Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • which axe do i need?
  • rOcKeTdOg

to chop some already chopped logs from my tree surgeon mate to garden fire pit size?

stevied
    Free Member

Chopping or splitting?

If splitting, you can’t beat a Fiskar:

Yak

Splitting – a maul.

Roughneck does the job and is nice and comfy with little shock through the handle.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ah, misunderstood.

As you were.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have one of these; https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/parts-accessories/axes/splitting-axe-s1600/580761301/

Really good axe for splitting.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I have one of these – https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/parts-accessories/axes/splitting-axe—large/576926701/

Great if you’re man enough.

AlexSimon

I was going to recommend Gransfors Bruks, but upon looking I found they’d doubled in price since I got mine 🙁

MartynS

I got a set from screwfix

£25 for a maul, axe and wood granade. Seems to work as I’ve got some split logs..!

lotto
    Free Member

Gransfors  Bruks is the correct answer.

cranberry
    Free Member

The one in the suitcase on the left.

It is my favourite.

Spud

As mentioned already, the Screwfix set does the job nicely, had one a couple of years since we had the woodturner installed. Just the job. Although there is something alluring about the Gransfors Bruks…

peasant
    Free Member

Fiskars  buy once buy well

Rickos
    Free Member

I got a Fiskars X25 for Christmas to split logs. Works a treat and isn’t too heavy to wield about.

neilnevill
    Free Member

What size and what wood? The answer is something from the fiskars X series, worth the extra I over the roughneck stuff if you use it much, more durable and nicer on you.

ernie

Fiskar.  Got an X11 which works great for splitting logs. Well balanced, good head, nice grip.

kormoran
    Free Member

Fiskars xl 27 here, amazing axe. Every time I use it I just laugh at the ease at which it cleaves apart timber that would have defeated every other axe i’ve owned. You won’t need a grenade with one of these.

jimjam
    Free Member

Judging by the OP a maul would be complete overkill, horrible things to use generally. Aldi were selling a splitting axe which looked almost identical to the Fiskars for about £20 so keep an eye out for that. The Fiskars works but I prefer wooden handles. For me the Husqvarna splitting axe is the best compromise between performance and price, it’s infinitely tuneable and recyclable too.

If you want better fit and finish look at the Hults Bruk, or if you want the best get Gransfors Bruks.

Wally

Frisk arms xl25 owner here too. My 75 year old dad loves swinging it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

X27 and an x17 myself (had the roughneck set, didn’t rate the maul so it’s now my brother’s spare, f’in hate the grenade, a roughneck twist wedge is much much much better).
    Split half a cube of Oak this afternoon with the x17. I’d already chunked up the rings weeks ago with the X27, the smaller x17 then works great, although the shorter handle is stiffer so I feel slightly beaten now. Don’t get that with the X27.
    I also have a larger, 8lb stihl maul. It’s a powerful tool but hard work, it gets swung only at the toughest stuff.

kayak23

As mentioned already, the Screwfix set does the job nicely, had one a couple of years since we had the woodturner installed.

kayak23

Can’t figure out how to start text below a picture….so.. I have a couple of Gransfors. A carving and a splitting axe. Beautiful tools but very pricey.

DrP

I’d agree with the ‘fiskars does the job’ sentiment.

For a few years I was “DrP Manly man” and was swinging a mahoosive Roughneck maul thing to smash chunks of wood into smaller chunks.
    It worked as you would expect this process to…

Then I looked at the fiskars website, sized myself up and ordered an X25. It’s much smaller than the maul. It’s a few Kg lighter.
    It’s about 10 times more effective and easier and cleaner to use..!!!

It seems size isn’t all that… Get the right size axe and life is MUCH better. Trust me.. I’m a …lumberjack..

DrP

btbb
    Free Member

Another Fiskars X11 here, works great for me splitting delivered split logs. Don’t forget a chopping block!

grahamt1980

I bought a gransfors splitting axe, its great especially as it has the metal reinforcing around the handle next to the axe head.

It’s a lot neater than the hultafors trail axe i have got,  but it’s mainly finishing so not really needed to spend the extra,  but it is a lovely axe that i suspect i will end up giving to my son and his kids in the future

manton69

The main difference between things like the Roughnect maul and the others mentioned above is the profile of the blade. The cheap mauls have a straight profile whilst the Splitting axes have a curved profile. The curved profile allowed greater initial penetration and then ramp up the splitting pressure as the axe penetrates further.

From teaching both kids and adults to chop logs the Fiskars are an excellent splitting axe. It is by no means my favourite, but it takes a lot of abuse, is very robust and is every efficient. I know a lot of people do not like the plastic handles, but when they get left out for a couple of weeks you soon learn to like them not splitting, swelling or giving you splinters.

Now for the pewrsonal preference then it will always be a Granfors Bruks splitting maul, but the price is eye watering now. So I would get the Fiskars x25 if the logs are going to be big or the Bahco splitting axe with an ash handle if you prefer the wooden handle.

gazc
    Free Member

if there’s a lot (ie: a trees worth) save the hassle and pick up a log splitter second hand. sell on after. the screwfix maul/axe/grenade set works absolutely fine, mine is redundant in the shed after getting my splitter. it cost me 1.5x of those pricey fiskars axes it was a returned stock one. its a doddle to use and saves me aggravating the ganglions in my finger joints, but obviously you lose the lumbersexual points… only use the grenade/maul for the really big stuff that’s a bit too heavy to handle on my own onto the splitter

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

“which axe do i need?”

Surely the only STW answer to this is ‘The biggest one you can lift’. Bearing in mind that having a beard increases your axe lifting ability by at least 10%.

rOcKeTdOg

Bearing in mind that having a beard increases your axe lifting ability by at least 10%.

well that’d be a pretty hefty axe then!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘which axe do i need?’ is closed to new replies.