Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Where to buy an AT95E stylus
  • oldnick

As the title says, where to buy (online) an Audio Technica AT95E stylus?

There seem to be some at about £10 which seems too cheap to be genuine, and some at £22-25 from more reputable sellers.

Amazon has them at £22 but the seller is LHN Superstore, which sells everything from electronics to condoms! But it would be quick delivery…

Where does the hive mind suggest?

bassmandan

Last cartridge I bought from Analogue Seduction. Bonus points for it showing up on the card statement (next to Five Guys and Dirty Dicks) as ANAL SEDUCTION.

Looks like the stylus you want is £30 there though.

oldnick

That woke the dog up when I LOL’d!

doom_mountain

Juno has them for £25 delivered. I’ve bought records and stylus(s) from them in the past. Delivery is always good and well packaged.

oldnick

Cheers @doom_mountain, good to have a real life recommendation.

Ordered and eagerly awaited, I’m just wondering what the hell happened to the old one. You know those birds that nest in a horribly salty lake and get crusty lumps accumulating on their legs? It looked like that around the end, when I touched it with a cleaning brush the tip fell off 😳

Hopefully it will also cure the muffled midrange that’s been evident since it all came out of storage.

CountZero

You know those birds that nest in a horribly salty lake and get crusty lumps accumulating on their legs? It looked like that around the end, when I touched it with a cleaning brush the tip fell off

That’s entirely due to dust and accumulation of microscopic crud settling in the grooves over many years, and being scraped out by the stylus. You’re talking about tolerances of tiny fractions of a millimetre, so it’s imperative that albums are kept as clean as possible, to the point of being OCD about it.

The above photo is about x2000, so it’s obvious just how little the amount of dust needs to be to start accumulating around the stylus tip. Washing the discs with distilled water then using isopropanol with microfibre cloths is one option, along with carbon fibre brushes used every time an album is placed on the turntable – that’s what I used to use, along with a proper stylus creating brush.

prettygreenparrot

@countzero great image. That and your explanation of the need for diligent cleanliness for good playback are the reason I gave up on vinyl about 30 years ago. Too much trouble for the quality.

darthpunk
    Free Member

If it’s just th estylus and not the whole cartridge, then here from the Flea_bay seems to be a tenner, UK seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/16032708432?iid=185268383245

oldnick

@CountZero – nice pic 🙂 Carbon fibre brush, stylus brush, microfibre cloth – check! It had never occurred before (the stylus gets a tickle with IPA every now and again), but this was after a long period of storage. Plus I can’t think that accumulated dust would structurally weaken it.

LPs were kept in plastic lined inner sleeves in sealed cardboard boxes whilst in storage, and in a glass door fronted cabinet before that, they do get cosseted.

I don’t know why really, lots of the music is utter shite to 30+ years older me!

@darthpunk
    , I’m just afraid that at £10 it might not be genuine, and might end damaging my relics, sorry records.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.