Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Helvellyn – How good is that?
  • Spin
    Free Member

Went up Helvellyn from Glen Ridding, over the top, round by Dollywaggon Pike to Grisedale Tarn then down Grisedale. All in perfect sunshine.

As they say round my way ye canny whack it.

A top day out.

butcher

I’ve only ever walked Helvellyn. What route do you take up. Do you bypass striding edge and go up the back?

Spin
    Free Member

I went up the bridle way from Glenridding past the Youth Hostel and mine and up to the top of White Side. I’d estimate 80% rideable to the top of Helvellyn.

The descent was absolutely awesome. A total tech fest.

It was just such a peach of a day that I felt the need to share!

butcher

Just looked it up on the map. Been thinking of doing it for a while, but couldn’t picture the route. Will have to give it a go… Mind you, I thought I was going to die walking up it….nevermind on the bike!

wilde86
    Free Member

butcher, couple of pics of that route on my blog, may help you picture the route.. 🙂

http://riding-out-loud.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/helvellyn-october-2011.html

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Been up there twice now and both times I couldn’t see naff all when I got to the top. Had to laugh the last time we went up there when we were sheltering from the elements behind a cairn. A walker who’d just came up from swirrels edge looked at my nephew and I, our bikes, and said ” how the hell have you got up here with them bikes?” We looked at each other and at the same time said : “carried ’em”
    Halfway back down

faz083
    Free Member

I just did helvellyn on my bike last Sunday for the first time and it was a laugh. Carried up white side (awful decision – steps the whole way), but good at the top. Was a clear day, no rain, no low cloud, and saw 3 people on the way up (all of which stop to talk – guaranteed when carrying a bike up a mountain 😀 ), got to the top and not a soul in sight on a nice enough day. Was uncanny given the last time I was there it was July, snowing, negative temps, and the wind shelter was absolutely packed.

But anyway, went down sticks pass and saw a grand total of ZERO people on the descent. Almost unreal, was expecting it to be packed. Certainly a few get off and walk moments as the gradient can be so steep and that combined with sharp drops and loose slate could end nastily. Got down in one piece and got to say it was some great riding!

excitable1
    Free Member

I did Helvelyn last year. It was definitely one of the highlights and a must do again for this year. The Dolly Wagon trail is a proper techy descent. I had a huge grin from ear to ear when I got down.

I went up via the Great Dodds. This makes the route a bit longer with some nice short fast descents before you get to Helvelyn itself. But you have to watch the weather as it can get quite boggy across Bruts Moss.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn – How good is that?’ is closed to new replies.