Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Whats a sensible amount to pay for 'board'?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So the yoofs got a job paying just over 1K a month. He’s 23 & eats like a hoss or should I say, grazes like a cow. Up to now all he’s been buying himself is his own beer & whatever snacks/pizzas/crisps he fancies. He gets his washing & ironing done doesn’t buy bog rolls/toothpaste/shower gel or other ‘consumables’or indeed, contribute towards the bills. Don’t get me wrong, while he was on jobseekers allowance I wasn’t bothered but now he’s earning I think it’s normal for him to cough up a bit. But whats a fair & sensible amount? ( bearing in mind that wer’e usually heading into the red by payday at the moment!)

druidh
    Free Member

Half the £1k

Junkyard
    Free Member

do you want him to stay or go?
    £50 – £150 per week dependent on the answer

Wookster

Free!! 😯

Blimey I was paying £50 w a week when I had my first summer Job in 1997!!! I reckon £50-60 a weeks fair game and you’ll still be at a loss remembering what I was like good wise as a chap!! 🙂

weirdnumber
    Free Member

When I did a brief spell back at my parents to get back on my feet (23) and was earning about the same I paid £200 a month which included everything and I also did pretty much all the chores except laundry.
    I thought I got off very reasonably and felt a little guilty about how little I paid. It allowed me to clear my debts and overdraft and get a deposit to move into my own place fairly swiftley which was ultimately the goal.

project
    Free Member

a third,

jambalaya
    Free Member

£50 a week. You might put the money aside for him so he has a deposit for his first rental place.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

but I’d be putting a hundred a month of that aside into an account without telling him as a surprise deposit for a house/flat when he gets to that point.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

What Z11 says sounds pretty fair.

lizzz
    Free Member

When in a similar situation but on a slightly lower wage, I was paying £200 a month… and doing my share of the cooking/cleaning, my own laundry etc.

I always thought £200 was low considering how much more it costs to rent a flat but parents wouldn’t take more.

skywalker
    Free Member

£50 a week is a fair amount, thats what I used to pay.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Aye…ton a week and give him back half when he bugger’s off.

br
    Free Member

If he’s a ‘saver’, £50pw.

If he’s a ‘spender’, £100pw and save £50pw for him.

druidh
    Free Member

My wife is bringing in just over £1k a month. I’m sure she’d be really pleased to be contributing just £50 a week to the household budget.

jota180
    Free Member

our eldest earns similar and pays £180/month

probably too little but ……

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He’s a bit of a spender, mainly on cars like BMW’s. Even when he had a part time job his mum never took anything off him & he managed to run a BMW. He went to uni which we didn’t contribute to but I think his dad chipped in. He’s running an old Fiesta at the moment but will be buying another BMW this week out of his first paypacket (3 weeks/£770)as his Mum’s letting him keep it, like my Mum did with my first one of £7.26 in 1972!
    I was thinking along the lines of £250-£300 a month but unfortunately his Mum’s proper soft with him.

althepal

£400 sounds about right to me.. Would have said £300 but as he’s still acting like a teen so charge him the full bhoona and stick some of it in an account for him..
    £1k at 23?? Sounds like a decent job!

pjm84
    Free Member

Used to pay a 1/3 of my pay and the odd big bill every quarter. I think youngsters pay far too little these days. I used to work with a guy taking home about £1300 a month and he was moaning because he had to pay his parents £100 a month. His mates didn’t pay anything so he thought it unfair. WTF!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Whats a sensible amount to pay for 'board'?’ is closed to new replies.