Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • When accidental drunken eBay purchases go right
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Flare

OK, so the initial reaction the morning after, as I read the email and it DIDN’T say “your derisory offer has been refused”, was pretty much “oh shit”.

But now I’ve collected it and had a go, albeit a bible around Savernake Forest with my nipper. Just needs new saddle and a couple of tweaks. It’s lovely 🙂 fits perfectly and pretty much as new, a great deal at £2k and will get me off the ebike and fitter over the winter.

What’s your best drunken purchase?

Northwind

That’s how I bought my Hemlock- stuck in a ridiculously low bid while drunk, a week later discovered a) I’d bid on a Hemlock and b) I’d bought a Hemlock. Went pretty well all things considered 🙂

chestrockwell

In the middle of the Covid bike madness I put a wine fueled £500 starting bid on a Marin Four Corners Elite which turned out to be the only bid. Great buy and my most used bike since.

For reference I had watched various similar spec bikes go for £1000+ so thought it was a bargain. Had plenty of retro pots of gold won by the odd idle bid over the years but that’s another rabbit hole.

DezB
    Free Member

Oohh… purple ! 😁

matt_outandabout

Marin Four Corners Elite

@chestrockwell
    what do you think of it?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

and will get me off the ebike and fitter over the winter.

Don’t be silly. Everyone knows e-bikes get you fitterer.

Klunk
    Free Member

us strat 2005 in dark wine(don’t think it had ever been played)

cost £415

chiefgrooveguru

Is that Sam’s old bike? Very nice!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Don’t be silly. Everyone knows e-bikes get you fitterer.

To be fair, I love it to bits, and it HAS got me much fitter than I was, I’m just lazier than most and modus operandi is for a 25km blast on full gas. Reckon over winter that hour is better off spent on something like this. I literally have no other bikes I could do that on, no sir.

Who the **** am I kidding, it’s just blatant N+1 territory.

RichPenny
    Free Member

CGG, it’s not, if that’s the one up on the Cotic site? This has Hope X2’s, Fortus 26 wheels and F20 pedals, as extras on the base build.

DesB, in no way was I influenced by the purple.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I bought ”Geoff” my taxidermied badger 8 years ago after a drunken ebay escapade. He stare’s out of the front window scaring passers by.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Got a pic?

chiefgrooveguru

Ah, I was thinking of what I think is Cotic Sam’s current bike:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2020/samsledge

Mister-P
    Free Member

I bought my daughter a tatty BMX on Thursday evening whilst enjoying a beer or two. It’s pretty rusty but a few minutes with some tin foil has cleaned up the bars nicely. I reckon stripping it, a day of cleaning, replacing the brakes & chain and popping some mag wheels on it will transform it into a decent little ride.

doomanic

I bought an AP Classic rebreather while on holiday in Amsterdam! We were in a “coffee” shop mooching wifi and and it popped up on my watch list as nearly ended. I chucked a cheeky low bid on, about £500 lower than the going rate, and promptly forgot about it until I got the congratulations email the next time I had some wifi. I did some fantastic diving on that thing and sold it for more than I paid for 18 months later. Winner.

tthew

I still have a drunken regret. I wasn’t pissed enough to forget I’d bid £600 on a rally prepared Skoda Estelle and told my missis. If I’d have been truly shitfaced, I’d probably have won this thread. ☹️

chestrockwell

what do you think of it?

@matt_outandabout
    it’s ace mate, just the job. I struggle to work out the difference between gravel/touring/cx/whatever and think this is classed as a tourer but I use it for general 30/50km rides linking roads, BW, moor tracks etc and it’s extremely comfortable and perfectly acceptable off road. It’s become my most used bike tbh, a bit hefty (less so now I’ve changed the tyres and gone tubeless) but a great all-rounder.

Tim
    Free Member

Northwind
    That’s how I bought my Hemlock- stuck in a ridiculously low bid while drunk, a week later discovered a) I’d bid on a Hemlock and b) I’d bought a Hemlock. Went pretty well all things considered 🙂

You didnt buy mine did you? 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

TVR350i – Still running the injection fuel pump but connected to carbs so running a bit rich and only one of the rear wheels had enough suspension parts to stop it rubbing gainst the front and back of the wheel arch depending which way you cornered. Frightening and sold 5 months later to a drunk bloke on eBay for a profit

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My PlanetX Carbon Evo disc was a late night drunken purchase. Seeing as they are now nearly double what I paid and we’ve had a classic summer to ride I’m not complaining.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I’m pretty guilty of this. Usually its just records or band t-shirts after getting hammered after the Mrs has gone to bed and deciding that whatever i’m listening to is THE BEST THING EVER!

Northwind

Tim
    Free Member

You didnt buy mine did you?

Nah, it was an ex-demo from I think Leisure Lakes. I remember ChrisL of this parish basically saying “That seems like a lot of bike, what are you going to do with that”? Everything, was the answer.

frankconway

Rich, that worked out well but…you may not get the same result next time.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘When accidental drunken eBay purchases go right’ is closed to new replies.