• This topic has 118 replies, 108 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • When was the last time you fell off?
  • hamishthecat
    Free Member

Most recent was an off at speed on a small wooden bridge just before the Les Gets bike park bit on PPDS. Was on the Sunday afternoon during the rain and I hit it at much too sharp an angle and the front wheel just shot out. I still have a very enlarged knuckle and find it painful to hold a pen for long. Not that I need to these days.

Before that was the finish of Bikefest on that blasted jump. Grade 2 shoulder separation three weeks before PPDS….

hairyscary

My last uncontrolled crash was about 18 months ago when I rode straight into a tree. I was probably doing about 15mph and it brought me to a dead stop, bending my handlebars in the process, the bruising on my legs was still appearing 4 weeks later!
    I sold my DH bike shortly afterwards.
    I still crash but I’m generally in control of it and come away unharmed.

olddog

Yesterday at Dalby of all places. Going quite quick and stupidly misjudged a small jump, not paying attention really. Got some funny looks in the cafe eating me lunch when I’d finished riding, what with me bloody knee, but looked much worse than it was. I come off properly a maybe once a month, but numerous prat falls, almost always due to lack of concentration

510ben
    Free Member

Yesterday at Ham Hill. Missed the braking on a corner and went down a ditch.

bella
    Free Member

Megavalanche qualifying race. Handlebars hit by another rider on a fast fire road section. Sore. Main race was a bit sore too. Turns out I was yelping like a little girl because I had broken my shoulder. Still beat my brother.

bigad40
    Free Member

If I fall off in the woods and there’s no-one around do I make a noise?

Haze

About 3 weeks ago after 6 pints of various Enville Ales in the Cat.

MoreCashThanDash

One night ride last winter – cutting across the old disused American Adventure car park after dropping off the back of the group, popped my front wheel up over a kerb, front wheel just went out from under me, landed helmet first.

Slight headache, and decided to replace the helmet as it was the second time I’d landed on that one!

skiboy
    Free Member

Went over the bars in super slow mo two weekends back, only 2nd off road ride since breaking my right wrist into little pieces and having a forced 5 month sabbatical ,

Hurt a bit but realised it was due to being a little scared, put the fear behind me last weekend wasn’t easy but felt much better and apart from clipping a tree with my bars during a rooty decent I got home in one bit a lot happier 🙂

toxicsoks
    Free Member

SITS. On that freaking off-camber bit about half an hour after the thunderstorm had turned it into custard! 😐

Bregante

A few weeks back at Glentress. Last run down of the weekend on the blue from buzzards nest. Theres a short black section with a step down/drop that I must have hit 20 or so times previously without problems. No idea what happened but next thing I remember is sitting in my mates car going through Moffat on the way home 😕

jonba
    Free Member

Update : At about 7:30 half way into a cross race – binned it on a corner and had to go pick my bike out of the bushes – lost two places as well as having a nice bruise.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Twice in a week on my road bike in late feb/early march. The first I hit a sticky out bit of kerb and went over the bars, the second a car took me out. The lack of falls since then is possibly in part due to the fact that I’ve not dared attempt anything tricky as I rebuild my confidence! Getting there though, and I almost fell off last week when I couldn’t quite make it up a steep muddy slope and started sliding back down as I desperately tried to unclip before I toppled.

stratman
    Free Member

It was some time ago, but it was as I started a climb up the road from whatstandwell to Crich. I was mashing the pedals, and my hand slipped off the bar end and I was on the tarmac. No harm done, but boy did I feel stupid!

slugwash
    Free Member

Dartmoor, last Sunday. OTB with a soft landing…..

Gilles

Well this summer, as it was so muddy, a few descents around Bath ended up with a nose in the mud. CCTV recordings to prove it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3udjuGkuw[/video]

stevomcd
    Free Member

Caught myself the other day thinking I hadn’t fallen off all season and hadn’t had any bike hassles. Clearly no good could come of this.

Took a stupid OTB on Sunday and trashed brake hose and reverb remote!

Then fell off yesterday (client’s fault!) and bruised my ribs.

maccruiskeen

Last comedy off was when I tried to get a bit smart negotiating a stile

I used a stile to fall on to the bike. Climbing over a stile with bike on shoulder, realising the stile is a bit tall and wobbly I decide to chuck the bike to safety in the long grass. As I chuck it the saddle rail hooks itself into the hose clip on my camel pack so what I actually do is chuck myself into the long grass

seosamh77
    Free Member

The other week up at pitlochry, passed by this skateboard bowl thing, fired down it, under-estimated the speed required to keep myself on the bike while trying to ride around the wall, wallop! off I go, quite sore! I now remember why I gave up crashing!

cookeaa

two weeks ago. riding local cheeky trails tire went sideways unexpectedly on a wet root I went over the other way into some brambles an nettles. scratched arms and neck but otherwise no harm…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

So how did you guys, who tempted fate yday, get on with sod’s law last night?

