Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Which Nikon?
  • Amos
    Free Member

Looking to finaaly get a Digital SLR, I've tried friends Cannons and Nikons and I prefer the nikon but which one? It'll be for general use pics of the family and biking etc. Opinions and recommendations plesae!

stumpy01

What's your budget?

That'll probably be the decided fairly quickly.

I've got a D80 & my mate has got a D60. I think he got his with 18-55 kit lens for £350, which is seriously good value.
    Whenever I have used his camera, the only things that I prefer about my D80 is that is is a bit chunkier & easier to hold – it feels better balanced with a decent telephoto on & you can change things easier on the D80, as most things are available through a button push and twiddle of a jog dial. On the D60, I think you have to delve into the menu a bit more.
    I'm sure that once you are used to it though, it is not that much slower.

Also the D80 has and LCD on the top so you can use that instead of having to fire up the main display. Not sure if that's better or not, just different.

Oh, on the D80 you can choose to record RAW + jpeg at the same time at all levels of compression. With the D60 it's Raw, plus Basic jpeg only.

And the D60 won't work as a master controller for remote flashes. So, if you see yourself getting into flash photgrapy more (using remote flash units) then if you get the D60 you'll have to go for the top of the range Nikon flash or get a separate commander unit.

I'd say if you aren't gonna get crazy serious with the whole photography thing, then the D60 will be great. If you intend to get a bit more creative in the future, then the D90 might be a better bet. (Not so sure about the new D5000).

fontmoss
    Free Member

id say d90 over d5000 but tbh go to a shop and try them out. write down what features youre after and what your budget is, this should clarify things a bit

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just been playing exactly the same game last week.

D60 was in budget, tried handling the D5000 and was immediately solved. Big argument with the missus who went "HOW f…. MUCH on a camera?!?!?". She then went to Jessops and had a fondle, after which I got a phone call saying "get the D5000"…

The only thing I would say is that the kit 18-55 lens goes from wide to really bloody wide. If you can justify the extra they do a 18-105 lens kit that might be overall more useful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Which Nikon?’ is closed to new replies.