’t it?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Land Shark are seriously retro.

Saying that, I’d keep the Klein.

chakaping
    Free Member

Flog the lot and spend the proceeds on behavioural therapy.

😉

(does the wink make that comment ok?)

zepequeno
    Free Member

Ibis, for the Ibis fleet 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Think of the kids. Spend the money on your new child or biking trips on your new bikes. A waste having those frames/bikes lying around if you cant afford to keep them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d keep the Klein but I’ve always favoured alu bikes. It’s also the one I hankered after when I was a lad. Second would be the ibis, not fussed about the land shark.

yossarian
    Free Member

Keep them and buy a fat chance too

You know I’m right

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Keep the Klein

loddrik
    Free Member

Definitely the Klein.

nuke

Another vote for keeping the Klein

finbar
    Free Member

There’s a chance the Klein will crack by the seatpost if you ride it (judging from the amount of borked ones on Retrobike), so i’d sell that. It should go for mad $$$ as well.

The IBIS is nice but a bit dull.

I’d keep the Landshark.

Duffer
    Free Member

I’d keep the IBIS, as it’ll compliment your newer ones. Plus the other two will probably sell for more.

bland

tell the mrs that they are investments, which they are.

The more folk in their 30’s/early 40’s now who have been there from the start age and get higher incomes the more they will sell for. Its got to be a better investment than an ISA. A bit like classic cars but cheaper and take less space up (but id bet they increase in value over the next 10-20 yrs more than a classic car!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The IBIS is a working bike – so keep it.

Of the other two, I don’t like the Land-Shark but someone will die for that paintjob so it should sell to the right buyer eventually.

Like many others, I’m attracted to the Klein. Which means it could sell very easily for a high price if speed of sale is important.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Why not list all 3 on ebay and then back out of selling the 2 that go for the least money…?

messiah
    Free Member

Ibis if it fits… but even then only if your going to ride it.

Note… for the next couple of years time will be precious, having a retro toy for quick little scoots is no bad thing. I eventually sold mine to fund my Nicolai habit… no regrets.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just sell all the modern crap you’ve bought, and keep those.

Seriously.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’d keep the Klein and I’ve just sold mine!

tommid
    Free Member

Keep the Mojo, sell the other two. The Landshark is ugly… The Klein is fairly common and you’ll be able to buy another in a few years when you can afford it again.

jimc101
    Free Member

I would keep the Ibis, as it (looks to be) fully working.

The Klein should get ok-good money, but the Landshark, who were they? unless you get a couple of collector who really want that ugly thing can’t see it going for much.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The Mojo is nowt special really, just a basic steel framed bike. The Landshark and Klein are far more unique.

Andy

I’d sell them all. Its not that you have history with them other than them being “magpie” items. You have other, more bling bikes eh? Less is more and all that..

charliedontsurf

Keep them all. And ride them too.
    You will never forget the bike but you will soon forget the dirty money.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Keep the Ibis. Flog the other two.

fasthaggis

I really like that Land Shark ,shame it’s picked up so many war wounds.
    So I would keep the Klein .
    That Ibis without the labels ,could be any old thing. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which one of these three 'retro' frames would you keep (Ibis/Klein/Land Shark)?’ is closed to new replies.