Anyone take a tumble?

atlaz
    Free Member

About 3 and a bit weeks ago on the road bike. Dumped it at about 35kmph into a barrier avoiding a pedestrian who couldn’t decide which way to go.

Before that I had a ride on the MTB a couple of months back where I crashed 3 times in one ride. First one was a chain snapping on a climb and the other two were just bad riding on my part. After the third crash I avoided pushing my luck and rolled back to the road as I didn’t fancy my chances with ridge-edge trails.

jedi

riding off flegere in chamonix 2 weks ago in the wet. trying to ride a mass off roots/rocks and fallen tree 🙂

hjghg5
    Free Member

Sods law has hit. Not on the bike but I managed to trip myself up and go flying while running and now have some impressive pavement rash down my leg, cut knee and palms…

passtherizla
    Free Member

I fall almost every ride… I put that down to me being rubbish not gnarly.

mattjg
    Free Member

Last night attempting to get over a fallen log, got the pedal underneath it (I think) and dumped unceremoniously OTB. Must have been comic. Bloodied knee and bruised shin, nothing too nasty.

nbt

Ro5ey – Member – Quote
    So how did you guys, who tempted fate yday, get on with sod’s law last night?

Anyone take a tumble?

Discretion overruled valour last night given the stair rods falling from the sky as we prepared to set off. No tumbles to report, although we did have a nice ride

cuberider
    Free Member

Two weeks go. Lost the front changing my line at the last minute – always a mistake!

Was flung into the bracken landing on my head / shoulder and fingers. Fairly painful but nothing broken thanks to the absence of rocks.

Ladders
    Free Member

Not off road (done loads of those this year though!)

Hit this lump on the way to Hampton Court this morning at about 25mph

Doesn’t look that big in the photo’s because of the angles, but it was like hitting a brick! Throw me up and I was doing an uncontrolled rolling endo for about 10 metres with me thinking ‘this is going to hurt if I hit the road!’ but managed somehow to land on the grass verge.

Still hurt and did this

Not very pleased!

bigrich

came off the dh bike and snapped my spatula and separated my shoulder. 6 weeks later and i can lift a wine glass.

neninja
    Free Member

Last night – Small Block 8’s combined with clay mud followed by slippery mud hidden by undergrowth = front tyre going awol.

No real damage done as it was a soft landing onto grass. Just a small chunk out of left shin from hitting on something on the bike.

clubber
    Free Member

Last night – had been out trail building and had only brought a road legal light – rode the last bit of trail and didn’t see a root/rock and went OTB – only scrapes luckily.

bigrich – Member
    came off the dh bike and snapped my spatula

😀

igrf
    Free Member

Nov 5th last year, some kids had been busy ‘trail building’ digging a bloody great hole to make a gap jump unfortunately they hadn’t gotten round to building the up trailside kicker and Autumn leaves had fallen since they started and me riding it last, Nightriding, came round the bend full tilt Helmet lite saw it too late didn’t get enough lift and front wheel hit the other side, went right up in the air came down head first, knocked me even more stupid, came too dog licking my face.

D0NK

we talking crashes or do full body dabs and controlled dismounts count?

Fell off the woodwork at llandegla training area when my associate stopped right infront of me and I couldn’t unclip, fortunately got unclipped mid fall and landed on my feet.

Last body dab was nan bield on the easy grass bit, front wheel just went off the trail.

Been a good while since a proper crash including pain, won’t be long now I reckon.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

3 weeks 2 days ago- combo of washed out trails so very loose and going slower than normal and wheels went from under me and I landed heavily on a raised tree root right on my ribs- another 3 weeks I reckon before I can ride properly again- I didnt cry though!!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I fell off my CX bike on my commute home across the Quantocks in the dark and rain back in March, only a few cuts, bruises and grazes by it still hurts when I kneel even now. 😕

hamishthecat
    Free Member

came off the dh bike and snapped my spatula

Thisisaspoon then 😀

andyl
    Free Member

last time – last night on the mendips. Sat there spinning the back wheel in the mud not going anywhere until the inevitable fall sideways into the mud while still clipped in.

Time before that was 2 paintful over the bars at Leigh Woods in Bristol on Monday getting cocky on the jumps and drop offs. Elbow still a bit swollen and legs have quite a few bruises.

Alex

Fella in front of me had a proper OTB in the Malverns ending with the bike landing on his head. I was laughing so much I exited stage front at the site of his accident. Then three days later the ‘summer’ conditions’ offered insufficient traction for a man maxing out his ineptitude while attempting to adjust his helmet light.

I came hone 95% man. 3% mud, 2% blood 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time you fell off?’ is closed to new replies.