Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • What GPS atm?
  • Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Edge 540, 540 Solar, 840 and 840 Solar specs were released (leaked?) earlier this week.

Various roadie sites have posted an overview

Highlights seem to be…

Solar versions for 540 and 840
    Climb Pro changed to work predictively if not following a route
    UI changed to mirror the 1040

Basically, both are a smaller version of the 1040 with significantly less battery range.

alanf
    Free Member

Edge 1030 Plus can be had with a price match to Wiggle from Millets. That makes it £315 dropping it into the 830 price range.

stayhigh

Is the battery on the 1030 rubbish or am I getting mixed up with the Explore?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I have the 1030 plus, I find it great. The screen is a decent size. The battery life for me has been good, did a day out from about 9.30am to about 7.00pm, still several hours in the battery, screen on the whole time. I have no idea if it runs the full 24 hours promised, as I have never run it that low. You can get an extra battery pack (silly price backup, or was when I bought the main unit) or if not wet/raining you could I guess run it from any USB power bank.

You can set up multiple ‘profiles’ for route type / ride type. This includes route planning for cars and pedestrians and in fact I use the unit more for recreational walking than I do for the bike at the moment. Its been very good for that.

The mapping has loads of options, can choose a flat map or shading for contours etc and options to avoid certain road types. You can search for handy things like shops, hospitals and suchlike and it can search for addresses (at the time of purchase almost none of the bike sat navs could do this, its very handy).

Some of these features may be of less interest to those who love smart phones, but I hate them, so searching on the sat nav is good, with no phone call intrusion into the recreation part of my life.

The flexibiity of how it is set up is enourmous. I found it a bit ovewhelming on the first day or so and the manual pdf lacks massive of useful info that could be in it. YouTube is a friend here.

I cant comment much on the sports / health recording as I dont use that and dont bother with the various monitors you can buy and link to it.

It will work out all sorts of other things without the add ons, you can get a huge range of info on the screens, layout and content all chosen by yourself (such as hill grades, ave speed, estimated time to arrival at chosen point, laps, tons of other stuff).

Or you can just have a single bit of info on a screen page.

Its so flexible. A really handy thing is it will display ‘sunrise and/or sunset time’, great when deciding where to walk or ride in the daylight left or when to pitch or fold tent.

I really struggled to bring myself to pay for what was at the time Garmins top bike Sat Nav, the battery life and screen size were the pushing factors plus it was in a sale. It was a huge investment for me as I am not flush with money. Now, what must be a couple of years later, it travels with me almost every time I leave the house as its so useful/fun for walking and biking.

I feel, despite the horrible initial cost, that I made a really good choice when I got it (relief!!!).

If you have no patience with researching and setting up screens (pretty much a one off) it may not be for you.

z1ppy

Not to derail the thread, as no doubt others will find it useful, but my 1000 finally updated after 10 attempts and is now working again.. still probably need to replace it sooner rather than later

Mounty_73

Last year I bought an Edge 530 and I have been very pleased with it, battery life is very good.

I do need to sit down and read the instructions to get the most of it, but the turn by turn navigation is very useful.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.