• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 14,001 through 14,040 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • ElShalimo

Nothing to say other than thanks to TiRed and the other science contributers

And I want to be post 14000!

Edit: beaten by Frank…. garrrh

vinnyeh

So whats the betting on a Leicester lockdown?

From the Times:

The government is preparing to impose the first local lockdown within days following a surge in coronavirus cases in Leicester, according to senior government sources.

Never learn, will they.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Never learn, will they

The management of this pandemic in the uk is bordering on negligence now..

As you say, have they learned absolutely nothing about getting on top of any outbreaks quickly..

kelvin

They have no chance of having successful “local lockdowns” now anyway. People will just leave the city to go and stay with friends and families in lower risk rural areas, if they can. You know, to have emergency child care close at hand… to do what is instinctively the best thing for their family. I don’t think the government will even try… it’ll just be a matter of concentrating trace/trace/isolate measures on areas with outbreaks… but even then… if you think you or your wife have it, or have been in contact with a work mate who has… do you cooperate with T/T/I measures and stay at home… or do a runner? One of the mugs who follow the rules out of civic duty, or a smart maverick who uses their common sense to do what they think is best?

martinhutch

The management of this pandemic in the uk is bordering on negligence now..

As you say, have they learned absolutely nothing about getting on top of any outbreaks quickly..

We’ll see what, if anything, they have up their sleeves in the next two weeks. This is the crux moment for test and trace locally. They’ve had four months to prepare for it. Let’s find out if they’ve done their homework.

matt_outandabout

Never learn, will they

The thing is, it’s not just the politicians.

We as a society are independent minded, for years we’ve not felt (or been encouraged towards) a ‘we’ for the greater good. We’re cutting ourselves off from from our friends, colleagues and allies across the channel. Inequality grows – and many of us don’t care.

We’re selfish.

So to now expect that we as citizens can now put others first is a tall ask – and we’re not even being asked that well.

Edit: we also don’t have that societal respect for rule of law, as so many other European nations do…

kelvin

We’re selfish.

A bit pessimistic… most Brits have made sacrifices this year, knowing that there is little risk to themselves but that we all had to make changes to protect others. However, the government applauding selfish behaviour (Cummings) has undermined this immeasurably when it comes to making sacrifices over the rest of this year. What politicians say and do is key here, blaming the public is misdirection, I feel.

TiRed

There is a localised hotspot In the West Midlands focused on Leicester and Daventry. I’m not convinced about local lockdown. But monitoring closely and concentration of TTI resources seems reasonable.

Off to look at the data more closely.

anagallis_arvensis

Off to look at the data more closely

You might want to check your compass too!!! 😁😁😁

MoreCashThanDash

There is a localised hotspot In the West Midlands focused on Leicester and Daventry

East Midlands! How can I trust any of your expert knowledge now🤦‍♂️

The vast majority of the population have done the “right thing”, but that majority has been worn away in recent weeks. Strava suggests I’m the last person still doing solo rides.

The Leicester thing is interesting. Reports suggest the positive tests are in the poorer, more densely populated part of the city, which have higher BAME population, and I’m going out on a limb, a higher population in more physical close contact factory work.

Two weeks ago I mentioned seeing a group of 12 club riders all totally ignoring social distancing at a cafe. The cafe is a popular run for clubs out if Leicester. What I didn’t mention was that the club exists to promote cycling among the BAME community. This was the week the report into higher BAME deaths was in the news.

Kryton57

Strava suggests I’m the last person still doing solo rides.

No you aren’t…

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s worrying if it’s spiking now, doesn’t bode well for next week when the pubs, restaurants and hair dressers kick off. Seems to be what’s caused the resurgence in the US.

jam-bo

There is a localised hotspot In the West Midlands focused on Leicester and Daventry.

Is that close to Durdle door? Aren’t we expecting a spike from there soon. 😉

TiRed

East :p

kimbers

The Leicester thing is interesting. Reports suggest the positive tests are in the poorer, more densely populated part of the city, which have higher BAME population, and I’m going out on a limb, a higher population in more physical close contact factory work.

Apparently 2 outbreaks there associated with meat processing factories

Which seem to be very common places for outbreaks

anagallis_arvensis

Jesus, put a safety net around Melton Mowbray now!!

Northwind

matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

We’re selfish.

On the whole, aye. But we can be led or inspired or bullied or guilted into acting in a less selfish way. Or in this case, we could also be helped to understand that what seems selfish today is self-harm next week.

But instead we’ve been led into acting in more selfish ways, and the government has decided to act in ways that have made people who followed the rules feel stupid and ignored and disrespected.

MoreCashThanDash

Jesus, put a safety net around Melton Mowbray now!!

Good point. This pandemic has just got serious!

molgrips
    Free Member

We’re selfish.

Most of us aren’t. Most people have complied and most people support the measures being taken, according to polls.

BadlyWiredDog

Just for anyone who thinks that being fit and healthy and even young means that covid-19 will be ‘like a mild flu’, here’s an excellent piece from the Guardian about long-haul covid-19, which I and several others on here are still suffering from – 16th week of it in my case. The idea that if you don’t get hospitalised, all will be fine is bobbins for a lot of people. Most long-haulers actually have a relatively mild experience of covid, it’s the aftermath that’s horrendous. Thanks Boris.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/28/coronavirus-long-haulers-infectious-disease-testing

Bunnyhop

I think its the people with the common sense that are still being careful, staying 2m apart, wearing masks in public places and knowing there is still a risk of catching this awful virus.
    At first I was against mask wearing because of the general public not being used to them and constantly touching the mask near the mouth and nose. However the public are getting better at wearing one and wearing it correctly.

