Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What's your compulsion(s)?
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Just watching the OCD doc on Ch4 with Jon Richardson and the more I think about it, the more I realise I too have little nuances. I have to brush my teeth in a particular way and I have to wash my body before my hair (though I suspect these are just habits). I am very aware of what I walk on on pavements though not to the extent of him!

So, whats your compulsion? do we have any OCD sufferers on here?

Cougar

I have to reply to trolls on STW. (-:

I’d like to think that most of my CDO quirks are based in logic. Like, I have my spice jars in alphabetical order, but that’s so that I can find what I need in a hurry when I’m cooking without having to riffle through two dozen jars whilst my dinner’s burning.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think there’s definitely one OCD sufferer here somewhere who knows what a complete cock of a disorder it is. And popping back to check you’ve turned the hall light off, or always masturbating with the same hand shape probably isn’t OCD.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I am compelled to Skank every time I here a funky brass-section and choppy chords.

It’s a problem i’ve learned to live with.

donsimon
    Free Member

Change hands at 99.

highclimber
    Free Member

Change hands at 99.

YOu count your ‘shuffles’?

donsimon
    Free Member

8)

CountZero

I am compelled to Skank every time I here a funky brass-section and choppy chords.

I’m so with you on that one!
    I try to keep it as private as possible, though… 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

And popping back to check you’ve turned the hall light off, or always masturbating with the same hand shape probably isn’t OCD.

I had a spate of popping back to check I’d turned the house elec items off 4 or 5 times, including twice when I turned around about 9 miles out and went back to check something I’d literally ticked off on a checklist. I’m probably borderline in some areas but I reckon I have it under control now!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Light switches: in the living room there’s a pair that operate the ceiling and wall lights respectively. But there is a third switch that also operates the ceiling light so if that is used, the pair if switches are in opposite positions when both ceiling and wall lights are on/off. Gaasaaaah! I have to flick the third switch to resolve the pair.

Socks: must be put on before trousers. Subsequently removing socks is fine. But trousers must never go on with bare feet.

stewartc
    Free Member

I like every thing to be level, like magazines in a pile or DVDs on a shelf, really bugs me when I visit friends places and I see absolute chaos everywhere.
    I also do the sign of the cross when taking off on a plane, guess that is a ritual more than OCD?

weeksy

[img]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/weeksy59/YZF-R1/DSC_0179.jpg[/img]

Cleaning motorbikes.

highclimber
    Free Member

Just remembered – I thnk my biggest one is un-straight picture frames. I literally cannot abide wonky picture frames and will attempt to straighten it and it will infuriate me if it won’t stay straight!!

alfabus
    Free Member

@weeksy – how come the left side of your bike is a different colour from the right side?

Dave

binners

highclimber – snap! I can’t stand anything not being at right angles. This goes way beyond picture frames though. Everything in the house has to be straight and lined up properly. Luckily, the better half is way worse than me for this. Proper OCD has that one 😀

MrsToast
    Free Member

I always eat the contents of meals in a particular order. For example, with packed lunches it’s always sandwiches, crisps, Chocolate/biscuit/cake. I put this down to the dinner ladies at primary school being really strict about enforcing that order when I was a child. Even with cooked meals, I tend to eat meat first, then veg, then carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes, etc). One component has to be eaten before starting on the next. :/

philconsequence
    Free Member

vegetables first…. comes from bing forced to sit at the table and finish my vegetables as a kid, if i left them til last they’d be cold with cold gravy on them 👿

DezB
    Free Member

Cherry tomatoes & cheddar. Have to be in the bottom of my lunch salad or I’ll have a bad day.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m so with you on that one!
    I try to keep it as private as possible, though…

we need to start a self help group

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMGhWk7dJ58&feature=related[/video]

and we HAVE to throw this in, seeing as one of the guys is an STWer..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbzxjzwLMM&feature=related[/video]

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Who is the STWer? There are two I can see with facial hair.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Jizzing on trees.

theotherjonv

I have to have the volume control on radios or hifi’s in ’round’ numbers.

Nothing below 5 (it’s inaudible), can’t use 6 (because you’d use 5 instead, you can’t tell the difference), 7’s a definite no (it’s a prime number FFS!) which makes 8 acceptable. No to 9 or 11, because 10 will do, 12’s OK, then 15, and so on.

The wife has this odd compulsion to set the volume according to the right ”loudness’ level. Thankfully I have a steering wheel control so when she’s no looking and between tracks, i can usually notch it up or down one to get things back on an even keel.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I sadly do suffer with OCD. I’ve assumed it’s something that has been with me all my life although it only became a problem for me when I was about 14.

I was quite happy with my need to compartmentalise, organise and clean but as I got older it affected my life dramatically and stopped me doing ‘normal’ everyday things. I rarely went out with school/college friends because all day at school I was thinking about something at home that wasn’t right. I was desperate to go home and re-organise and clean which would literally take from the moment I got home from school to bed time.

My biggest problem was, strange as it sounds, dust! I couldn’t allow anything to get dusty and I was cleaning the same things over and over again to remove any trace of dust. I had a plastic box full of cleaning tools which were sealed to ensure no dust could get to them so that when I cleaned things I wasn’t spreading dust around. When it really started to get my down my solution to the problem was to remove as many items from my bedroom as possible to avoid collecting dust. So I had a bedroom that had a bed, a table, a lamp, a wardrobe and a portable TV.

Anyway, long story short, I’ve managed to control it for the most part of my adult life but I still clean obsessively and am frighteningly methodical. It doesn’t control my life anymore but it’s always with me. It was good to see that documentary last night and it was a surprise to me just how much it can utterly take over and devastate peoples lives.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not OCD as such but I used to organise things too much. My mountain bike mates loved it as for holidays, I’d have every spare known to man, rear mechs, shifters, bearing kits, bearing drifts, cable and outer sets, brake fluid the lot.

This year I seem to have been cured as I simply couldnt be bothered with all that despite them pleading with me to make my list. I did the list then didn’t bother bringing most things on it. Don’t know if they brought the items they said they’d bring either as I didn’t check.

it hit home to them how cured I was when I punctured and had to get my tyre off with a single Allen key and then didn’t have a spare tube with me!

They don’t like the disorganised me but I love it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Odd numbers suck. Anything divisible by 4 kicks ass.
    Prime or other “special” numbers are exempt from sucking.

Mild compulsion to do anything with right hand that I do with left (and vice versa) e.g. sratching right side of head with right hand is soon mirrored by scratching left side of head with left hand – do this a lot, but doesn’t wind me up if I don’t “comply”.

Worst case has been scalding right hand with hot water (accident) and immediately doing same with left (on purpose) to even things up. Had serious word with myself after!

Always count number of paces when walking on varying surfaces e.g. tarmac changes to concrete – will always step on to new surface with right foot where poss (time steps to make it happen), if stepping on with left it feels wrong, in either case I always step off with the other foot than I stepped on with = the world is at peace 🙂

I’ve met plenty of people who do similar.

I’d have every spare known to man, rear mechs, shifters, bearing kits, bearing drifts, cable and outer sets, brake fluid the lot.

Nothing odd there. Unless you take 2 of everything 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What's your compulsion(s)?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM