Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which 10 Speed Cassettes have Separate Sprockets? (for use with 40t Expander)
  • phil258
    Free Member

Evening all

I’m looking for a 10-speed (ideally 11-36) cassette – Shimano, SRAM or Sunrace – that has several individual sprockets (e.g. the 11T through to say, the 24T) enabling one to be removed so that a 40t expander ring can be used.

Unfortunately, it’s not that clear from product specs. which models have several individual sprockets and which have several sprockets attached to a carrier. I’m assuming it’s generally the higher-end models, e.g. XT up?

So, which 10-speed Shimano, SRAM or Sunrace cassette models do you know (from use/experience) to have several individual (removeable) sprockets?

Thanks!

johnnystorm

Is this just because you have an expander going spare or you only want an 11-40 rather than 42+ on the back?

If you just want an 11-40 Sunrace do one, Surly fitted it to the original Bridge Clubs.

5lab

shimano do a 11-42 10-speed cassette too.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Its just XT and XTR that have the separate smaller sprockets enabling you to remove two and add the common 17t one in there

phil258
    Free Member

Yeah, got a ‘new’ Hope 40t expander going spare that I want to make use of along with other 10sp kit…

welshfarmer

I always used Shimano XT 11-36 ones and a 16 tooth to replace the 15 & 17 cog. I still run one on my spare bike 🙂

phil258
    Free Member

Yeah, same here @welshfarmer 👍🏻 – in fact, it’s an XT 11-36 that I’ve removed! Sadly, XT are a little rare @ the mo. 😔

Anyone know what the SRAM / Sunrace equivalents are, that have individual removable sprockets?

TIA

dc1988

I used to run SRAM cassettes as they had loose cogs but I can’t remember the model now.

You might be able to get a ZTTO 10 speed cassette that has the gearing you want for much less than one that needs butchering. I’ve got Deore 11-42 and an 11-46 10 speed as I found them easier than having to use the expander ring.

fossy

SRAM’s have just the 3 biggest sprockets on a fixed spider, the rest are loose. PG1050 and PG1070 on 10 speed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which 10 Speed Cassettes have Separate Sprockets? (for use with 40t Expander)’ is closed to new replies.