• This topic has 70 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • What's cheaper – a crack habit, or childcare?
  • Kryton57

the only nurseries that will survive if they carry on like this will be the ones run by large chains who can afford to run on slim margins.

Ours has been taken over 3 tomes in three years the last being absorbed into a big chain.

‘free’ goverment childcare is funded at less than cost by the goverment.

. It was explained to me that the government funding barely covered staff wages for the child, and wouldn’t include food, materials educational or otherwise etc that comes out of the full fee payers monies. In essence when there are there for their free 15 hours its pretty much at a loss per head.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t really get why parents don’t get together and do what the childcare places do.

I really don’t get why teachers and nursery staff don’t work a full day like everybody else and take the kids during actual working hours. The lazy *****.

doesn’t rise to the Troll.

This’ll get ‘im 😉

You know this is a joke right?

jam-bo

It was explained to me that the government funding barely covered staff wages for the child, and wouldn’t include food, materials educational or otherwise etc that comes out of the full fee payers monies. In essence when there are there for their free 15 hours its pretty much at a loss per head.

yep. in the hope that they’ll tack on extra paid for hours, or have a sibling etc etc etc.

oh and you can’t refuse to take a child on for the free 15 hours.

anagallis_arvensis

I really don’t get why teachers and nursery staff don’t work a full day like everybody else and take the kids during actual working hours. The lazy *****.

Try taking my holidays and I’ll **** you up in ways you have never even thought about ****!!!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Try taking my holidays and I’ll **** you up in ways you have never even thought about ****!!!

Fish in a barrel. 🙂

ampthill

seems to me to be an industry ripe for undercutting

So where are the cheap new nurseries? There absence sugests that its harder to do than you sugest

wrightyson
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people have kids then moan about the cost of giving them to someone else to look after, but that’s just me.

*edited for clarity*

leffeboy

We both dropped to 3/4 time and then staggered our start and end times. Works brilliantly but only if you work for flexible organisations. Otherwise I feel your pain. The right choices aren’t always obvious but having pals around with children at the same school also makes a huge difference

MoreCashThanDash

Wife and I have taken turns to work part time with minimal child care costs to avoid this. We moved north to be able to afford to do it but, but MrsMC is lucky having a career that means she gets good paid work anywhere.

A mates entire salary went on child care and petrol for his commute every month. It’s madness and very difficult for those who have to both go to work.

Xylene
    Free Member

but MrsMC is lucky having a career that means she gets good paid work anywhere.

Op their is your crack dealer there

MoreCashThanDash

8)

Busted

GrahamS

A mates entire salary went on child care and petrol for his commute every month.

Why did he keep on working?

In a sane world (ha!) he could have negotiated a couple of years sabbatical from his employer.

P-Jay
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    I don’t understand why people have kids then moan about the cost of giving them to someone else to look after, but that’s just me.

*edited for clarity*

People moan about stuff they willing take part in all the time, but for the record – I have 2 kids and I wasn’t involved in the planning stage for either of them 😉 I’ve been spayed since.

Stainypants

it does get a bit easier but we’ve got three in school, with 4 days a week after school and a few weeks holiday club a year it still costs me £6000 a year.

Simon-E

Funny how so many people expect someone else to do a job they wouldn’t do themselves, and for a crap wage; to be grateful for spending every day wiping other people’s kids’ snotty noses and sh*tty arses and keeping them (and yourself) from going mad before mummy finally calls round in her 4×4.

blader1611
    Free Member

You lot have it easy, i have twins and our only quote for childcare was £2500 per month. Suffice to say i quit my job and now look after the kids and its been brilliant although some days £2500 sounds like a bargain.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Simon E – Member
    Funny how so many people expect someone else to do a job they wouldn’t do themselves, and for a crap wage; to be grateful for spending every day wiping other people’s kids’ snotty noses and sh*tty arses and keeping them (and yourself) from going mad before mummy finally calls round in her 4×4.

