• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mboy.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheels and brakes
  • leonthepro
    Free Member

New bike on its way and want to use one set of wheels and discs on two bikes.

Bike one SRAM guide brakes
    Bike two Shimano brakes
    Wheels SRAM discs.

Assume the caliper mounts on each bike match i.e. bike one 180 and 180.

Any issues doing this? Two different pads on the same disc or anything else or will it work??

Hope that makes sense, thanks

Yak

Can’t see why it won’t work. Keep an eye on cassette / chain wear etc.

tjagain

You might have to realign the calipers when you swap wheels as tolerances can mean the disc spacing is slightly different

Different pads on the same disc is not optimal – you will soon see if it degrades braking power but I doubt it

mboy
    Free Member

It won’t be ideal having 2 different pad track depths wearing on the same set of discs at the same time…

It’ll work, but braking power will rarely be optimal on either bike.

thols2

It won’t be ideal having 2 different pad track depths wearing on the same set of discs at the same time…

It’ll work, but braking power will rarely be optimal on either bike.

In practice, it won’t make any real difference as long as you give them a quick bed in before you start any serious descent. Literally, 10 seconds of hard braking will be enough to get them sorted.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Cool. Will give it shot. Thanks

mboy
    Free Member

In practice, it won’t make any real difference as long as you give them a quick bed in before you start any serious descent. Literally, 10 seconds of hard braking will be enough to get them sorted.

If… and it’s a VERY strong if… You are very very lucky!!!

I wouldn’t do it myself… If I had to run one set of wheels between 2 bikes, I’d standardise the brakes on both bikes so that at the very least the brake pad shape was identical to minimise any chances of sub optimal braking power.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.