Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • which bib or liner shorts for long hot days in the saddle (off road)
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have always worn 8 quid cycling shorts jobbies from sports direct etc under my baggies but i’ve noticed that after two to three hours in the saddle i’m getting hotspots/chaffage.

I have a weeks holiday in hotter climbs soon (mtb), all day cycling (6 hours plus) so want to be comfortable.  Budget is around 50 quid a pair, My gooch and thighs thank you in advance

fazzini

Always got on well with dhb bib shorts from Wiggle. Think they are around your budget.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

any particular ones or are they all much the same?  Bibs you think, not shorts?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Are mtb ones or road ones different?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lusso bibs ftw. Have done multi-day midsummer expeds with no probs. Wash/rinse/dry shorts between days if poss, if not then just be meticulous cleaning and drying yr undercarriage.

Maybe raise budget a tad and have a look at their Pro-gel Cooltech bib?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers for the suggestion  will take a look . Road ones are to be avoided for MTB then ?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-is-the-difference-between-road-mtb-bib-shorts/

Always used general/road bib on MTB. Only probs I ever had were choosing a brand that came up shorter than average on shoulder-straps (for my torso-length).

Avoid that sort of error as (if taken as given that ‘opinions are like arseholes) a poor fit of this nature can ‘divide opinion’

cvilla

I think the main thing to get right is fit, i.e. you need to try them on in the LBS and then try them out before you go on your tour/trip and washing is good. Is sad when your favourite pair wear out but your assets let you know when!
    MTBing is maybe less of an issue as you move about more, or like me get off and push;) where as road touring you end up in a limited position on the bike for longer periods. Anyway a good fitting pair is key imho.

rubymurry
    Free Member

I always use Endura FS260 bibs, long, short or bikepacking rides, never had a problem. I think they are road specific but I only ride MTB

mmannerr

For hotter days I prefer liners, there are couple of mfgr’s liner shorts with mesh construction but mine are few years old and almost worn out now.
    I’m looking at Gore liners now, other options include Patagonia, Löffler etc. Craft liners do not seem that great.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers all. perhaps i should just reckon with anything i get will be an upgrade to what i have now (i.e sore knackers)

cddsystems

Believe it or not the road bibs from Decathlon are pretty good.
    I got one last year and it’s very comfortable. There is not a huge amount of padding but what is there is sufficient and do not give you the nappy feel.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Love Lusso stuff! I’ve got a few pairs of their bib shorts now along with loads of other kit. I can get 15% off full price stuff too 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

can you get me 15%? 🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

Certainly 🙂

I’ll PM you.

blitz

Another vote for Lusso. Did a 138 mile charity road ride in them yesterday and they were great again.

avdave2

And another Lusso fan here, I find their carbon bib shorts very good. I also bought some Endura liner bibs which use a mainly mesh panels this week for use under baggies. I gave them a 50 mile test ride today and they seem good though it didn’t exactly get hot enough to see if they were better than standard bibs.

jkomo

I bought some Bontager baggies with a dedicated bib liner. The advantage of getting this combo is theshorts attach to the bibs and stop from slipping, they aren’t tight around the waist, and the bonty bibs were made from a mesh rather than the usual.

dovebiker

The only baggies I’d contemplate wearing in hot weather are Gore Alp-X 2-in-1 – I’ve worn them for 24 hour rides in 30 degree temperatures, otherwise, I’d just wear a regular bib short like our continental cousins do.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘which bib or liner shorts for long hot days in the saddle (off road)’ is closed to new replies.