Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wheel Building where to begin
  • lillyarn
    Free Member

Mr lillyb is laid up at home recovering from leg fracture, and I was thinking of getting him into wheel building while he is doing nothing at home (and pining for being out biking) so:
    1)Is it easy to start or do you need to do a course?
    2)What do I need to buy?
    3)Where can I buy everything?

Thanks in advance

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

1)Yes and no
    2)Start by downloading Roger Musson’s Wheelpro book. That explains it all, what you need, everything 🙂
    3)Anywhere! Used hubs off ebay/mates/classifides, rims too sometimes. I get my spoes from CRC as they seem about the cheapest and will do a set just for one wheel in 2 different lengths which you need fairly often

Once you’ve done one, you’ll be looking for excuses to do more.

But having said that, start by learning to true wheels first. Once you can do that, the rest is (Really) easy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what PP said a lot easier than you think it will be and should not be beyond anyone who services / builds their own bike

Tiboy

What PP said, I bought Roger’s book and even built wheel truing stands to his design, awesome book and well worth the price.

Del

without wanting to deprive anyone of a living i would just read what sheldon brown had to say about it, follow the ( easy ) instructions, and go for it.
    truing stand is nice and convenient – doesn’t have to be flash, make your own dishing stick out of a piece of wood and two screws, the component parts, a tube of light loctite, a spoke key, a methodical approach, and away you go.

lillyarn
    Free Member

cheers all, now I know where to begin, although not sure I like the idea that he’ll find excuse to do more.
    Does this mean I’m going to have a garage full of wheels as well as bikes, or will this lead to a conversation along the lines as “look at all these wheels, now i’ll have to buy a lots of new frames……”

AdamM
    Free Member

Does this mean I’m going to have a garage full of wheels as well as bikes, or will this lead to a conversation along the lines as “look at all these wheels, now i’ll have to buy a lots of new frames……”

LOL, probably both!

BigJohn

Sheldon Brown’s instructions are fine. I’ve built loads of wheels and only ever used an upside down bike and a piece of chalk for trueing.
    The best way to start is to replace a rim by taping the new (identical) rim to the old one and swapping the spokes over 1 by 1.

andywhit
    Free Member

Yes, Sheldon’s instructions are fine (not sure about using an old crank for stress relieving though, I use my hands)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Building where to begin’ is closed to new replies.