Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which fork is this?
  • mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

I purchased a batch of stuff a while back with the intention of using some and selling on some bits. Completely forgot that a fork was part of that which I just came across in my garage. Unhelpfully the code on the fork is partially rubbed off, but it doesn’t seem to be in the right format anyway.

Numpty question here but can you help me identify exactly what it is (It’s a Rockshox Reba dual air, but the exact model would be helpful so I can get the right service manual etc)?

Fork 1 Fork 2Fork 3

Also is the damage around the bottom of the steerer a problem, or fine if I sand and give it a sand and a touch of paint?
    Fork 4

swanny853

That looks like one I bought around 2008, although I don’t think mine had v mounts.

thols2

If it were me, I’d just look at different user manuals for Dual Air forks and find one that matches. 2008 is probably a good start, the earlier models had fairly crudely painted graphics, then they changed to the anodized graphics.

sillyoldman

2006 or 2007 Rockshox Reba xC from a Trek who used those blanking plugs and that hose guide.

nixie

There is only 1 number missing from the barcode, won’t take that long to try all the combinations 😆.

I make it 3425144?9

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

I went on the trailhead part of the rockshox website and it wants a serial number in the format “Ex: 16T73323397″… Or am I looking in the wrong place?

PJM1974
    Free Member

The serial number looks to be on the rear of the fork on the right leg just under the dust seal.

Re the finish damage at the rear of the crown, that’s consistent with stone chips but do make sure that any flaky corrosion is removed. Painting is a PITA because you have to mask off the stanchions, remove the dials etc and make sure that the surface is well prepared before priming and painting with suitably durable paints.

nixie

Looking at a similar age fork we have the 16T73323397 number is on the back of the crown where you have all the corrosion.

benpinnick

It could be earlier, it has 04/05 ish graphics. You’ll get no joy from the Trailhead app on forks that old.

thols2

it has 04/05 ish graphics.

I have a Reba Race from 2005. It has white painted graphics. I’m pretty sure the OP’s fork is slightly later. Whether there are any functional differences in the service manuals is a different question.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

The pintrest pic suggests its a 2005, but other pics of 2005 look differnt on the graphics. And thanks on that re Trailhead…

lovewookie

decals would suggest it’s more 2006/07
    see review here: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/forks/suspension-forks/rockshox-reba-race-review-2/

The 2004/05 had solid writing in a different font, and the rockshox logo’s were in colour.

same internals though, pretty much.

Superficial
    Free Member

As for servicing and setup, it’ll be identical to other RS forks of that era. Which is fairly similar to the current ones unless you are ripping the damper apart.

cookeaa

It’s a Reba Race, I have that exact fork on the front of my daughter’s bike, IIRC the 08 Reba manuals seemed about right.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Cheers, I had flicked through the manuals and decided the 05-08 Reba’s must be the right one so thanks for the confirmation. It seems to have quite a nice motion to it, any advice @cookeaa for looking after it. Think I need give it a service and who knows when it was last done! Any ideas on best place to get seals etc.

cookeaa

When I got mine it seemed pretty much knarped, it looked like it had never been maintained, the stanchions are thoroughly worn

The best thing you can do is pull it all apart, clean thoroughly and re-oil. TBH the stanchion wear has little effect on the fork’s performance…

I used 2.5wt to try and speed up the damping a shade for a lighter rider, and you can play endlessly with +/- air spring to adjust sensitivity/ride/sag. It didn’t come the the remote and she’d never be too bothered about playing with compression so I just left it be…

eBay for seals..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which fork is this?’ is closed to new replies.