Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where and who with in Southern Spain for mad people….
  • wheelz
    Free Member

I've got to organise a few days mountain biking in Southern Spain for some mad people.

All of them are involved in two-wheeled motorsport and have no understanding of fear, nor do they have any sense of self preservation.

Most of them are pretty good at the downhill bits and, while they're fit enough to do the uphills much faster than me, it invariably leads to whinging on their part once they've got bored with taking the p*ss out of me.

So, who would you recommend for a trip to Southern Spain where pedalling uphill is kept to a minimum, the downhill is challenging but not too full-on scary and the accommodation is close to at least one drinking establishment (none of them drink once the season has started – this is for me).

We'd be looking to go around 22 March for three days or so.

flamejob
    Free Member

No doubt. Switch-backsDH

I live here and pay toride with them when there is space in the van. You can't go wrong if several World Cup guys ride with them (and some more are using thier trails now too)

GavinB

+1 for SwitchbacksDH

wheelz
    Free Member

Right, it looks like Switchbacks DH is favourite. Not sure I'm up for full-on Downhilling, but I've been out voted.

I guess I might get to take advantage of my medical insurance this year 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

I wouldn't call it full on DH; I mean if you're in a group with All Mountain people then that is what trails you'll be aimed at.

Last weekend I was riding with a bunch of blokes from Newcastle who were on 6" bikes and they had a whale of a time.

PS check out some hedcam vids, though they aren't even a quarter as good as being there:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81t-_xRmTF0&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MUsZnsPOow

If you need any 'local' knowledge give me a shout. 😉

GavinB

Not sure if Michael would describe it as 'full on DH' either.

I asked him about this, as some of our group were not into doing huge drops/gaps etc, and he described it more as an uplift service with guiding, and there was no day when we were there, that you had to have a DH bike, but it definitely helped. The trails are just superb, and there are plenty of opportunities to scare yourself silly on a daily basis!

chakaping
    Free Member

Are they your headcam vids Flamejob?

Looks like a fisheye lens. I really like how you get loads of peripheral vision anyway, gives a much better impression of being there than most vids.

flamejob
    Free Member
    Bream
    Free Member

Can't go wrong with Michael and Switch-BackDH, see my write up HERE. Planning on going back as soon as possible, or when my new frame eventually turns up 🙁

Love the place 8)

GlennG
    Free Member

Never done the Switch backs DH thing but have been out to Bubion for the XC/AM 6 times with Switch-backs and love it, cant get enough of the place, Mike, Isobel, Robin, Lucky, etc are such good hosts and guides although Luckies driving is a bit nerve wrecking, booking a week of DHing in Malaga with Switch-backs in November and cant bloody wait, it looks so good.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where and who with in Southern Spain for mad people….’ is closed to new replies.