• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DeeW.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • which 29er wheels
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

hi I’ve narrowed it down to these 2 , which would suit a trail rider on a hightower lt , (uk trails with 2-3 alps single track )

dt swiss xm1501 30mm or hunt trail wide ? thanks

bowglie

I have some XM1501 30’s on a Spesh Enduro 29 and have been really impressed with them. Great for really whizzing over rocky terrain – stiff for changing direction quickly, but not harsh. The freehub is super easy to service too (not they need much attention).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I can’t get past stans MK3 flows on hopes tbh. I’ve been really impressed by the mk3s after 4 years on carbons.

hatter

Spline 1’s are a completely different level quality wise to the Hunts, hence the fairly hefty price difference, but if you can afford them…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

You dont say what hubs?I’ve got ex1501 on 240 hubs and they are the utter shizznit.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’d consider Hope Pro 4’s with your rim of choice. Bombproof quality with legendary warranty.

mariner
    Free Member

DT Swiss no brainer.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Love my dts. Super reliable. Really lovely ride.

rickon
    Free Member

You dont say what hubs?I’ve got ex1501 on 240 hubs and they are the utter shizznit.

EX1501 is the wheelset name, all the hubs are 240s, branded as Spline 1. The rim is EX471.

I built the same last set year, and a few sets of Hope Pro4s on Stans Arch MK3.

The DT EX471 is by far a stiffer rim, whether or not that’s a good thing is up to you. It feels carbon stiff to me, very direct feeling.

The Stans rim is more forgiving, and a touch lighter.

If you’re building yourself, and you’re not experienced – then I’d go DT, as Stans rims need a careful hand with spoke tension.

With such good alu rims around, I don’t see the point of carbon anymore.

hatter

The 25 mm EX1501’s are the Enduro version of the Spline 1 and use the EX471 and EX511 depending on rim width.

The XM1501’s are the lighter ‘Trail’ version and use the XM481 rim in 30mm and the XM421 in 25 mm. They actaully compete pretty competitively with budget carbin weight wise, about the same as SC reserves for the same spec.

The EX’s are mega tough but not quite as comfy for long distances and a bit heavier. Most people will be fine with the XM’s, I know a few who run EX on the back and XM on the front to save weight.

jeffl

This month’s MBUK has a 29er wheel test. Hunts come out as best value, DT Swiss are overall winners. Quick photo of review below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BFc3tj2cpj5apV9g6

pothead
    Free Member

Ridge Components
    Not used them but I know several people who have and I’ve not heard a bad word about them so far( 5 out of 5 in mbuk review ). They were doing Hope pro4 builds for £ 699 before Christmas and have offers on their Instagram page now and again, defo worth a look

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Dt swiss with the 240 hubs is a winner for me.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ah yes thats right they all have 240 hubs. Mine are 30mm internal though so not ex471s as far as i’m aware. The whole package is lighter than stans on hope, of that i’m certain. Wheel packages from the factory from DT have always been a little lighter than the sum of the parts if bought separately as well.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have the dt swiss xm1501 30mm and they have been faultless. A great wheel set.

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

DT Swiss every time. Although a little different, I’ve got a set of XR1501’s and a set of carbon XR1350’s for the full sus and a pair of Specialized Roval (DT Swiss in disguise) for the hardtail and they’ve all been spot on. I’ve had the Hope/Stan’s combo before and they were a nightmare as I had to true them after every ride and I’m not particularly hard on my gear.

DeeW
    Free Member

I went with a custom build: DT 350 hubs (very similar to 240s but a fair bit cheaper), xm481 front and ex511 rear. Lovely wheels: very strong rims and super reliable hubs.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘which 29er wheels’ is closed to new replies.