Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where for first ride trip to USA?
  • Blurboy
    Free Member

Looking to go to the USA for a weeks riding; mates 50th birthday. Into XC and have ridden Bulbion and Sierra Espuna and normally ride Woburn. Looking to take our own bikes. Recommendations please for a first trip to the USA?

metalheart
    Free Member

Colorado. Been twice, loved it. Crested Butte is one of my favourite places ever (and where I had my best day on a bike) so that makes me biased. You can squeeze in a trip to Moab in Utah too, ride Slickrock and Porcupine Rim.

Lots of other places in Co too.

hh45
    Free Member

Moab is pretty good, well set up for bikes, lots of bike shops offering uplifts, nice small town with two breweries and several good places to hang out at night. Porcupine Rim was one of my best ever days on a bike. Its a good 7-8 hours drive from Denver though so closer places may appeal.

Fruita is OK and about 5 hours from Denver sort of en route to Moab and worth a day or two. When skiing in Vail I was assured by locald that the riding was as good as the skiing and my guess is that Colorado is stuffed with great pleaces to rise. Durango is another, The Leadville 100 etc etc.

sambob
    Free Member

Downieville looks incredible, as does Oregon.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Oakridge in Oregon is pretty good for near natural trails. Look up the Alpine Trail and Waldo Lake on YouTube. Have a look at the riding around Mt Hood and Bend in Oregon too. Everything is low key, no lifts. But awesome trail networks. Oh, don’t forget the hot springs too.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Quite fancy the Denver route in – got friends 3 hours north of there in Wyoming and I know the Jackson Hole / Yellowstone area as a tourist. Good bike shop in Denver as well. Any advice on which companies to go with or has everyone traveled independently?

Harris
    Free Member

South Tahoe is beautiful and the riding is fantastic. I recommend a hire car/van to get the most out of the area.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My best ride in the world was Monarch crest outside Salida. But if it’s a week or so of riding C.Butte and Moab are just the ticket. Downieville/Tahoe are also cool. As is Fruita, but Colorado is your answer!

metalheart
    Free Member

I would have been with Western Spirit (if I hadn’t fallen off in the motel car park and dislocated my finger and ended up in the OR to get reseated, phew). My mate has done at least 4 trips with them and raves about them. They are based in Moab but cover CO and other places too (see trip finder in the link). They do a CB trip…

A guided trip, while pricey, gets you to the best places in the shortest space of time. Might as well go the whole hog! 😀

I also fancy Sun Valley in Idaho. Looks phenomenal.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for Colorado. We were “self guided” (actually an ex-pat riding buddy who lives in Boulder hosted us). Not sure you need a guide in CB, the trails are waymarked and established enough to feature in cheap guide books.

winter park worth a trip too. The DH courses are shallower grade and more flowing and natural then alps stuff (less vertical drop so they have to work it, feels more like a downhill XC route), and some cool XC routes in the valley (we did a long one that ends in WP that is used for an annual race, cant recall name at the mo).

Whats that, pictures you say? 😀

WP

Monarch crest continental divide (munqe chick in there somewhere!)

403 trail, CB (local guide buddy consults guide book….)

cottonwood pass, driving to CB

cynic-al
    Free Member

Def Colorado, Crusty Butt is ace, Moab worth taking in too if you have the time – and TBH IMO 1 week is a silly time to go to the US when you factor in costs, travel time and jetlag, I wouldn’t do less than 2.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Love the photos and Colorado looks cool. I have been to Boulder before. Cynic-al Just for the record I would love to go for more than a week but don’t get that much vacation unfortunately. (I have in the past gone to the USA for a one day meeting – still worth it although my company was paying!)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where for first ride trip to USA?’ is closed to new replies.