Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Which area in YOUR country would you not live?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Arctic Circle , not much going on.

retro83
    Free Member

Slough.

Northwind

Aberdeen. All the drawbacks of a proper city and none of the benefits.

binners

Anywhere in the south east outside London. Its all just so bland.

Harry_the_Spider

Anywhere in the south east outside London. Its all just so bland.

Oi! Me and the missus want to retire to East Sussex! However, I did only score 1 out of 8 on the vices thread and that 1 involved you blowing ciggy smoke up my nose.

mudshark
    Free Member

Live in the Surrey Hills, can’t see what’s not to like! Well, some anti-cycling feeling here.

Not much of the East side of the country appeals really – Kent would be OK I think. Parts of North Wales, such as Rhyl, are worth avoiding.

I think I’d most like to be in the Cotswolds but a bit too far from London for comfort really.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Birmingham and to a lesser extent Leeds, all of the bad stuff of a big city but with not enough of the good stuff to make it worthwhile.

bikebouy
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member
    London, all of the bad stuff of a big city but with not enough of the good stuff to make it worthwhile.

FIFY as I live here in the week..

Would NOT want to stay here for the rest of my life and thankfully I’ve already got somewhere in Hampshire to really “live”

London has it’s good bit’s but often getting to them and ejoying them can be a PITA.
    And despite what folks say it’s rubbish for riding around. Most folks get out of the city to ride, not surprisingly the Surrey Hills gets bad press for all the Londoners heading that way at the weekends.. I do feel for folks that live there.
    As for Regents Park, it’s joke waiting to be closed down. Moves ahead for speed bumps and bans for both vehicles and Bikes.. indeed we cause more angst in there than anyone I reckon, it’s a proper bun fight riding around it to the point of other riders jostling and shouting you down for riding in their park.. tossers.
    If you ride slowly and take in some of the views Londons ok, just.

oomidamon

I grew up in Kent, went to Uni in Bradford and have lived in west London, Stafford, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire and I’m now in Wakefield so I feel that I have lived in a fair few places. There’s good and bad everywhere but, of all those places, I wouldn’t live in Cornwall again – to far from reality and Devon is so much nicer.

redstripe
    Free Member

Liskeard

plumber
    Free Member

and miles and miles away from any decent countryside

I used to think that too…….

wonnyj
    Free Member

I live in the proud nation of Cornwall, so wouldn’t want to live in Bodmin, St Blazey or Cambourne.

chrismac

Thats easy. London. I cant stand the place and have no idea what attracts so many people to it

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m another one who suffered verbal and physical racism in Wales for a number of years. I’m in no hurry to go back there.

medders
    Free Member

Bath (snobby and expensive) / Croydon and Sutton (nasty dumps) Bracknell (boring) Slough (boring) Port Talbot (no explanation needed) Liverpool (just thought it was ugly and sh*te).

London? Its ok. There are better and worse places.

Conversely – the best place by far is Bristol. Closely followed by South West Wales.

MrSmith
    Free Member

nowhere above a line drawn from the wash to the bristol channel except Hereford and Worcester then omit places like south Essex, Southampton, Bristol, North kent/Sheppy, Luton, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Ipswich Ashford (Kent), Swindon, Crawley, Croydon and the less salubrious parts of london like Catford, Hackney and the whole of the west around places like Park royal, Wembley, Slough and towards Heathrow.

Andy-R

Colby, although our daughter lives there and she reckons it’s ok.

binners

Thats easy. London. I cant stand the place and have no idea what attracts so many people to it

This

😆

DavidB
    Free Member

Calne

dazh

Oi! Me and the missus want to retire to East Sussex!

That’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever read! 🙂

I’ve already moved to where I want to retire to, not that I’m gloating or anything.

kilo

the Surrey Hills gets bad press for all the Londoners heading that way at the weekends.. I do feel for folks that live there.

Do you feel for all the londoners who’ streets are clogged up by people from the surrey hills driving in to work?

alpin
    Free Member

Berlin….. full of students (who all seem to talk with a mix of their home town accents and some faux Berlinerisch, wa). loads of unemployed. too many drug dealers doing there thing openly on the streets. loads of “alternative” bars and people… so much so that “alternative” is now mainstream.
    sure, there are some nice areas, but they are massively outnumbered by the shitty ones.

Leipzig, Dresden, Cottbus and lots of the former East Germany….
    run down, massive unemployment, a slight Nazi-undertone in some places (lots of fascist political posters around), a funny accent, lots of abandoned buildings and awful soviet architecture. rather depressing at times.
    paradoxically, much of the countryside is beautiful and much of it untouched.

Ruhrpott area…. (area round Duisburg-Essen-Dortmund).
    Just one massive conurbation. it’s hard to tell where one town ends and the next begins. bah!

cheekyget
    Free Member

My area should be the best ….greater London but only 5 miles away from boxhill Dorking ( sorta)…..but the whole area has changed in the last 10years….
    It’s more Eastern European and Asian now

willard

Slough.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Peaslake – swarms of cyclists (are we allowed to use those terms) every weekend.

yeager2004
    Free Member

Bracknell

dazh

Binners do you keep a database of dailymash articles to hand for things like this?

crazy-legs

Widnes / Runcorn.
    My grandparents lived in Widnes and it really is a soul-destroyingly awful shithole with no redeeming features at all. No access to any countryside nearby, totally flat, smelly cos of all the heavy industry nearby and not even really near to anywhere decent either – not without a while in a car to get anywhere – eg to North Wales/Lakes/Peaks for outdoorsy things or Liverpool/Manchester (for “culture” or proper shopping.)

wrecker
    Free Member

Shy of being offered at least £500k p/a I wouldn’t ever consider london.

mooman
    Free Member

Cardiff and most parts of Newport.

richmtb

Scotlands midlands – Hamilton/wishaw/motherwell

Hamilton ain’t that bad especially compared to Coatbridge and Airdrie up the road.

Can’t say I’d be in a rush to move back the the Shire either. Despite spending many nights in my youth in sunny Saltcoats, I wouldn’t relish a return visit.

But yes London, visited plenty of times but can’t imagine ever living there

bikebouy
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Shy of being offered at least £500k p/a I wouldn’t ever consider london.

That’s not enough for me to stay here 😆

edhornby

I agree with wrecker on London, you need a massive wage, that’s the price to go because you need to do it properly or not bother

Nipper99
    Free Member

Dowlais Top, Neath or Port Talbot near to home, anywhere in England other than Cumbria, Scotland’s nice to visit but never ever had even an inkling on wanting to live there.

peterfile
    Free Member

Despite spending many nights in my youth in sunny Saltcoats, I wouldn’t relish a return visit.

Not unless they reopen Metro 🙂

benw
    Free Member

Bacup

stgeorge

omit places like south Essex, Southampton, Bristol

Wondering why you don’t like Bristol

stgeorge

Swindon, East Coast flatlands, Liverpool, Birmingham

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Anywhere with a high proportion of BMWs, Audi A4s and above or Range Rovers.

ThePinkster

Wild horses wouldn’t drag me back to Birmingham, or London. Life’s so much nicer living slightly further north and anywhere worth visiting is much easier to get to.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Which area in YOUR country would you not live?’ is closed to new replies.