• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DeeW.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wheel Build – DT Swiss XM 481 vs EX 511
  • dmorts

I’ve decided to build up some wheels as a project, starting with the front wheel. I’m looking to build up some ID 30mm rims on to Hope Pro 4 hubs. The rims will be either DT Swiss XM 481 or EX 511.

Firstly, I’m unsure of which rim to go for. Then there’s the choice of how many spokes…28 or 32.

How do I go about narrowing it down?

honourablegeorge

481 are really tough, 511 are even tougher. How hard are you on wheels, and how rocky and nasty are your trails?

481 front and 511 rear also an option, as is 28 front and 32 rear

SirHC

Serial wheel killer: EX511

Otherwise its XM481.

Had a pair on my enduro since July 2018, they’ve done 400,000ft of descending, no dents or major bends, broken a few spokes.

28/32, you are going to save 15g per wheel roughly. If I was building up a set of lightweight xc wheels, then I’d be tempted, trail/enduro bike, nope!

Will be building up a second set of wheels in the next few months, XM481 front, XM421 rear, DT240 hubs, going for a lightish build for the trail bike and enduro bike when I want a quicker set of wheels for big all day rides.

joebristol

I typed out a detailed reply and then lost it before posting ffs!

Essentially I had e1900 wheels and they were fine over a few years so decided XM481’s would be strong enough plus they’re lighter than EX511s. So I went with those on Pro4 hubs and dt competition spokes.

You have to use phr washers but they come with the rims – as did alu squorx nipples. I considered buying brass ones as that’s my usual preference but the general consensus was the alu squorx are probably ok – so I soaked them in wet chain lube before building just to be on the safe side.

Starbike are often the cheapest for DT Swiss rims and Rose often the cheapest for DT Swiss spokes.

I went 32 spokes as I figured it’s stronger for barely any extra weight.

chakaping
    Free Member

You haven’t said what you want to do on them, what bike for, how much you weigh and how hard you ride.

And you might consider 511 rear & 481 front.

I’d disregard 28h options personally, can be a ballache down the line.

dmorts

I’ve not killed any wheels, worst I’ve done is flat spotted an Easton Arc 27 rim (not too difficult!). Trails are mainly Tweed Valley trail centres and the enduro/DH trails (Golfie, Inners). I’m not a heavy myself either (~73kg).

ehrob

Depends what you’re planning on doing with them.

I’d suggest 32 spoke builds for all of my applications – which covers trail riding, enduro and DH. The small weight increase for me is worth it considering the stiffness and durability gains.

As for 481 vs 511 – that’s a trickier one. I use 481s and haven’t killed one yet across three wheelsets (both 27.5 and 29). If I did kill one I’d think about a 511 as a replacement, though as the 481s have lasted well for me, and rims are somewhat disposable, I’d also consider replacing with another 481. It’d depend on the circumstances of how I killed it. i rode a 511 wheelset on a demo bike which felt very similar to the 481s (i bought one of those bikes, but specced with 481 rims). I’d be hard pressed to notice the difference. But as I said, 481s seem strong enough for me.

Bulk of my riding is done in the tweed valley FWIW.

edit – I weigh about the same as you OP.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m about the same weight as OP and have been really impressed with 481’s. Use them on my P7 29 HT with Hope hubs. 28h front, 32 rear. Juts over 1 year old now and no issues at all. If I am to build a new set of wheels, I will use these rims for sure. I’m no wheel killer, so 511’s would have been ott.

hatter

Get a female T25 tool so you can use the T25 torx heads to build them, really speeds things up.

DT even do a female T25 driver bit with an adjustable depth limiter, genius bit of kit if you’re lacing multiple wheels.

joebristol

I’ve got the DT squorx driver – it did make assembly really easy. I used a dab of grease to stick the phr washers to the nipple as well (insert joke about lubed up nipples) which helped get things together without dropping washers or losing nipples inside the rim etc.

ogden
    Free Member

I built a set of hope/xm481 wheels last year for my trance and they are brilliant. I was going to build another set up for my Capra last month but I couldn’t find xm481 rims at a decent price so went with ex511’s. If you aren’t bothered about weight buy whichever you can get cheaper, if you kill wheels get ex511 or if you’re a gram counter get xm481’s: although there wasn’t really a massive difference between the two.

Riding them I can’t tell much difference.

i.e. you can’t go wrong with either tbh.

poah
    Free Member

check out https://fitwheels.eu/ for dtswiss builds. I’ve got EX471’s and 24″ stans crests from Lukasz. He can build specific to your requirements as well as whats on the web page.

leegee

I’m heavier than you and use 502’s which have been great, just to give another option

fathomer

I weigh about the same as you and ride in the Peak, Lakes etc. so pretty rocky and I like to think I don’t mince to much. I’ve put one ding in the rear XM481 on my 120mm travel bike in the last year, on a ride where I forgot to top up the air when they where pretty new, it also pinched flatted the tyre.

I like them enough that I’ve just bought another set for the planned 29er hardtail.

BearBack
    Free Member

so I soaked them in wet chain lube

Why? DT say no to lubing the thread.. the squorx nips are procloc. but this is no doubt a long running debate, but a bit different to the grease/no grease to loctite’d brake bolts.

I would aim to get the wheels laced and tensioned withing a couple of days though.
    I do however (as recommended) grease the interface between nipple and phr washer (not the threads).

FWIW, DTs XM1501 30 wheels use the XM481 rims in 28h guise.
    I’d choose this rim every time unless I was heavier than most, racing enduro or riding the alps/bike parks.

joebristol

I had a few people who suggested using some lube on the nipples so I thought I’d go with it.

jamiemcf

About 4 years ago I built a set of pro4s on EX471s. Then I did up a Pro2evo and rebuilt the front pro4 onto an EX511 and used the old EX471 and pro2 Evo as a spare rear.

All still running true with some slight dings to the rims but nothing that won’t seal.

32spokes front and rear. Not a lightvwheelset but bombproof

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a set of these on some 240s hubs (well, and other set of XM1501s) which I put down as the best wheelset I’ve ever used, and that includes some very expensive carbon.

The 481’s are 3 years old, I’ve done probably 40 races on them, a summer in Whistler, 3 trips to Finale to race the EWS & others, weeks in the Apls etc. They are still round & true, the rear wheel has a couple of small dings & it’s getting tired as there are some small fatigue cracks around some spoke holes.

I’d have been into double figures of broken carbon wheels in the same amount of time. And these ride nicer.

duncancallum

I’m on 511s.

But I’m a fat talentless ****

DeeW
    Free Member

I’m running 481 front and 511 rear. Previously had a few flat spots on a 481 rear, so decided the extrs few grams on the rear was worth it.

My current set are 28 hole, just cos I got some cheap 28h hubs. Still perfectly true after almost 2 years with a fair bit of abuse.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Build – DT Swiss XM 481 vs EX 511’ is closed to new replies.