I for one will not be going to the hairdressers or pub. Am shopping locally in independent stores which are all geared up to safely serving the customer and looking after their staff.

Oh and one thing that’s getting on my nerves is people thinking the 2m distancing is over on 4th July. It is still 2 metres going down to 1m plus if this is not possible.

cheburashka
    Free Member

And other mitigation where 2m isn’t possible.

MoreCashThanDash

It is still 2 metres going down to 1m plus if this is not possible.

How much blame attaches to the media for dumbing down the garbled messages that are being put out by the government? Very disappointed that large chunks of all media have picked the sexy headline rather than gone for clarifying the real important messages

binners

Its been similar in the North West, where you’ve had clusters in areas like Rochdale and Blackburn. Apparently it’s a combination of large multi-generational households in densely populated areas where some members are in jobs with the highest risk of exposure to coronavirus

Kryton57

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-cheers-210m-expected-to-be-spent-in-english-pubs-this-weekend-12017408

Sigh.

They have no chance of having successful “local lockdowns” now anyway. People will just leave the city to go and stay with friends and families in lower risk rural areas, if they can.

And this – the entire West Midland knows this now, so will a virus filled mini population off they go across the country to escape a lockdown.  FFS.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just found part of my local loop closed. It has been pretty busy so I’ve only been there early or on days with poor weather (and not stopping, just riding through). Its a little pond, but popular with families and wild swimmers. There was often a mountain of rubbish by the bin. Reading the reasons (on another sign I didn’t photgraph) I suspect people are using the woods as a toilet too. Shame for some to spoil it for the rest

kelvin

And other mitigation where 2m isn’t possible.

Mitigation isn’t the headline. 2m isn’t the headline. Hell, 1m “plus” isn’t the headline.

The signal is that social distancing is over… but plausible deniability is maintained… it’ll be the fault of the public if they are foolish enough to do what they were signalled to do.

I’d take a genuinely Conservative government over this Cummings one any day… government and governance is in the hands of a sociopath.

DrJ

I suspect people are using the woods as a toilet too. Shame for some to spoil it for the rest

It is, but it’s also a shame that people are encouraged to go out when the facilities needed are not available.

nickjb
    Free Member

It is, but it’s also a shame that people are encouraged to go out when the facilities needed are not available.

Absolutely agree that the management of the pandemic has been totally shambolic and a big part of the blame for general bad behaviour rests on the government’s shoulders. That said in this instance there never have been any facilities anywhere nearby. Normally it is somewhere to go for an hour or two but I think people have been using it as a day out in the absence of being able to go to the beach.

slowoldman

I can go all day without needing a shit. I honestly can’t remember the last time I needed to use the facilities (natural or artificial) whilst out on a walk or bike ride.

kelvin

I know the government stopped comparing the “success” of its response to what has been happening in other countries… but we shouldn’t…

tpbiker
    Free Member

5 cases for Scotland today apparently, no deaths in 4 days. I’m not seeing lots of idiots flaunting the rules in scotland and I put this very much down to the messaging from the Scottish government. The contrast between how they have handled it compared to Westminster is stark.

Got to say wee nic has been hugely impressive thoughout this whole episode. I reckon she’s done more for the independence cause in last 3 month’s than the snp have done in the previous 6 years!

MoreCashThanDash

Got to say wee nic has been hugely impressive thoughout this whole episode. I reckon she’s done more for the independence cause in last 3 month’s than the snp have done in the previous 6 years!

If she achieved independence from a Cummings led England, I’d try and emigrate. Dumfries and Galloway appeals

Edukator
    Free Member

I can go all day without needing a shit. I honestly can’t remember the last time I needed to use the facilities (natural or artificial) whilst out on a walk or bike ride.

Lucky you, don’t judge others’ needs by your own. I was a little irritated to find the public toilets on one of my regualar cycling routes closed due to Covid. They’d turned off the public tap too which when it’s over 30°C and there isn’t another for over an hour forces walkers/cyclists to knock on doors and make contact with people to beg for water.

tpbiker
    Free Member

They’d turned off the public tap too which when it’s over 30°C and there isn’t another for over an hour forces walkers/cyclists to knock on doors and make contact with people to beg for water.

Or here is an idea. Only go as far as you have water to sustain you. No one is forcing you to go out cycling or walking for huge distances.

If some nugget chapped on my door in the midst of this pandemic asking for water as they had gone out on an adventure and hadn’t planned ahead, I’d be very tempted to tell them where to go..

As for switching off water fountains and taps for general usage…not exactly rocket science why they’d do that is it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Shops and schools closed in Leicester, sounds far too decisive for Boris, more likely local councillors and alike.

The big question is… Will they now close the city limit roads?

Edukator
    Free Member

As for switching off water fountains and taps for general usage…not exactly rocket science why they’d do that is it.

Do tell. The water isn’t a problem and using a tap with aseptic technique isn’t rocket science either.

No-one is stopping me going out and cycling or walking huge distances either, not even over the borders.

I was kindly asvised where to go: the cemetry where the tap was still working. So the local authorities are happy to provide water for the dead but not the living. The toilets in the public library are open, in the swimming pool.

There are inconsistencies everywhere in Covid decisions and if you shut toilets where people are used to using them don’t expect them to be able to wait until the next one.

scotroutes

the local authorities are happy to provide water for the dead but not the living

The dead don’t tend to suffer from coronaviruses.

kimbers

The pubs in towns bordering Leicester are going to be very busy this coming crazy Saturday

Viewing 40 posts - 14,001 through 14,040 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.