The maddening things is that my Wife deals with
    more shitty arses in work than she would at home – she had her finger up an 70 year old Women’s arse not 15 mins ago!

GrahamS

Funny how so many people expect someone else to do a job they wouldn’t do themselves, and for a crap wage..

Actually I think one of the maddening things about nursery care is that you know, despite the immense amounts of cash changing hands, that most of the frontline nursery staff are not that well paid.

leffeboy

Just how accurate is that 🙁
    Doing actual work is rarely a satisfying nor effective way to earn cash

Dealing crack on the other hand….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This is why you marry a rich girl from a developing country.

When you have kids, you just fob them off on their massive extended family.

ferrals
    Free Member

more shitty arses in work than she would at home – she had her finger up an 70 year old Women’s arse not 15 mins ago!

Is she a lawyer or a banker?

footflaps

Is she a lawyer or a banker?

I was thinking Tory Politician….

ferrals
    Free Member

That’s a much better one 😆

funkmasterp

We survive on a single wage (mine) of £27k and the missus stays at home with our son. It’s tough and we’ve had to cut back on everything, but we decided we’d rather have a few rough years than both work just to pay nursery fees and not spend time with him.

I fully realise that this doesn’t work for everyone and it’s not the best solution. First World problems, but we’ve not had a holiday in two years or a meal out, cinema etc. No Christmas presents other than for the kid and I’m now down to one bike and dress like a homeless person.

No point complaining as it’s all just choices we get to make 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

maybe I shouldn’t say this

but here in Norway I pay a little over 200 quid a month for full time Nursery for my little one. The state covers most of the cost in part to encourage both parents to work. But that’s what you get for paying a fairly high income tax on salaries

anagallis_arvensis

My mate said he pays £150 a month in Sweden for full time nursery!! Suddenly the price of beer seems less of a problem!!!

Fish in a barrel.

darrell
    Free Member

errrr It’s ca 11 quid a pint downtown Stavanger

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My mate said he pays £150 a month in Sweden

yep thats what we pay for two kids who are there 9-3 4 days a week.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

2 pages and as yet not one Crackhead has posted about their habit v childcare cost comparisons.

senorj

We didn’t use the school nursery at all – we couldn’t make the timings work, so
    His nibs stayed in his day nursery until reception started.
    I’ve changed my hours to constant early shift so that I can collect him ,spend time with him & save money.
    Now the little bugger wants to go to all the after school stuff! Can’t win. 🙂

hooli

My wife has worked as a childminder, in a nursery school and a secondary school and the theme across all 3 has been that there is very little money to be made.

Childminding is actually the worst, people just take the p&^£. Its hardly £5 an hour, you need to be trained, you need to be registered, submit stuff to OFSTED, you need liability insurance, business insurance for your house and your car. You need to feed them, not just meals but snacks etc. You need carseats for them, a cot for the younger ones to sleep, toys and a host of other things that people forget about. Remember you cant just put a stranger in your kids cot.

My wife used to take the kids to play centres and various places to keep them entertained, this all costs and comes out of the hourly rate.

You need to document a load of stuff each day to satisfy OFSTED so that takes extra time in the evenings.

On top of this, the parents (naturally, I guess) expect a certain standard. House spotless, no washing hanging about, a certain standard of car for it to be safe enough to drive their kid around, even down to parking outside for pickups or drop offs. You would be amazed at what they grumble about.

Then to make it even better, the parents call to say they will be late. No offer of any extra money and if it is added to the invoice they get shirty.

Lastly, and my personal favourite, when they get the monthly invoice, they question the amount as we collected little Jonny at 4:15 rather than 5 one afternoon and even though we gave you no notice and those are or agreed hours, we don’t want to pay for it.

Trust me on this one, whatever it costs, its not nearly enough 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘What's cheaper – a crack habit, or childcare?’ is closed to new replies.