Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which hardtail for 1k??
  • Xan
    Free Member

I have a Spesh FSR Comp at the moment but have been thinking over the last week or 2 about buyingh a hardtail as well. The main reason for this is that I have been told Hardtails improve your riding and would like to get one for just using on local trails, and using my FS for longer trips. Would also probably use it for road riding. Would really want to get – Ali frame, Hydraulic breaks, good group set and a gook set of Air forks.

Am I going to be wasting money doing this or is it worth it?

jojoA1
    Free Member

I just got a Cube LTD Race through the Cycle to work scheme (£900 ish though I think they’ve gone up since the start of April.

I’ve really enjoying going back to riding a hardtail as I’ve been fully sussed since not long after starting biking properly. I thought I’d feel like I was being rattled all over the place, but it seems I must have developed some technique by accident 🙂

matt_outandabout

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Boardman

Xan
    Free Member

MO, looks nice and OK spec for price.

Had looked at the Boardman FS before I got me Spesh but the fact that its ia a Halfrauds own make puts me off.

poppa
    Free Member

If you can confidently set up a bike yourself, and know if something needs be fettled, a Boardman is great value. They use the same components as everyone else after all, its just the set up that might be off.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude – I am loving mine..
    Goes uphill (like my previous hardtails).
    Goes downhill without giving you a headache and sore arms (unlike my previous hardtails).

FuzzyWuzzy

Merida Trail 700-D

matt_outandabout

MO, looks nice and OK spec for price.

For that price that spec is fantastic I would say.

bassspine
    Free Member

I just bought a merida matts 900d £999.99 XT, Reba sl froks and spd pedjals. I like it a lot.

james
    Free Member

“OK spec for price”

Easton tubed frame
    ’09 RS Reba Race (upgrade in the drop down box)
    SLX drivetrain/brakes
    Mavic Crossride wheelset
    Raceface finishing gear

For £990? (online)

So what more are you after?

EDIT: Ok, so the merida above has XT .. SLX is mostly very similar anyway

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have just bought a Cube and it’s awesome! Definately worth investing in a HT however it’s weird getting onto one having been riding a FS for the last 3 years, you find yourself hitting those big roots and knarly rocky bits and then realising that your bike won’t just glide over it but that you actually have to pedal and try and control it a bit more.
    You will realise though you can rip it up (if you’re a confident/quick DH on the FS). Went to Afan last weekend on brand new Cube and was flying felt awesome though!!!!!

Oxboy
    Free Member

Its good to have both if you can afford it. I had a hardtail (Orange Crush) first, then 6 months later bought my full suss. Use my hardtail for local trail/road/pub stuff and the full suss for ‘proper’ off roading. Not sure that a hardtail will make you a better rider though??? Full suss makes me faster down the hills!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which hardtail for 1k??’ is closed to new replies.