Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where to ride within 2 hours drive of Edinburgh?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

What with the good weather forecast for the weekend (touch wood..) , girlfriend and I are happy to travel a little further than normal to get some riding in.

2hours top driving I reckon (unless it’s really really good).

Flowy trails rather than slow techy stuff.

Jumps = good.

Did Golspie and Laggan last weekend, so would rather somewhere else.

Have ridden Inners and Tress way too much.

Drumlanrig? (just rooty stuff isn’t it?)

Mabie, Ae? Kirroughtree is a little far I think.

Any thoughts?

Ta, Duane.

br
    Free Member

Go natural, Pentlands/Trossachs etc?

Duane…
    Free Member

We’re lazy and would rather ride a signposted trail 😛

Northwind

Carron Valley’s a bit crap in many ways but it does have wikkid awesum jumps, and some really nice singletrack.

But Drumlanrig is a bit special, it’s not just roots though they play a big part. There’s a little slow tech but mainly it just flows like a river. Fantastic.

Is Kielder 2 hours? It gets slagged sometimes but the Deadwater trails are excellent IMO and have a fair amount of wheels-off-ground.

bigjim

Drumlanrig is superb if you must have the trails laid out for you.

Garry_Lager

Kirroughtree is about 2 1/2 hours from Edinburgh and is an OK trip if you can split the driving. You can do Krtree in the morning, have some lunch, then do Mabie (say) and back to Edinburgh.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Falkland hill.do a youtube search and watch the video.its bloody brilliant!

kennyp
    Free Member

If you really do need signposts then, as the others say, Drumlanrig is a great choice.

Duane…
    Free Member

Have ridden Falkland a couple times, but not sure how much fun my gf would have there.

Duane…
    Free Member

What’s the status of Ae, Mabie etc? Heard there’s lots of trees down lately? They cleared up?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try a bit of map readig / route findin – ther eis some great stuff out there for you that is not waymarked trails but does not involve difficult navigation

br
    Free Member

We’re lazy and would rather ride a signposted trail

Which I guess is why you’ve:

Have ridden Inners and Tress way too much.

geoffj

Dalbeattie & Mabie or Aviemore (just over 2 hrs and no signposts, but worth it )

debaser

Drumlanrig is wonderful. Reminds me of being a kid in the woods on my Raleigh Mustang. Well worth a visit. Great cafe, bike shop and showers too.

Ae might be worth a go if you like your wheels off the ground. The Shredder and Omega Man are great fun with plenty of jumps and the downhill track is good too.

You could make it to Kielder or Newcastleton in around two hours I reckon. Either that or there’s the trails at Comrie croft near Crieff, never been but I’ve heard they’re good.

stanfree
    Free Member

Drumlanrig or do the natural stuff round the Borders (3 Brethern and Gypsy Glen).

mr_stru

Newcastleton? The trails there were the bit me and a mate doing the Keilder 100 the other year enjoyed the most and if they’re fun half way through that…

pottsathome
    Free Member

Am lucky enough to stay at drumlanrig and it’s running lovely just now. Mabie is good the now very dry and fast think it should be just about all open this weekend as well.

druidh
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Dalbeattie & Mabie or Aviemore (just over 2 hrs and no signposts, but worth it )

Aviemore is way further than 2 hours (at my speed) but can be worth it. I think (TBC)Mark and I are gonna head there next Tuesday.

GW
    Free Member

Duane, Here? really? WTF were you thinking? 🙄

😆

Duane…
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride within 2 hours drive of Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.