Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which 12 string acoustic under £500
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

Looking at faiths sigma and seagulls

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Want resonance and balance not all toppy and spangly…

Solid top ideally

timdrayton
    Free Member

Oh and used price btw

Edukator
    Free Member

Thoughts: try before you buy.

I don’t own one because they’re really hard work. I normally play electric, occasional acoustic with light strings and my attempts at 12 string are just a mixture of buzzy and muted strings. I completely lose my touch and all interest after a few minutes. At a guess you have to press two and a half times as hard on an acoustic 12 string as an 8-42 strung electric.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Why on do ye want a 12 string?

timdrayton
    Free Member

I learnt on one.

Weird but i always had a cheap yamaha 12 as a lad

Ive got a lovely faith mini jumbo spruce top and a sigma mahogany parlour for nick drakey stuff

And i just fancy one again…

ajantom

I’d say have a look second hand (though make it a good look, as older 12 strings are often fubared due to dodgy tensioning).

People often like the idea of 12s, but can’t hack it, so trade them in for a 6 or an electric. So have a look in any good local guitar shops.

I have 2….first is a Takamine big bodied 12. Probably late 70’s from the serial number. Huge, warm sound, lovely action, and has done me sterling service for nearly 20 years now. Cost me £150 (I think? Was a long time ago!)

Second is a Washburn Monterey Custom Studio. Bought a couple of years ago from Manson’s in Exeter for £200. They’re a great shop, so serviced and set it up or me for free.
    It’s an early-mid 80s guitar, but immaculate. Beautiful dark wood and an ebony fretboard. A bit more jangly than the Take, but it sounds absolutely beautiful!

CountZero

Why on do ye want a 12 string?

Possibly because a 12-string sounds distinctly different to a 6-string?
    Just a wild stab in the dark…

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Even more than a bike: try before you buy! Not least because each instrument of a given model will be subtly different in feel and sound. Second hand is great for guitars as it takes a decade or so for the grain to open

And pay a luthier or guitar tech to set it up properly for you. If you’re near Manchester you could do worse than using Chris Spencer, if he’s not currently on tour with Johnny Marr, Niall Rogers or the like…

jca

I like to practice on my 12 string yamaha acoustic…it was cheap, is hard to play, and is the best way I’ve found of building finger strength.

mattyfez

I love 12ers but my god, what a nightmare to tune.

Get one that comes with a free roadie 😉

mattyfez

I don’t own one because they’re really hard work. I normally play electric, occasional acoustic with light strings and my attempts at 12 string are just a mixture of buzzy and muted strings. I completely lose my touch and all interest after a few minutes. At a guess you have to press two and a half times as hard on an acoustic 12 string as an 8-42 strung electric.

Not nessesarily the case, I had a tanglewood 12 string… Easy to play apart from a wide feeling fret board but It’s a different style of playing, open chords and open tunings are your friend here.

It’s just the constant tuning adjustments across 12 strings to keep it all sounding together I got sick of pretty quickly. Maybe that was just that particular guitar..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which 12 string acoustic under £500’ is closed to new replies.